Transfer Rumour Everton poised to make £25m bid for Celtic full-back Kieran Tierney

Status
Not open for further replies.
Celtic were linked with him when he played in Scotland as well. The few times I saw him play for Dundee United, it was obvious he was a skilful player, but he wasn't always in the Dundee United team, and if you're not a guaranteed first team player for Dundee United, you're hardly ready to be a Celtic first teamer.

I tend to be a tad cynical when it comes to young players who are going to be the next big thing, and like to wait until I've seen them before I decide if they're as good as the press say they are. I wasn't surprised when he didn't make it at Sporting. Tierney has been an established Celtic player for a few years now. In my opinion, he'll be a star when he eventually goes to the Premiership.

It can work the other way as well, and Daryl Murphy was a complete disaster for Celtic, and for such a big man you'd have struggled to slip a Daily Record under his feet when he jumped for the ball. He left us, and tore up the Championship, and I believe he's now in the EPL, with Newcastle, which totally astonishes me.

When Martyn Waghorn was at Sevco he was a joke figure amongst Celtic fans, but I read somewhere that he's done really well at Ipswich, though I haven't actually seen him play since he left Scotland. Graham Dorrans played for WBA in the Premiership, but has been pretty poor for Rangers and hasn't kicked a ball whenever he's played against Celtic.
The thing is, for every Wanyama and VVD there are 10 Gary Naismith's, Barry Ferguson's, James McFadden's ti come down from Scotland. Players who are stars in Scotland but are tosh in the prem. This is why the top teams don't shop in the SPL and let lower half teams like Southampton but them first.

I do like the look of Tierney and hope we buy him but there are no guarentees he won"t flop. From what I have seen of the SPL, he's the only player I'd like us to take a chance on.

The thing is, for every Wanyama and VVD there are 10 Gary Naismith's, Barry Ferguson's, James McFadden's ti come down from Scotland. Players who are stars in Scotland but are tosh in the prem. This is why the top teams don't shop in the SPL and let lower half teams like Southampton but them first.

I do like the look of Tierney and hope we buy him but there are no guarentees he won"t flop. From what I have seen of the SPL, he's the only player I'd like us to take a chance on.

theres no guarantee anyone will be a success to be fair, look at last season keane seemed a banker

I understand that. It goes in stages, first a lower EPL club, and if the player is a success there, one of the big boys might come in for him.

Do you mean Gary Naysmith, or Steven Naismith? Gary Naysmith definitely wasn't a top player up here. McFadden was one if those individualist type players who could cause teams trouble, but I didn't think was good enough for Celtic. I didn't see Barry Ferguson when he played for Blackburn. I know he got a really bad injury, maybe a broken kneecap? I tend not to praise anything about Rangers, but he was an excellent footballer for Rangers 1872-2012. Maybe it was the injury, or he signed for the wrong club, but he was a better player than the other two you mentioned.

I find it strange walking away from a 21yr old at £25million, it sounds a lot but in today's market it's probably the going rate, that's if he's as good as what I'm reading and I've no reason to believe otherwise. Hopefully it's just strategy, let's hope it doesn't backfire because LB is a position we cannot afford to ignore.

I understand that. It goes in stages, first a lower EPL club, and if the player is a success there, one of the big boys might come in for him.

Do you mean Gary Naysmith, or Steven Naismith? Gary Naysmith definitely wasn't a top player up here. McFadden was one if those individualist type players who could cause teams trouble, but I didn't think was good enough for Celtic. I didn't see Barry Ferguson when he played for Blackburn. I know he got a really bad injury, maybe a broken kneecap? I tend not to praise anything about Rangers, but he was an excellent footballer for Rangers 1872-2012. Maybe it was the injury, or he signed for the wrong club, but he was a better player than the other two you mentioned.
he played for 140 years? No wonder his kneecaps were busted

The lad has had 2 good seasons with Celtic, but to value him at £25M is a bit much. Everton wants to pay in installments based on performance etc, which I fully agree on. He might be great, but can also turn out to be bang average in a better league.

Those who complained about high fees last season must be happy now that we are not signing a player for the reason stated.

It's still not my money, so I think this is an error.

Except for our grammar

Oh the shame.

Anyway - "IF" we manage to shift Williams/Cuco/Bolasie/Mirallas/Besic/Sandro I'd hope that we'd have the £££ to crack on and spend.

The problem is working off that projection, as it's just not going to cut it until the money is in the bank and there's no guarantee they'll even go.

They're all sub-par Prem players so the focus should be on getting rid, and bringing people in like Tierney who actually show promise.

The lad has had 2 good seasons with Celtic, but to value him at £25M is a bit much. Everton wants to pay in installments based on performance etc, which I fully agree on. He might be great, but can also turn out to be bang average in a better league.

From what I've heard, Celtic have airway accepted a bid of 25 million from a much smaller club than Everton, but Tierney didn't want to sign for them. I can understand supporters of EPL clubs being wary with signings from up here, but if Everton don't come up with the money, I believe another club probably will. Hopefully, no one comes up with the money, and he stays at Celtic Park.

Oh the shame.

Anyway - "IF" we manage to shift Williams/Cuco/Bolasie/Mirallas/Besic/Sandro I'd hope that we'd have the £££ to crack on and spend.

The problem is working off that projection, as it's just not going to cut it until the money is in the bank and there's no guarantee they'll even go.

They're all sub-par Prem players so the focus should be on getting rid, and bringing people in like Tierney who actually show promise.

is Mireallas a bad player? In don't watch anything like the amount of football I used to, and I haven't seen him play for a while, i but when I saw him a few years ago for Everton, I thought he looked a really good player.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back