Everton Summer 2024 Transfer Thread

We've just signed a lad who never got a kick at Napoli last season. You could say the same about him.

Not being good enough for Man City is not the same as falling off a cliff at a team you made your name and being addicted to pills from life trauma.

No correlation.

Lad at Napoli had 3 different managers in 12 months, including the one who signed him leaving before the season started, at Napoli it was t just him who had a horrid season, pretty much their entire team did, including one who'd won the league the season before, he's 24

Philips has had the exact same manager who bought him, no change, he's played terribly for over 2 years running, he had a loan to a defensive minded hard graft manager - he stank the gaff out on said loan, he's 29 on a few months.

To add btw everyone forgets that he had a bad grade hamstring tear in his last season at Leeds, missing 4 months, he only returned for their last 6 games. I don't think I've seen him play again at the intensity level since that injury.

So long as we have Beto, Chermiti and DCL on the books, we won’t be looking to get a striker, surely. Now if one of Beto or DCL goes, definitely

I think DCL will go, I actually rate his team play, but as a finisher he leaves a lot to be desired. If we can get 20-30m it would be good business.

I hope KT can move Maupay and Beto on, both terrible players. Maupay could do a job for some one as proven with his stint at Brentford, Beto is turbo gash. I think he would benefit from going back to a lesser demanding league.

How do you know that?
Right now we have 4 players competing for 1 spot without any of them seeming close to being moved on. Need to sell 2 of those players before thinking about bringing in a new number 9

Obviously I would like us to sell Maupay and DCL and replace them with a new striker but atm seems unlikely.

Lad at Napoli had 3 different managers in 12 months, including the one who signed him leaving before the season started, at Napoli it was t just him who had a horrid season, pretty much their entire team did, including one who'd won the league the season before, he's 24

Philips has had the exact same manager who bought him, no change, he's played terribly for over 2 years running, he had a loan to a defensive minded hard graft manager - he stank the gaff out on said loan, he's 29 on a few months.

To add btw everyone forgets that he had a bad grade hamstring tear in his last season at Leeds, missing 4 months, he only returned for their last 6 games. I don't think I've seen him play again at the intensity level since that injury.

The crux of it mate is there's context.

Having a bad spell/year or two doesn't dictate the end and isn't conclusive as some like to tell you it is.

And for me, the context for Phillips is he wasn't good enough for Manchester City. I could have told you that the day before he signed - 2 years ago.

Do you become a god awful player from 26 to 28?

Maybe. Maybe not. But a low cost loan, when we haven't really got a pot to piss in would make sense to me if it means we can spend in other areas.

Also look at N'Diaye. He 'failed' last season.

All of this shouldn't lose sight of the main * though.

We're skint and need bodies.

Philips firva half season loan at west ham still cost a 3.5m fee and they had to cover his full wages of 150k PW.

That was city giving them a cut price deal, they're initial demands were for a 7m loan fee for a half season.

They are not gonna be subsidising his wages and they will demand a significant loan fee because they realise enough clubs are desperate to take a risk. (Their past actions with him show that - city aren't adverse to letting a player rot in some C team of there's if the buyer doesn't pay up)

Hell we even had to pay them a fee to sign an out of contract Barry as part of their loan deal 😂

Philips firva half season loan at west ham still cost a 3.5m fee and they had to cover his full wages of 150k PW.

That was city giving them a cut price deal, they're initial demands were for a 7m loan fee for a half season.

They are not gonna be subsidising his wages and they will demand a significant loan fee because they realise enough clubs are desperate to take a risk. (Their past actions with him show that - city aren't adverse to letting a player rot in some C team of there's if the buyer doesn't pay up)

Hell we even had to pay them a fee to sign an out of contract Barry as part of their loan deal 😂

Definitely doesn't happen if that's the case here.

Can't see it happening anywhere at those fees - probably end up being a late one where they relent if that's the case.

No, it's common sense

DCL isn't signing a new deal and let's be honest, has done nothing for us in a while

Beto, so far looks so far off it

Chermitti isn't quite ready yet

Again, I'm confident we will bring in a striker
I think DCL will go, I actually rate his team play, but as a finisher he leaves a lot to be desired. If we can get 20-30m it would be good business.

I hope KT can move Maupay and Beto on, both terrible players. Maupay could do a job for some one as proven with his stint at Brentford, Beto is turbo gash. I think he would benefit from going back to a lesser demanding league.
That can all be true, but also not guarantee a sale. If we really are asking for 35 million for DCL, and he himself is asking for massive wages - who would come in for him knowing he’s on a free next summer?

Who is stumping up the cash for Beto that allows us to not make a loss?

Ironically, the easier player out of all of them to sell may be Maupay - but that’s purely because we probably won’t ask for a large fee.

It’s a lot easier said than done, is all.

No, it's common sense

DCL isn't signing a new deal and let's be honest, has done nothing for us in a while

Beto, so far looks so far off it

Chermitti isn't quite ready yet

Again, I'm confident we will bring in a striker
You can't sell players just because you want to, someone else has to actually want to buy them.

DCL will run down his contract to get a better move as a free agent, there's been 1 story linking Beto with a move away and it was over a week ago and didn't go anywhere.

Like I said, would love to get a couple of these players sold and bring in someone new but right now I'm just not seeing it. Not the end of the world either, we're having a good window and have addressed multiple issues in the squad.

You can't sell players just because you want to, someone else has to actually want to buy them.

DCL will run down his contract to get a better move as a free agent, there's been 1 story linking Beto with a move away and it was over a week ago and didn't go anywhere.

Like I said, would love to get a couple of these players sold and bring in someone new but right now I'm just not seeing it. Not the end of the world either, we're having a good window and have addressed multiple issues in the squad.
I thought there was interest in both DCL and Beto

Beto has interest from Italy, or so I thought?

We need to lower our valuation for Dom, as its just totally unreasonable

Still, I still think we will see movement

I thought there was interest in both DCL and Beto

Beto has interest from Italy, or so I thought?

We need to lower our valuation for Dom, as its just totally unreasonable

Still, I still think we will see movement
DCL had interest from a few clubs, but all ended the same way with wages and fee supposedly preventing a deal being reached.

Beto had interest from Bologna who had just sold their striker, but nothing came of it. The interview he did in the week afterwards suggested to me that his intention is to stay and earn his place in the team.

Agree we need to lower asking price for DCL. It's tricky though as the money generated from sales needs to be enough (on top of the money we already have to spend) to sign another winger, a midfielder and a striker who's actually good enough to start which is not cheap.

The crux of it mate is there's context.

Having a bad spell/year or two doesn't dictate the end and isn't conclusive as some like to tell you it is.

And for me, the context for Phillips is he wasn't good enough for Manchester City. I could have told you that the day before he signed - 2 years ago.

Do you become a god awful player from 26 to 28?

Maybe. Maybe not. But a low cost loan, when we haven't really got a pot to piss in would make sense to me if it means we can spend in other areas.

Also look at N'Diaye. He 'failed' last season.
This is it. If you understand the context to why he struggled at city you can see why he's of interest - Pep has openly admitted that he was wrong in the way he treated Phillips multiple times in the past including somewhat recently where he made a comment about him being 1.5kg over his weight target (https://www.theguardian.com/footbal...ps-interview-west-ham-manchester-city-england). Phillips was also injured early in his city career and the team moved on with other players and other tactics.

As for his West Ham loan there were rumours he was unhappy with game time/staff/etc but I think the evidence before that shows that he's a confidence player who needs good man management - you can understand why a coaching staff like Dyches would think they have the potential to turn him around

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back