Everton Summer 2024 Transfer Thread

If he's putting in the work in training he plays. We're in no position, given what's behind him, to take some sort of stance with his contract. Nor should we, he has a contract to play on and should honor that.

I think a lack of resolution is causing people to go down a rabbit hole they don't need to. If he's here and fit, he should play.

Selling him for 10-15 million isn't going to help us at all, that that price they should let him run his contract out. You won't get a reasonable replacement for that amount and our financial problems are much more than 10-15 million.

Dont wholly agree with that for a few reasons as i say i think its a glib point and narrow analysis, there is a disruption factor that this saga will cause, both in connection with the fans and atmosphere that can undermine - he's in for a tough gig here for 12 months without signing a deal and i dont want that undermining the team. Hes not Rom, when Rom turned down a contract he came out and scored two goals, the whole thing has the possibility to undermine the team - elsewhere again hes not Rom he didn't start at times last season as others where considerer better options.

Elsewise with is we are building sandcastles with the tide coming in, hes not here long term and we aren't building with him going into the future if he doesn't sign. Beto has a better XG and better return for mins and never been given the opportunity to build momentum, Dom was out of the team at times last year as it was judged he may be a better option - that was without what's going on at the moment. Its reasonable the club look to the future and say if you dont want to be here we have to look at lads who we can build and integrate, improve going into the long term.

I personally wouldn't start the season with him anyway, if that helps leverage all the better - if hes here beyond that we have a decision to make and he has a point to prove and something to earn.

The 10-15 mil, debate is subjective however, is 10-15 mill better now then nothing in 12 months, is he potentially playing worth 10 -15 mill this season - oi suspect the forum would be split on that. If say an alternative would be going and getting some like Adebayo.

Dont wholly agree with that for a few reasons as i say i think its a glib point, there is a disruption factor that this saga will cause, both in connection with the fans and atmosphere that can undermine - he's in for a tough gig here for 12 months without signing a deal and i dont want that undermining the team. Hes not Rom, when Rom turned down a contract he came out and scored two goals, the whole thing has the possibility ti undermine the team - elsewhere again hes not Rom he didn't start at times last season as others where considerer better options.

Elsewise with is we are building sancastles with the tide coming in, hes not here long term and we aren't building with him going into the future if he doesnt sign. Beto has a better XG and better return for mins, Dom was out of the team at times last year as it was judged he may be a better option - that was ithout what's going on at the moment. Its reasonable the club look to the future and say if you dont want to be here we have to look at lads who we can build and integrate, improve going into the long term.

The 10-15 mil, debate is subjective however, is 10-15 mill better now then nothing in 12 months, is he potentially playing worth 10 -15 mill this season - oi suspect the forum would be split on that. If say an alternative would be going and getting some like Adebayo.

When has he ever been a disruption to the team? Other than some people stupidly linking his attire to his attitude and performance, I've never seen it. Uncertainty can cause disruption, sure, but if he goes into the season telling the club he's running his contract down, everyone is on the same page. I don't see how it undermines the team, if he's putting in the effort no one will have an issue. If he isn't, Dyche certainly won't play him.

Beto isn't an option for me, mostly because he hasn't been for Dyche. Dyche was visibly frustrated with him throughout the season. I don't think it's acclimation to the league, it's not effort, his strengths don't line up with what Dyche is looking for.

I don't really think the money is subjective frankly. 10-15 million is a drop in the bucket for us and our problems. To remove the team's number 9 for that amount, with no replacement, just isn't very smart. Adebayo, as an example, will cost more than that.

As a matter of interest who dictates the current budget for transfers?

Is Thelwell simply working on a policy of spend what you bring in in sales provided we don't breach PSR ? Or has he been told ( and if so by whom ) that he can only spend a percentage of fees received.

I've thought for some time that we've been rudderless but this transfer window we seemed to be working to a plan.

If we are I presume that it's Thelwell's but who approved it ? Moshiri or TFG ?
TFG can't/won't have approved anything mate, they have nothing to do with the running of the club.

There will always have been a budget for transfers (a very small one, I imagine) and any incoming funds will likely have helped to at least partially boost it (but doubt by very much).

Thelwell clearly has been given the reigns - he was last year, too, but really didn't have any money at all - and this year there's been a bit more money freed up by a higher league placing, better use of sales and understanding of PSR I imagine.

We really haven't spent much in terms of cash flow - O'Brien I believe is a very small up front payment (sub £5m), Lindstrom was the initial £2.5mish for the loan. Harrison no loan fee. Ndiaye similarly a low downpayment. So it's probably that an actual cash budget of say £15m has been used to fund 5 signings and then also we've had some additional funds come in on top of it.

There's still a lot of work to do though.

As for approval, Moshiri, as he's on the board and as the owner, still has a say, but it looks like he's checked out enough to actually just sign off on signings rather than interfere earlier in the process.

