Everton confirm rejecting 28M for both Fellaini and baines

Status
Not open for further replies.
The quote's come from Moyes, probably at the press conference as you say. Loads of papers run stories on quotes that others don't. It's not like it's a HUGE REVEAL or anything that would be on all the back pages. Even The Mail doesn't usually completely fabricate direct quotes.

It does when a manager quotes a fee, that's still not 100% accurate, and says that's about right, like the fourth official quote says - I'm just comparing the two.

"If Sir Alex would have offered £28m for Baines and Fellaini when I was at Everton it would have been very hard to resist" Moyes

Can't see him admitting a transfer fee bid. No way. More than likely It'll be along the line of "be hard not to consider" rather than be a direct acceptance of a fee. More the intention of United being interested.

But like I say, I'll be first to call him a **** like if true.

Last edited:
But it falls on its arse, they don't sign anyone, they finish 3rd or 4th, the United fans won't have it and what them to spend.

They won't get our two players for a knocked down fee. That's a fact. Sorry, but Kenwright needs player sales to cover his club. Two key players go for lower than the market value means he's playing with fire. No money to cover costs and replacements, it's one or the other.

It also makes the new manager look like a prize bellend, and that his chairman is against him.

It's spin mate. £35-40mill is what we'll get. If not, then it'll be put to bed. No one is back handing or doing anyone any favours here.

It seems like we're under no pressure to sell and that the players themselves aren't pushing for a move. They're our two biggest assets and, if they do go, we'd expect the funds to cover us in the transfer market for a few seasons. So, unless the offer gets close to the maximum we could achieve for them, it looks like they're stopping.

If, for whatever reason, United are financially restricted they're not going to be able to come up with the sort of money that we'd be looking for.

I'm half surprised that Chelsea, City or Arsenal haven't made enquiries. Cole and Lampard aren't far off retiring and Mikel is supposed to be off. I've never rated Clichy and the Gunners are short in both midfield and defence.

It seems like we're under no pressure to sell and that the players themselves aren't pushing for a move. They're our two biggest assets and, if they do go, we'd expect the funds to cover us in the transfer market for a few seasons. So, unless the offer gets close to the maximum we could achieve for them, it looks like they're stopping.

If, for whatever reason, United are financially restricted they're not going to be able to come up with the sort of money that we'd be looking for.

I'm half surprised that Chelsea, City or Arsenal haven't made enquiries. Cole and Lampard aren't far off retiring and Mikel is supposed to be off. I've never rated Clichy and the Gunners are short in both midfield and defence.

Exactly.

Arsenal could lump £40mill on the table if they wanted and we'd sell. But they ain't...

I want to read the rest of that quote, and in fact, I would like to see him say it in context, rather than read some single snippet singled out for a headline (as this is the Daily Mail here and I never believe a thing it writes) but if he's actually trying to say that we should let our best players go to further their careers at the expense of our own club he can [Poor language removed] right off. I mean Christ alive, surely that's got to be the mail up to their snidey tricks.

Is he likely to say any different than that?

They keep Rooney and get Kagawa bang in form and get hold of Baines/Fellaini then even that bottling divvy Moyes will find it hard not to get them over the line.

Maybe Rooney will get over whatever is bothering him or he'll play better because he's fired up? I like the look of Kagawa too.

I'm not sure that De Gea is the sort of 'keeper that will win you the league. His shot-stopping is very good but the rest of his game needs a fair amount of work.

Their defence is ageing and they possibly need to break the Vidic-Ferdinand partnership to phase either Jones or Smalling into that position. Hummels would have been great for them, but they're already over-loaded in that department.

I don't see the appeal of Carrick. I quite like Cleverley but it's a big ask for him to be their Fabregas, Scholes or Gerrard. I'd have gone for Hamsik from Napoli a couple of years ago myself.

Their wingers (Zaha, Young, Valencia, Nani and Giggs) don't influence a game enough for me.

Could they have got Lewandowksi? Would he have been too similar to Van Persie? I don't mind Welbeck but I just don't see him scoring enough and I think that will be their problem generally, especially under Moyes.

Fellaini and Baines are much more valuable to Everton than for any other top 5 club - big fish in a small pond storey -
To a large extent Everton revolves around them while that will certainly not be the case at United -
they both also have very limited CL experience - which is what those teams are aiming for

As EFC manager, I was a big advocate of DM. I'm not even arsed about the bid - they made a bid, we knocked 'em back, big deal. He can do one after this though. Cheeky bar-steward.

Exactly.

Arsenal could lump £40mill on the table if they wanted and we'd sell. But they ain't...

God knows what's going on with Wenger. He's decided that he's got a crisis in central midfield and wants to spend £10m. They've got the money available (£40m+ £1) and they could decide to make a statement to their fans and rivals, but it would seem unlikely.

