Everton Summer 2024 Transfer Thread

Also totally incorrect that the Friedkin Group's cash injection has allowed Everton to spend.

Everton have worked to a temporary budget on transfers. And they have brought in £70m from sales.
As a matter of interest who dictates the current budget for transfers?

Is Thelwell simply working on a policy of spend what you bring in in sales provided we don't breach PSR ? Or has he been told ( and if so by whom ) that he can only spend a percentage of fees received.

I've thought for some time that we've been rudderless but this transfer window we seemed to be working to a plan.

If we are I presume that it's Thelwell's but who approved it ? Moshiri or TFG ?

But didn’t you say we smashed the XG in every game pre Christmas??
There’s a narrative of we put our chances away we’d have been top 6, which I think is nonsense, take the wolves game, yes their keeper got MOM, but they scored, missed 2 great chances, hit the woodwork and Pickford made a worldie. That game could have been 4-3 either way. It wasnt one way traffic and a battering

We won 12 games last season and lost the XG in 5.

Sorry that wasn’t you who said about us smashing the XG, think it was someone else replying to your post

The XG thing is a decent barometer of how you finish - nothing more.

It also has to be taken in context with XGA - which is what on average you should have conceded.

So yeah we were shocking last season and should have scored 20 more.

but

We also were outstanding on XGA and in fact should have conceded ten more than we did too. Suggesting having a very good keeper who saves shots most wouldn't and poor finishers of great chances who miss what most would score.

Also it's a context thing if you try to look at what points overall it costs or gained you.

Can lose a game 1-0 were the xg was 4 in your favour (an extreme example) so that's a swing of 5 out of say the ten, and can't forget goals change games and the flow of games too.

Last edited:
I can’t see a RB unless Patterson is sold. We either need to back Patterson as first choice or sell him and get a first choice in. Fit and confident I still maintain there’s a player there.

I would like to see the manager give him a chance, but I saw enough last season to suggest he’s not going to. Coleman is our starting right back with Young as his back up.

As a matter of interest who dictates the current budget for transfers?

Is Thelwell simply working on a policy of spend what you bring in in sales provided we don't breach PSR ? Or has he been told ( and if so by whom ) that he can only spend a percentage of fees received.

I've thought for some time that we've been rudderless but this transfer window we seemed to be working to a plan.

If we are I presume that it's Thelwell's but who approved it ? Moshiri or TFG ?
Moshiri owns the club mate.

It will be him, although I doubt he is hands on and this will be Chongo and KT directing the show.

I suspect we have a very limited budget.

No but they were happy to loan us £200m @10% p.a., similar to the way loan sharks operate in areas of poverty, and we are desperate, where do think the money has come from for the recent transfer spending?
Everton are desperate to get through the next 2 years without going bankrupt. There’s a reason Branthwaite hasn’t played a pre season game, EFC cannot afford for him to be injured, he will be sold before Aug 31st, see also Mykolenko

Please. Trying to blame the debt on TFG? Get real. This is 100% on Moshiri.

We would have been bankrupt without a loan.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back