Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Everton Agree Fee With Man Utd For Lukaku

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a suspicion that this will drag on and drag on and drag on.
Ed Woodward has sealed a quick deal for United in the 3 or 4 years hes been the top dog. Ibrahimovic took all summer, and that was a free!! Pogba dragged on all summer long, Mkhitaryan the same. Fellaini to United took an age, Martial is another one.
We might get nearer the £100m mark, but we'll run out of time to spend it again.

Would love to understand how on earth anyone can feel that £75m plus add ons is not brilliant business. Several things stand out for me:

1. Romelu Lukaku is never in a million years worth £100m. That would make him the most expensive footballer in history of the game. He's a very good striker, but he's not THAT good. His tendency for very patchy form and his two recent non-performances at major international tournaments say to me that there's something missing that prevents him from hitting the true heights. He may still get there, but he hasn't yet and therefore cannot possibly be viewed as being worth that money.

2. Romelu Lukaku is probably not worth £75m, in all honesty. When you look at which other players have gone for that kind of money. You're talking Pogba, Bale, Ronaldo, Higuain. Pogba for me doesn't deserve that fee either. The others are IMHO a level or several levels above Rom. Certainly Bale and Ronaldo are. £75m, plus add ons takes him to their level. Let's be honest, do any of us think he's THAT good? He's a good goal scorer but there are glaring deficiencies in his game and the tendency to not exert his influence the way he could and should. He needs to grow and improve an awful lot as a player lot to justify is kind of fee. Lacazette joined Arsenal today for what..£46m? Truthfully I think Lukaku's worth is much more at that end of the market.

3. Even if Everton did leak the £100m price tag, there's no way the could possibly have thought they'd get it. When you have an asset like Lukaku, who is under a long contract with no release clause - you set your price high knowing that clubs are going to try and drive you down. Had we set it at £75m, we might have been lucky to get £65m. Setting the bar unrealistically high means we get more than he's probably actually worth.

4. We paid £28m for Lukaku in 2014. Anyone honestly think he is three times the player he was then? He has improved for sure, but not THAT much. Genuinely, I think we're getting a brilliant deal here.

For crying out loud, it's not about what he's worth. No-one really thinks he's worth £100million.

I expect us to sign at least one quality forward on top of Rooney. Just sooner the better really. Ideally this is over quickly and we move on well before the Europa game. I just hope we've got a bigger fee than reported cause he's a proven PL goalscorer, a very rare breed.

We'll have Rooney, Sandro and another, possibly 2.

Put the snake to the back of your head, he's slithered away

We'll see how much the club have spent in 7 weeks time. At the moment we can see where we are - even if Lukaku goes at the reported price it would mean we have a negative net spend right now of £10m.

Today's events have brought that sharply back into focus.
What events? All I'm hearing is rumours of bids

Apparently Lukaku was due back today and has stayed in LA trying to force a move. Koeman supposedly livid.

Utd trying to do a medical in LA, which actually makes no sense if we've not agreed anything.

Haven't read the last 20 pages so apologies if already mentioned.

I have a suspicion that this will drag on and drag on and drag on.
Ed Woodward has sealed a quick deal for United in the 3 or 4 years hes been the top dog. Ibrahimovic took all summer, and that was a free!! Pogba dragged on all summer long, Mkhitaryan the same. Fellaini to United took an age, Martial is another one.
We might get nearer the £100m mark, but we'll run out of time to spend it again.

Every deal we have been involved with so far this summer has been done quickly, even - believe it or not - Sandro.

We want things sorting out.

This includes Rooney, who is valued at £10mill. So we are paying for a player who Man U are desperate to get rid of? Mugged off here.

Do you think we should have refused Sunderland's money for McGeady then? Or give Niasse away to anyone who shows an interest.

The fact is, if Rooney had shown any desire to play for any other PL club than Everton there would be about a dozen all happy to pay £10m for him.

Apparently Lukaku was due back today and has stayed in LA trying to force a move. Koeman supposedly livid.

Utd trying to do a medical in LA, which actually makes no sense if we've not agreed anything.

Haven't read the last 20 pages so apologies if already mentioned.

Joyce has already rubbished that story from the Mail matey.

And the deal is done I think. We were probably a bit riled United leaking it to the media, so bit back.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back