Everton Summer 2024 Transfer Thread

The crux of it mate is there's context.

Having a bad spell/year or two doesn't dictate the end and isn't conclusive as some like to tell you it is.

And for me, the context for Phillips is he wasn't good enough for Manchester City. I could have told you that the day before he signed - 2 years ago.

Do you become a god awful player from 26 to 28?

Maybe. Maybe not. But a low cost loan, when we haven't really got a pot to piss in would make sense to me if it means we can spend in other areas.

Also look at N'Diaye. He 'failed' last season.

Problem is mate, even considering Philips means it's not gonna be a low cost loan.

West ham payed a total 6.7m for him for Jan-May.
For example we are paying less than 5m for Lindstrom

If City just matched last year's deal they did with west ham the loan would cost 9.7m for the season (that's assuming they accept the same fee for a full season as they did for half)

In no way will Philips be a cheap loan deal

Ndiaye failed last year for sure he was played as a winger - if Philips had been getting played at left back for city of course I'd also ignore him failing.

Definitely doesn't happen if that's the case here.

Can't see it happening anywhere at those fees - probably end up being a late one where they relent if that's the case.

Someone will do it mate, there's enough who will look at him at Leeds and hope.

One thing to remember - the big clubs often can shift fringe posters on the club and players former rep, and excuses will always be made.

Example.

He's not good enough for city, but none of ours are either, or he failed at west ham cos moyes rushed him and the team knew the manager was gone seasons end. The fringe older players city move on that succeed are normally if not always those who contributed abs were rated by the manager (Barry the classic example also zinchenko)

Problem is mate, even considering Philips means it's not gonna be a low cost loan.

West ham payed a total 6.7m for him for Jan-May.
For example we are paying less than 5m for Lindstrom

If City just matched last year's deal they did with west ham the loan would cost 9.7m for the season (that's assuming they accept the same fee for a full season as they did for half)

In no way will Philips be a cheap loan deal

Ndiaye failed last year for sure he was played as a winger - if Philips had been getting played at left back for city of course I'd also ignore him failing.

I see.

The thing is though - if we're making excuses for N'Diaye and Lindstrom - like out of position, or better players..

Then let's remember Phillips was at Man City and didn't get played at all, really.

I think people dont understand just how little he got.

291 minutes in his first season. 180 of them 291, was 2 starts - and both when the season was over for City - gameweek 37/38.

1722260921742.png

And 0 starts for Man City last season - 89 minutes in total for them

1722260959385.png

^ It's why a January loan and throwing him in was a nonsense.

Tarkowski has been consistent since he joined, same goes for Doucoure, he had great spells under Ancelotti and even good spells under Benitez.

Branthwaite, who knows if thats down to Dyche or not.

To touch on you last point, Dyche has made us hard to beat as a unit (bar the 4 months we didnt win a game) but i dont think he has massively brought individual players on. Mykolenko yes but he had talent anyway and just took time to adapt to the league.

This is literally 50% of the entire point of the game. It’s something Benitez Koeman Silva Lampard couldn’t achieve with us. It’s not and never will be a negative.

It’s a convenient argument though. Everything wrong with the team is Dyche’s fault, everything right with it is because players were already good, they improved in spite of him etc. What a convenient logical trap to ensure Dyche can never get any credit whatsoever.

Of course there's correlation.

2 players, both once pretty good, both now not good, one you'd sign one you presumably wouldn't?
They are totally different players, different clubs, different recent histories.
We know nothing about the attitude of either player or their expectations.
There is nothing to compare apart from two players who have been going through a bad time.

No, it's common sense

DCL isn't signing a new deal and let's be honest, has done nothing for us in a while

Beto, so far looks so far off it

Chermitti isn't quite ready yet

Again, I'm confident we will bring in a striker
We also have Maupay, our highest scoring striker last season in the PL......

I'd be shocked if a striker came in, unless literally 3 of the 4 of them go. There's not room in the squad when we have other areas that are more bare. Outside a dodgy FFP swap deal, I'm not sure we'd be bringing in "big name" either, would much more likely be selling Maupay + DCL and bringing in Gnonto + a midfielder + young striker for the same money or something like that.

I see.

The thing is though - if we're making excuses for N'Diaye and Lindstrom - like out of position, or better players..

Then let's remember Phillips was at Man City and didn't get played at all, really.

I think people dont understand just how little he got.

291 minutes in his first season. 180 of them 291, was 2 starts - and both when the season was over for City - gameweek 37/38.

View attachment 266744

And 0 starts for Man City last season - 89 minutes in total for them

View attachment 266745

^ It's why a January loan and throwing him in was a nonsense.

No arguments from me mate, it was an idiotic move by the player from the start.

If the lad was truly serious about getting his career back on track though he'd ask for a contract termination with city (they'd maybe even agree) or he's wave a percentage of his wage to get the loan he wants (he won't), he's been earning over 7.5m a year at City to basically have a ticket to watch them, he's got two years or maybe three left on that deal, i don't think the desire to resurrect his career is strong enough.

The Guardiola comment about him essentially turning up fat after the summer he signed for me is a big one. The lad coming off a major injury, getting back to playing the last few weeks gets his move to a big club, then relaxes... Was his own downfall in part at city.

No arguments from me mate, it was an idiotic move by the player from the start.

If the lad was truly serious about getting his career back on track though he'd ask for a contract termination with city (they'd maybe even agree) or he's wave a percentage of his wage to get the loan he wants (he won't), he's been earning over 7.5m a year at City to basically have a ticket to watch them, he's got two years or maybe three left on that deal, i don't think the desire to resurrect his career is strong enough.

The Guardiola comment about him essentially turning up fat after the summer he signed for me is a big one. The lad coming off a major injury, getting back to playing the last few weeks gets his move to a big club, then relaxes... Was his own downfall in part at city.

Maybe after getting to a final with England, then a quarters he had belief he'd get some games and backed himself. Maybe his motivation was low knowing he'd never get a kick. As the last screenshots - day one he was never getting a kick there and if he was silly enough to believe he would, he soon realised he wouldn't.

Maybe he'd respond differently to a different type of manager and a new start.

Or maybe he's clocked out and finished.

Maybe after getting to a final with England, then a quarters he had belief he'd get some games and backed himself. Maybe his motivation was low knowing he'd never get a kick. As the last screenshots - day one he was never getting a kick there and if he was silly enough to believe he would, he soon realised he wouldn't.

Maybe he'd respond differently to a different type of manager and a new start.

Or maybe he's clocked out and finished.

I understand why some think a chance is worth it.

I just feel there's way too much in the cost/risk - benefit analysis.

Last loan spot we could use far far better - even something like the young Chelsea cm or someone like even a Wilson (hell even on a random punt on some City youth player as other have done to great success) taking about the deal I believe city will want to loan out Philips - you could probably get spurs to loan Richarlison for that type of money.

He doesn't, nobody outside the club knows
Of course I don't know it as a fact. Don't know any more than anyone else on here. I just think it's unlikely that we sell 1 of these players let alone 2 or 3, as we've clearly been trying and failing to move them on thus far.

Rome wasn't built in a day, we've done a lot of good work on the squad this summer and will likely still do a bit more. Bringing in a wide player and centre mid has to be the priority right now as we simply don't have enough bodies in those positions currently. 1 injury to a Garner or McNeil would kill us.

If we get a good offer for one of our strikers great, if not we address it in Jan or next summer.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back