Everton Summer 2024 Transfer Thread

I can see the logic much more from Ipswich’s perspective. They still badly need some real quality and experience to try to stay up, and it’s a gamble he might provide it, if it works they’ve got in a player of a level they could never have got any other way. If it doesn’t work and they go down they have no permanent commitment.

We are in a different place where we have no shortage of PL experienced players and don’t really need to take a gamble on Phillips but for Ipswich it might be worth the punt.

Its very difficult for players who have seemingly made it, won stuff and earnt a transfer to a top club to perform when they are on their way down.

Its probably testament to how secure and safe we as a club will be that we're not panicking into this deal this season.

40m for Championship players feels a long way from the model that’s been so successful for them. I’m sure his data is wonderful but it seems a lot to me.
Interesting Brighton are starting to pay fairly pay big fees for players these days...wonder if they've had a shift in strategy.

Past 2 window have seen 30+ mil players come through the door and with with this Rutter bid its something we haven't really seen from them, especially given he's utter pony.

Its very difficult for players who have seemingly made it, won stuff and earnt a transfer to a top club to perform when they are on their way down.

Its probably testament to how secure and safe we as a club will be that we're not panicking into this deal this season.
Good way to think about it hopefully the club is working on other players

Thing is I don't think he does improve us, he's 28 - 29 very soon, and actually only had three very good seasons in his career - all under the same manager and system - and all now three years on the rearview.

We'd be paying an insane amount for a guy who unless he finds a time machine will be fourth choice here.

Yes I'd start Gueye, Garner and Tim ahead of anything Philips has shown for years.

I also think it's telling just how many minutes City gave him in low pressure pre season games trying to build up interest in him (he was gone no matter what he did) first as a cm but he looked terrible in a few games so they switched him to centre back where he had more time and less press - that's where his recent good performances have been for them.

Really clever by Guardiola in fact doing so as CB at city is arguably the easiest position in world football to play

I wouldn't of minded him to be honest, he's a player i tracked when Leeds where middling in the championship, he would have suited how we will play, i wasn't to worried about his recent form the last couple of seasons - i think there is context there - but i would be concerned by injuries and wages.

It was one if it fell right could of worked for us, but i think we had a budget in terms of what % of wages we would pay and i think Ipswich gazumped that - fair enough - you move on - I'm sure we have a list and I'm sure there are options for a pressing midfielder - if we go that route.

Still feel a priority overall is a bit of pace in the team, whether that's at full back or the right wing - they would be my priorities.

Coming to the point where i think we aren't going to cover every hole in the squad and we will play the season light in one line or another, so its a decision on which hole is the priority.

Last edited:

If we are going to take a punt on a high wage guy with long term fitness issues it was never going to be Phillips when Dele is training with us and we have been in no rush to make a decision on him. If City were willing to waive loan fees and cover most of his wages that might have changed things but they weren’t so rightly we are not willing to take that chance. He might do well at Ipswich but it is not a risk we should be taking.

Thought that when they forked out a club record fee on Minteh as well mate, even if these guys develop decently then they already paid a premium so can't see any profit, and the exposure is huge if they bust out
Yeah with their strategy you can have hits and misses at 5-10m because your hits more than pay for your misses. At 30-40m you just need a couple of misses to really set you back, as Everton well know.

They are also spending big into a market that’s slowing down, they might not be commanding the fees on the hits they previously did.

i wasn't against Phillips but only if it was financially viable. I've read Ipswich will be spending as much as 13m over the course of the season for a player that is very much a gamble. He could be another Barkley and thrive at a newly promoted club where he is the 'big fish' or he may prove what many think... that he's just not good enough anymore.

I think (or at least i hope) the club looked at the deal and decided it wasn't worth wasting a loan on and that there were better options out there.

I wouldn't of minded him to be honest, he's a player i tracked when Leeds where middling in the championship, he would have suited how we will play, i wasn't to worried about his recent form the last couple of seasons - i think there is context there - but i would be concerned by injuries and wages.

It was one if it fell right could of worked for us, but i think we had a budget in terms of what % of wages we would pay and i think Ipswich gazumped that - fair enough - you move on - I'm sure we have a list and I'm sure there are options for a pressing midfielder - if we go that route.

Still feel a priority overall is a bit of pace in the team, whether that's at full back or the right wing - they would be my priorities.

Coming to the point where i think we aren't going to cover every hole in the squad and we will play the season light in one line or another, so its a decision on which hole is the priority.

Said for a whilst mate we'd be way better served doing a similar but cheaper deal to Lindstrom for Bove from Roma, saw enough of him as a sub v us to reinforce that view as well.

Yeah with their strategy you can have hits and misses at 5-10m because your hits more than pay for your misses. At 30-40m you just need a couple of misses to really set you back, as Everton well know.

They are also spending big into a market that’s slowing down, they might not be commanding the fees on the hits they previously did.

Maybe a sign of increased competition as more and more seem to be going down that route also, or they have ran out of the player lists left by their former DoF when he left

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back