When has he ever been a disruption to the team? Other than some people stupidly linking his attire to his attitude and performance, I've never seen it. Uncertainty can cause disruption, sure, but if he goes into the season telling the club he's running his contract down, everyone is on the same page. I don't see how it undermines the team, if he's putting in the effort no one will have an issue. If he isn't, Dyche certainly won't play him.

Beto isn't an option for me, mostly because he hasn't been for Dyche. Dyche was visibly frustrated with him throughout the season. I don't think it's acclimation to the league, it's not effort, his strengths don't line up with what Dyche is looking for.

I don't really think the money is subjective frankly. 10-15 million is a drop in the bucket for us and our problems. To remove the team's number 9 for that amount, with no replacement, just isn't very smart. Adebayo, as an example, will cost more than that.
This is about where I'm at with it.

If he's here beyond the end of the window, he plays.

The contract offer will likely remain on the table.

If a club comes in with an offer that hits our valuation, he'll go.

But that valuation right now is very high - £35m in total. I imagine as the month draws on that valuation will drop slightly but it won't be by £20m+.

People can fairly criticise Dom. They should also probably understand that he's the ideal Dyche CF and players who fit into that mould and also score 15-20 a season reliably don't exactly grow on trees.

As for criticism of him missing chances, also fair. But the way we play doesn't lend itself to CFs getting 3-4 chances a game. They get 1 or 2. The rest often fall to midfielders in open play, or defenders from set-pieces.

This is about where I'm at with it.

If he's here beyond the end of the window, he plays.

The contract offer will likely remain on the table.

If a club comes in with an offer that hits our valuation, he'll go.

But that valuation right now is very high - £35m in total. I imagine as the month draws on that valuation will drop slightly but it won't be by £20m+.

People can fairly criticise Dom. They should also probably understand that he's the ideal Dyche CF and players who fit into that mould and also score 15-20 a season reliably don't exactly grow on trees.

As for criticism of him missing chances, also fair. But the way we play doesn't lend itself to CFs getting 3-4 chances a game. They get 1 or 2. The rest often fall to midfielders in open play, or defenders from set-pieces.

Don’t think anyone is expecting him to score 15-20, just 10 or maybe 12 at a push will do for now. I’d be happy if he scored at the level of an absolutely bang average Premier League striker.

For over 3 years I've been sharing my view that a lack of ability in the final third will dictate relegation scrap.

My view remains the same.

This team is not capable of creating, or scoring enough to see us comfortable.

It desperately lacks pace/creativity - or even players who can progress/carry play.

And depth for when plan A is out of ideas/form/fitness.

Expect a lot more: "Why's he continuing with Harrison/McNeil!" - "Because there's nobody else mate"

For over 3 years I've been sharing my view that a lack of ability in the final third will dictate relegation scrap.

It desperately lacks pace/creativity - or even players who can progress/carry play.

Expect a lot more: "Why's he continuing with Harrison/McNeil!" - "Because there's nobody else mate"
100% if we dont bring in atleast another two cm and another winger. So we can rotate the every postion behind the forward then,

Yep, agreed. Just got to hope that ndaiye and lindstrom are capable of a few goals

He should easily score 10 from open play per season, that's on him.

He got 7 and was well off it last season.

N'Diaye behind him rather than Doucoure should help. He looks a bit more composed.

No idea where Lindstrom plays but maybe he'll help.

Ideally we'd have some pace/ability to cross a ball from wide too, because we really lack that.

I’m hoping they bring someone else in like Gnonto who at least offers some energy.

Horrible watching us when we got forward last season. Surprised we scored any goals apart from set pieces.

I’m hoping they bring someone else in like Gnonto who at least offers some energy.

Horrible watching us when we got forward last season. Surprised we scored any goals apart from set pieces.

It dictated horrible, %, pragmatic football.

I think this team we have now dictates the same - don't lose/protect the point - get to 40 points.

The annoying thing is, we're only a couple of players and good fortune with injuries away from enjoying a blood pressure relieving season.

Not quite true about McNeil and Harrison, he could have tried other things, changed the number 10, gave dobbin or danjuma more game, played Patterson more or pushed Myko further up to help the wide players, instead he’d rather play Godfrey and he’d rather play young or garner right wing over dobbin.

Your answer will be dobbin ain’t good enough, maybe true, but let’s not pretend McNeil or Harrison as wide players are any better than relegation fodder wide players. And Garner and young ffs, prior to last season young hasn’t played on the wing for about 5 yrs

Agree with this. Also think if the market is telling us he's only worth this much it's all the more reason to consider whether we even want to commit 20-30m in wages to him over the next 4 or 5 years were he to have a change of heart about renewing.
10-15 million gives us at least a down payment for a player over a 4 year contract , letting him walk for nothing doesn't

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back