Everton 0-0 Swansea. 12th Jan @ 15.00.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Very frustrating afternoon. They played very deep which didn't allow us to play through them and looked to hit us on the counter. Only half of their plan worked as they caused us very few problems. Fair play to them, they did their defensive job well and got what they came for. Their time wasting was awful though, I don't know whether anyone has ever received 2 yellows in the same game for time wasting but Vorm easily could have.

Our lack of depth in the squad is really showing now. Gibson and Mirallas out injured, Baines clearly not fully fit and as a result our bench isn't much to shout about.

We've played 3 teams twice now this season and picked up 4 points from each team. People will say we should have won all of them but 4 points taken from numerous teams is very good.

We're going to have to get used to dealing with teams who do this, like. A lot of gash teams are going to come to Goodison over the coming months with their buses at the ready. If we do, there's fun and games to be had.

We're going to have to get used to dealing with teams who do this, like. A lot of gash teams are going to come to Goodison over the coming months with their buses at the ready. If we do, there's fun and games to be had.

Was thinking this after about 20 minutes today. Sharp had it right (for once) when he said that pretty football is all well and good but sometimes we have to play the Fellaini advantage and hit the long diagonal ball. We missed Gibson's passing so much today it's unreal.

I actually go '[Poor language removed] sake' every time it goes to the left wing, because I know 9/10 times it'll be baines to Pienaar, to Baines again, then to Osman, to Pienaar the-oh they've caught us and they're on a break/goes out for a corner.

I'm afraid it's mainly down to Moyes and his tactics .. again. Sure Neville is a liability and had one of his worse games which was evident from the off, Ossie too was not as involved as of late too. Swansea set themselves up to stifle our left and did so successfully however for the first 20 mins Anichebe was skinning their young left back then moved infield why ? Coleman was clearly up for it today and our right would have been a good Plan B since the left side wasn't as productive as usual. The changes at the end and changing Felli from 2nd striker to CM and then back just smacked of the tactics of someone who lost it on the day. If Gibson is so fragile (wasn't it the same at Utd too ?) then we desperately need another, hopefully more reliable, DCM.

Also when will Moyes finally understand that Naismith is just not ready / good enough for the Premier league ?

Laudrup beat Moyes up tactically today.

They where disciplined, kept good shape, played the clock, closed us down in 2s & 3s and we never really looked like scoring.

Couple that with a few poor performances, Swansea will say job well done.Obviously came for the point and hoped of grabing a goal.

The most frustrating thing is we never had anything to unlock them. The bench was very poor. It just shows if key players have off days or are out injured we havent got a good enough squad.

Tactically you have to say Laudrup was spot on, without looking good they made us look average.

Very frustrating

Uh how? 1 good shot on goal. His tactics made Michu invisible with the exception of that 1 shot. There was little chance of them getting 3 today. They played for 1 measly point, got a bit of good fortune (bad finishing, getting a couple off the line) and their defenders played well. Its kind of sad when top 10 teams are parking the bus now. Its not like we have 250M of talent on the pitch like Chelsea or City. We are a skint 5th place team for christsakes.

Was thinking this after about 20 minutes today. Sharp had it right (for once) when he said that pretty football is all well and good but sometimes we have to play the Fellaini advantage and hit the long diagonal ball. We missed Gibson's passing so much today it's unreal.

We hit the the long diagonal ball, to much for me. The way to beat a team doing what Swansea did is spread the play, pull them from side to side. We couldn't do this because 1) our central midfield mystro didn't want the ball and when he did get it he just give back to the player that passed it to him. 2)our so called right winger couldn't be arsed running so took it upon himself to stand next to their centre back and react to absolutely nothing. We ended up very easy to defend against. Anichebe and Neville should have been replaced at half time. Oviedo would have been much more effective as we would have had some balance.

Watched it on delay this morning, pretty frustrating. I think we played well enough to win but it's the same story of missed chances. I don't understand why Chico was playing for Swansea? I thought he played for Everton Reserves - he's always casing the opposition every week and posting his expert opinions.

Anyway, I know this wasn't a great result (understatement) but it doesn't kill off our chances of challenging for champions league, it just makes it harder. I don't think you can judge the capability of a team based on one game, and based on the last 5-7 games, we're picking up enough points to at least be in sniffing distance (the best distance).

We need Gibson back asap or get someone in on loan, if we have genuine top 4 aspirations we can't play Neville in centre midfield he was a passenger yesterday, we also need Mirallas back and fit for the rest of the season, him and Coleman could be quite a dangerous combo....

i think we are going to have more results like this over the coming months....in all reality its amazing( and blessed) how we are so close to 3rd with the squad we have( whether you like it or not credit has to be given to DM / players) because when we have some guys off form / injured we are mundane at best..... take yesterday as a fine example Swansea did to u what we have done to so many teams over the yrs( gritted out a result) so we look to the bench for inspiration

SUB 1 - Naismith .....if hes your 1st port of call for that "magic spark" all i can say then is OMFG
SUB 2 - Vellios......in fairness 8 mins isnt a lot of time for anyone but the fact that he spent most of that time in our half "helping out" is CLEARLY not part of his game

but theres plenty more swings and aroundabouts left in this season yet lads

i think we are going to have more results like this over the coming months....in all reality its amazing( and blessed) how we are so close to 3rd with the squad we have( whether you like it or not credit has to be given to DM / players) because when we have some guys off form / injured we are mundane at best..... take yesterday as a fine example Swansea did to u what we have done to so many teams over the yrs( gritted out a result) so we look to the bench for inspiration

SUB 1 - Naismith .....if hes your 1st port of call for that "magic spark" all i can say then is OMFG
SUB 2 - Vellios......in fairness 8 mins isnt a lot of time for anyone but the fact that he spent most of that time in our half "helping out" is CLEARLY not part of his game

but theres plenty more swings and aroundabouts left in this season yet lads
Vicente Del Bosque was seen to be muttering ''Ffs Moist'' as he got off early.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back