• Leighton Baines and Marouane Fellaini are being 'held back'

David-Moyes-has-shrugged--008.jpg

http://everton.aggbot.com/Everton-News/article/20257785

Last edited:
He's coming off as embarrassingly desperate now. It's painfully obvious that none of his other targets wanted to sign for him and now he's actually begging us to let him have Fellaini and Baines.

Cringe.

http://www.theguardian.com/football...-marouane-fellaini-leighton-baines?CMP=twt_gu

David Moyes questions Roberto Martínez stance on Everton pair
• Suggests Leighton Baines and Marouane Fellaini are being held back
• Wayne Rooney set to start Manchester United-Chelsea game

David Moyes has claimed Everton's manager, Roberto Martínez, is holding back the careers of Marouane Fellaini and Leighton Baines by not allowing them to be sold to Manchester United.

The club had a £28m joint bid for the duo rejected by Everton last week, with Martínez intent that neither player is for sale. Moyes, who left Goodison Park to take over from Sir Alex Ferguson this summer, made it clear that he would not have stood in the players' way had he been in his old job.

However, the Scot conceded that during his own time in charge of Everton, Manchester City attempted to buy Joleon Lescott for an undervalued price, so he has some sympathy for Martínez.

"I definitely do but I also know that if I'd been Everton manager and Sir Alex had come asking for Leighton Baines and Marouane Fellaini, I'd have found it very difficult to keep them because I always felt the right thing to do was what was right for the players," he said. Everton described their former manager's offer for the pair as "derisory and insulting" but Moyes said: "I signed every player at Everton, so I know a lot about them. They are a great club and they are both excellent players."

He added: "The bid, from Manchester United's point of view, was a private thing and if and when we make a new offer we'd keep that offer private and confidential as well." Moyes would not be drawn on whether he was annoyed that Everton had gone public.

"The transfer window is open and we can make bids and you can say 'Yes or no', it's as simple as that. You are allowed to bid. That's not our choice [to make it public]. That's up to them. You need to ask them that question.

"There's sort of a mixed market at the moment. No one is quite sure where the price is right. It's a sort of strange market. Suddenly someone could give you big money. We've had offers for players at this club, which we feel are quite small. I can see it where other clubs might be thinking it's not enough value for their players as well."

Martínez claimed that United lacked "common sense" but Moyes shrugged this off. "All we can do is do our job here. Roberto is in a new job and I'm sure he'll get to understand how Everton work. I know exactly how Everton work. I think I've signed every player at Everton. I know exactly how they work," he said. Moyes was unaware of the former Everton goalkeeper Neville Southall's claim that the Scot was "despicable" regarding the bid.

Asked if Moyes would have felt the same if £28m had been offered to him as Everton manager, he replied: "That's a different question, which I've tried to answer. Everton are a great club, I respect them greatly and I in no way would want to do it in a way that affects them. Of course, taking a player is going to affect them. I'm doing what I have to do in my job.

"I speak to Bill Kenwright [the chairman] regularly, we speak most weeks. He was great for me and hopefully he would think that I'd done a good job for him as well, and Everton. There's no way there's any disrespect whatsoever. This is just a case where we've made an offer, we didn't make it public to anybody, so we'll try and answer the questions as best we can."

Beyond Fellaini and Baines, Moyes still hopes to recruit another midfielder, at least. Yet he admitted the transfer window could end without him making a major signing.

"There's a possibility but the plan is we can bring in one or two if we can," he said. "There's a need to do it but there's no pressure to do it."

Moyes said that Wayne Rooney has a "good chance of starting" for United against Chelsea on Monday evening, with the manager unconcerned that any third bid from their opponents could affect the unsettled striker. United host Chelsea in Moyes's first home league game since succeeding Ferguson, with the club still insistent that Rooney is not for sale at any price.

Yet following the 2-1 defeat of Aston Villa on Wednesday evening at Stamford Bridge, José Mourinho was clear that Chelsea plan to make a final offer for Rooney, who remains determined to join them. Asked if the Portuguese's words will sway any decision to choose Rooney, Moyes said: "Wayne has got a good chance of playing. Well, he's got a good chance of playing against Chelsea, a good chance of starting."

After missing all of United's pre-season games because of a hamstring injury, then a shoulder problem, Rooney started England's 3-2 friendly win over Scotland last week before coming on for the last half-hour at Swansea City three days' later. Despite his unhappiness, the forward again proved what a force he can be, creating United's final two goals in the 4-1 win. He made space for Robin van Persie's second goal of the match, then later produced the pass that allowed Danny Welbeck to add to his first-half strike.

Moyes is relishing the visit by Chelsea and said: "I came for this sort of level but I came to win trophies and if you are going to win them then you do need to beat teams like Chelsea and Manchester City because that's the way our league is. I'm looking forward to it."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back