Everton Summer 2024 Transfer Thread

Yeah it’s just weird how a bloke who spends 10 mins in fields up and down the uk and may or may not have a whippet somehow managed to scout lads playing in Ukraine Italy Portugal France etc.

All teams make poor signings. Our recruitment was very poor for a long time, not helped by horrendous injuries and changing manager every season. It’s got better recently though which probably shows the scouting network is working better.
Lets hold its got better until we see how it pans out over the season with what's come in so far your list or recent players Braithwaite had a great first season no argument Mykolenko is like marmite with some the rest the jury is out so far i really hope we are getting it right going forward i think the main gripe was that were not finding these players earlier and getting them in cheaper than we are paying or will need to pay going forward

In the Prem he's averaged 1 in 4 for Brighton and 1 in 5 for Brentford so it. Not sure that counts as "doing it"

@ToffeeScot's point is Maupay has performed to a level much above what we saw at every other club;

Championship
43 Appearances - 25 Goals

Prem
37 Appearances - 10 Goals
33 Appearances - 8 Goals
32 Appearances - 8 Goals
Everton: 29 Appearances - 1 Goal
29 Appearances - 6 goals

^ League goals - he scored a couple more in the cup last season too.

For Brentford last season - he averaged 1 goal every 190 minutes. Better than anyone we had. Better conversion than anyone we had too. Compare that to Calvert-Lewin - 1 goal every 329 and Doucoure 1 goal every 391;

1718016224041.png

1718016239945.png

@ToffeeScot's point is Maupay has performed to a level much above what we saw at every other club;

Championship

Prem
33 Appearances - 8 Goals
32 Appearances - 8 Goals
29 Appearances - 6 goals

For Brentford last season - he averaged 1 goal every 190 minutes. Better than anyone we had. Better conversion than anyone we had too. Compare that to Calvert-Lewin - 1 goal every 329 and Doucoure 1 goal every 391;

1718016224041.png

1718016239945.png

Don't do it to yourself again, Dan

Lets hold its got better until we see how it pans out over the season with what's come in so far your list or recent players Braithwaite had a great first season no argument Mykolenko is like marmite with some the rest the jury is out so far i really hope we are getting it right going forward i think the main gripe was that were not finding these players earlier and getting them in cheaper than we are paying or will need to pay going forward

Onana has just been sold for a very large fee and profit on what we brought him for.

Branthwaite will end up going for close to a CB record

The jury is only out so far on Ndiaye Lindstrom and Irogebunam because they haven’t played a league minute for us.

These players were listed to show that the scouting network was clearly stretching further than a bloke in the park in the UK.

The argument of whether recruitment is improving or not isn’t a difficult one because if you’re buying terrible players for 20-30 mill pounds then the only way it gets worse is if you start paying more for those terrible players. We’ve bringing the net spend down and wage bill down so even if these players were equally as terrible as those before, then it’s still arguably better recruitment seeing the same quality for less money spent.

As it is I think we are selling players at better value, making better use of selling academy players, and structuring deals for incoming players better. As you say it will take time to fully see if we have improved but league position and points total is up from last two seasons preceding it and financial metrics are going in the right direction around transfers.

Don't do it to yourself again, Dan

Losing the most prolific goal scorer of goals in our squad based on last season would be risky, at this stage....

Across last season, Maupay;

1 goal every 190 minutes
0.47 goal every 90.
67% shot accuracy.
30% goal conversion

We didn't have a single player do any better on any of those metrics.

I'm off to visit Leeds now, but I'll leave you to mull over with @MikeH72

Losing the most prolific goal scorer of goals in our squad based on last season would be risky, at this stage....

Across last season, Maupay;

1 goal every 190 minutes
0.47 goal every 90.
67% shot accuracy.
30% goal conversion

We didn't have a single player do any better on any of those metrics.

I'm off to visit Leeds now, but I'll leave you to mull over with @MikeH72

Casually dropping forum bombs at 10am on a Wednesday you heathen witch

Championship

Prem
33 Appearances - 8 Goals
32 Appearances - 8 Goals
29 Appearances - 6 goals

1718016224041.png

1718016239945.png
But and this is a big one, he will never play because he doesn't suit the way Dyche plays. He doesn't suit the split striker in his system where we are expecting that player to also put a shift in and drop into the midfield at times or the nine when we play direct or long balls to that player, as we saw in the season where he only scored one goal. Not saying Maupay doesn't have value to someone but it's not us.

But and this is a big one, he will never play because he doesn't suit the way Dyche plays. He doesn't suit the split striker in his system where we are expecting that player to also put a shift in and drop into the midfield at times or the nine when we play direct or long balls to that player, as we saw in the season where he only scored one goal. Not saying Maupay doesn't have value to someone but it's not us.

Absolutely mate. Said all this before he signed too. Never, ever the player to play upfront on their tod. We did the same to Gray and Gordon.

Needs selling but if not, not a bad player to bring on if chasing a game because we'd then have the numbers upfront he needs.

I’ll be honest it must be a massive falling on my behalf but I genuinely didn’t know much about a couple of kids from Carlisle and Portugal who’d played about 20 first team games combined when we signed them

That's because you don't have a few hours spare a week which is used to watch some of the most obscure teams ever mate...

Need to learn from Nymz...

Yeah it’s just weird how a bloke who spends 10 mins in fields up and down the uk and may or may not have a whippet somehow managed to scout lads playing in Ukraine Italy Portugal France etc.

All teams make poor signings. Our recruitment was very poor for a long time, not helped by horrendous injuries and changing manager every season. It’s got better recently though which probably shows the scouting network is working better.

By and large under Thelwell, imo we have only struggled on CF.

That opinion could change though if Chermiti suddenly develops.

Championship

Prem
33 Appearances - 8 Goals
32 Appearances - 8 Goals
29 Appearances - 6 goals

1718016224041.png

1718016239945.png
Purely comes down to style of play, hes not a completely useless player but appears to be horrible the way we have to play, unfortunately it takes a special type to lead the line for us. back to goal hold up etc

he suited brighton really well

Championship

Prem
33 Appearances - 8 Goals
32 Appearances - 8 Goals
29 Appearances - 6 goals

1718016224041.png

1718016239945.png

Maupay is what he is, a backup striker or a second striker in a 2 who'll get a team that plays to his strengths about 7-8 goals a season.

But he 100% doesn't suit how we play and we don't alter how we play to suit individual players (weakness of Dyche being pretty inflexible)

It's why the shouts of we will be stuck with him are silly, he's a good option for 5-6 prem teams and about 15-16 championship ones.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.