Everton Summer 2024 Transfer Thread

Think Dyche would get Phillips back to his best in no time. He's a very good player in very bad form trying to fill in for the best CM in the world with zero confidence. If we can get him on loan, he'd be a very good signing.
This is the thinking that concerns me.

Phillips may well be a decent player whose confidence is just shot, and there seems to be that thought that Dyche is the man to revive it. Who has he done that for, since he has been here? Dele's mental health has improved and that's genuinely awesome, but no sign yet that he's recovered any of his footballing ability. Keane is still crap, as is Holgate, as was Gomes, etc.

Even on a loan, I imagine Phillips will command a small fee, and even subsidised wages would be a lot for us. My thoughts are almost certainly clouded by THAT West Ham loan, but in fairness it was very, very, very bad.

I could be naive here, but if I was Dyche I'd be getting Moyes on the phone. I reckon they'd be on good terms, especially with the Everton link. If Phillips was pya gash then Moyes would be honest about that, but we don't know how things played out in training.

Think Dyche would get Phillips back to his best in no time. He's a very good player in very bad form trying to fill in for the best CM in the world with zero confidence. If we can get him on loan, he'd be a very good signing.

Reclamation projects shouldn't cost as much as Kalvin Philips likely will, fees and wages.

He'll also be 29 years old in a few months. It's not like there's a decade worth of football left in him. He's actually a few months older than Dele.

I don't personally think Dyche has improved anyone here tbh? So i dont think he will perform wonders with Phillips.

I do think Phillips is massively out of his depth at City though, he doesn't suit their style of play and he isn't good enough to break into the team so he's hardly playing. I think this is to blame for his poor spell at West Ham. If he comes here he will play a different style of football, similar to how he played at Leeds.

It could work on loan.

Of course there's correlation.

2 players, both once pretty good, both now not good, one you'd sign one you presumably wouldn't?

We've just signed a lad who never got a kick at Napoli last season. You could say the same about him.

Not being good enough for Man City is not the same as falling off a cliff at a team you made your name and being addicted to pills from life trauma.

No correlation.

I don't personally think Dyche has improved anyone here tbh? So i dont think he will perform wonders with Phillips.

I do think Phillips is massively out of his depth at City though, he doesn't suit their style of play and he isn't good enough to break into the team so he's hardly playing. I think this is to blame for his poor spell at West Ham. If he comes here he will play a different style of football, similar to how he played at Leeds.

It could work on loan.

Mykolenko.

Because he simplified his game, and every defender benefitted from a team that was a lot more defensive IMO.

We've just signed a lad who never got a kick at Napoli last season. You could say the same about him.

Not being good enough for Man City is not the same as falling off a cliff at a team you made your name and being addicted to pills from life trauma.

No correlation.
Exactly ,as I said earlier almost no panic about a lad with 2 starts last year or a centre half with one year of first team football or a midfield with a handful of top flight starts .

I have my doubts Phillips would work but almost every deal we’ll make or be linked to will be one with an larger element of risk because we can’t go out and spend a fortune on players any more . Which given our history might be a good thing

It could work on loan.

….Branthwaite speaks glowingly of him, Mykolenko looked a different player last season and Garner established himself.

No correlation.
The difference is Phillips hasnt kicked a ball in almost 3 seasons and his not far off 30's

I think he is a good player when i last seen him player regular, but that was a long time ago.
Weve only recently offloaded Mina Gomes Gbamin and Delph after years of crying about having players in the squad who consume a huge wage and offer nothing.
For this is exactly one of them signings.

Huge risk with little reward, even if he was fit it would take him a month or two to get match fit and upto speed again, we dont have that luxury of carrying passengers through games.

No correlation.

Lindstrom is 24 though.

I'm not against loaning Phillips at a reasonable price - and a loan is a limited risk / gamble.

Would you go a for a cheaper-thanPhillips CM loan if it meant wage room for a winger for example ?

I guess they are the sort of decisions Thelwell is making.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back