Everton Summer 2024 Transfer Thread

I don't mind keeping one of Beto or Maupay as long as one of them goes and we get a replacement. Ideally both go but with Chermiti out for a while and little takers for each it isn't realistic unfortunately.

It’s not a striker I’d be after but we do have a numbers issue. For the 6/8/10 and two wingers we should have ten players (2 per position). We only have 8 - discounting Maupay who will surely be punted.

Hopefully we bring in a wide player that can score goals as that’s something we badly need.
I would like another wide player but it probably does depend on one of the strikers going. If we’re including the midfield I think they probably want to get Phillips so the numbers are pretty much right. I’m not saying everything’s great btw I don’t know how the new players will do they’re not amazing on paper my point was just that I can see why they spent money on a centre half aswell.

But the defense was good last season, and it hasn't changed at all this year?
The defence was also very lucky last season that Branthwaite and Tarkowski were injury free.

For me the signing of O’Brien plugs one of the biggest weaknesses we have and that’s the drop off from those two to the backups. There’s no bigger drop off between any other starter and backup than those two to Keane or god forbid Holgate.

A serious injury to either of them could genuinely risk relegation and O’Brien takes away that massive luck factor and I think a massive part of squad building is that you don’t go into the season praying for luck.

Signing o’Brien doesn’t feel necessary until it is but I also know the sick feeling I had in my stomach last season any time JT or JB even required treatment. I’d love more attackers in addition but after Ndiaye and Lindstrom arrived I think it was 100% the correct position to strengthen.

The defence was also very lucky last season that Branthwaite and Tarkowski were injury free.

For me the signing of O’Brien plugs one of the biggest weaknesses we have and that’s the drop off from those two to the backups. There’s no bigger drop off between any other starter and backup than those two to Keane or god forbid Holgate.

A serious injury to either of them could genuinely risk relegation and O’Brien takes away that massive luck factor and I think a massive part of squad building is that you don’t go into the season praying for luck.

Signing o’Brien doesn’t feel necessary until it is but I also know the sick feeling I had in my stomach last season any time JT or JB even required treatment. I’d love more attackers in addition but after Ndiaye and Lindstrom arrived I think it was 100% the correct position to strengthen.
This is generally my feeling as well. The centre halves are so important to us that it's imperative that we have, at the very least, some solid succession planning in place. Keane & Holgate are 100% gone next summer (if not before) and they can't be relied on as decent backup either way..

This is generally my feeling as well. The centre halves are so important to us that it's imperative that we have, at the very least, some solid succession planning in place. Keane & Holgate are 100% gone next summer (if not before) and they can't be relied on as decent backup either way..
Can you imagine next summer. Branthwaite gets sold, holgate and Keane leave.

We need to sign 3 CBs in one go without strengthening anywhere else (which with gana, doucs and Harrison, Coleman and young out of contract will also be needed).

We can’t be shortsighted about it, we have 4 strikers at the club and we play with 1. Until one leaves, we aren’t getting another.

Can you imagine next summer. Branthwaite gets sold, holgate and Keane leave.

We need to sign 3 CBs in one go without strengthening anywhere else (which with gana, doucs and Harrison, Coleman and young out of contract will also be needed).
Indeed. I actually think, given the current needs in the squad, that Thelwell has done alright so far. To retain the services of Harrison whilst adding N'diaye & Lindstrom on top of addressing the CB situation with O'Brien is positive. My main concerns are actually in central midfield and at full back - unless he plans on properly integrating Patterson into the side then we really could do with another option.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back