Everton Summer 2024 Transfer Thread

If that's the case, then it's another transfer window where we failed to address the key positions in attack.
Devils Advocate - We have been crying out for more pace and creativity in attacking areas. We've brought in N'Diaye and Lindstrom who seem to be able to provide that. We are as per the status quo in the striking dept. Last season we had Doucoure as the only real number 10. We had Danjuma and Dobbin in wide areas who barely played, so I'd say we are arguably better off in attacking areas now.

I think the bigger focus would be midfield - we've lost Onana and for all the stick he gets on here, the lad is a young international who's got plenty of experience and a Champions League team were happy to drop £50m on him. We've lost Gomes as well who was a bit part player, but between those two weve only brought in a kid from Villa (who might eventually do very well, but there's a notable drop off in the here and now).

Defensively we were good last season and we are, on paper, slightly better off as we now have a 3rd centre back who is 1st team level, rather than having to hold my breath every Saturday before the teams are announced worrying that Branthwaite or Tarkowski picked up a knock in training and fearing seeing Keane's name on the teamsheet. Ok, we've lost Godfrey but he was a back up full back.

I think the squad overall is marginally better than what we ended last season with, but we are still a centre mid, a winger and a left back short of what we'd ideally have.

Perfectly normal reaction in here to Dyche saying signings are unlikely.

As some of the normal posters have said, we have a bit of a bloated squad, until we can move some players on i'd imagine signings are unlikely.

On a positive, it shows Dyche may have some trust in young Iroegbunam & even Armstrong

We don’t know to be fair , could have been media talk .

Again tho we are not addressing clear issues, that midfield is light and Gana is 34 years old. I know our situation plays a big factor, it does my head in tho, with the money we can spend we have to be smart but we always chase our own problems. “That area is weak” “we need this” . Every year. There’s a real lack of goals in this squad too.

I’m fed up of people being dismissive of clear problems too, saying “it’s fine “. It’s not fine, and fine is such a cop out response as well.
I genuinely don't know what money we have, but I feel that, with one minor sale e.g. a Maupay, we could manage to get in Ernest Nuamah with the kind of low down-payments they favour in France and get Cajuste in on loan, or a Beto style deal. Then look at a loan for FB.

Should be manageable that, surely?

Don't think we can sort the striker situation out now DCL has strung us along so long. Look at what Bournemouth are having to pay for Evanilson - a decent player - but that is mad money. Just don't think we have many options at this stage, even if we were to move him on

I'm more worried theirs nothing coming in for Maupay and Holgate and so on, wish we could move them on and replace them with cheap effective players who I'm not yet sick of seeing play in blue.

Devils Advocate - We have been crying out for more pace and creativity in attacking areas. We've brought in N'Diaye and Lindstrom who seem to be able to provide that. We are as per the status quo in the striking dept. Last season we had Doucoure as the only real number 10. We had Danjuma and Dobbin in wide areas who barely played, so I'd say we are arguably better off in attacking areas now.

I think the bigger focus would be midfield - we've lost Onana and for all the stick he gets on here, the lad is a young international who's got plenty of experience and a Champions League team were happy to drop £50m on him. We've lost Gomes as well who was a bit part player, but between those two weve only brought in a kid from Villa (who might eventually do very well, but there's a notable drop off in the here and now).

Defensively we were good last season and we are, on paper, slightly better off as we now have a 3rd centre back who is 1st team level, rather than having to hold my breath every Saturday before the teams are announced worrying that Branthwaite or Tarkowski picked up a knock in training and fearing seeing Keane's name on the teamsheet. Ok, we've lost Godfrey but he was a back up full back.

I think the squad overall is marginally better than what we ended last season with, but we are still a centre mid, a winger and a left back short of what we'd ideally have.

….i think that’s a fair summary. I wonder will Harrison Armstrong be added to CM options, he’s clearly impressing Dyche.

Perfectly normal reaction in here to Dyche saying signings are unlikely.

As some of the normal posters have said, we have a bit of a bloated squad, until we can move some players on i'd imagine signings are unlikely.

On a positive, it shows Dyche may have some trust in young Iroegbunam & even Armstrong
Precisely. We have a centre back (Holgate or Keane) and a Striker (Maupay) that we don't need. There isn't much value in either of them, but they're on the wage bill and I absolutely get that we need to get them out of the club before we can do anything else. There's also the issue of cash flow, so we probably need a significant sale (Branthwaite, DCL or Beto) before we can lay out the cash required to bring in the 2/3/4 players we'd ideally need to bring in

If we sell players we will add players .
If we don't we won't
Think that's pretty evident
Still think we will get atleast another two in cm and maybe a rb. Cant see the links for kabore anywhere so not aure if any truth to them. Just think more deals will come up towards the end of the window. If we can make another sale think another winger could come in and a striker will depend if beto or dcl go out

I'm not convinced the players we've added will score goals at this level. Very happy to be proven wrong on that one.

When you score as few goals as we do. And when you are as poor in front of goal as we have been for the past few years, then I dont see how attack isn't the only priority position that really matters.

Gradual improvement in other areas will only bring about very limited results until we have a reliable goalscorer in the squad.

I'm not happy with the uncertainty at the striker position. It's now late in the window and we are in a tough spot. We can't afford to lose Dom (or any good player with transfer value) for free but equally have not enough time now to replace him. We really should have tried to resolve this before pre season started.

I certainly don't fear a full overhaul of our attacking positions. I think its something that needs to ultimately happen so we can start improving.

I'm not convinced the players we've added will score goals at this level. Very happy to be proven wrong on that one.

When you score as few goals as we do. And when you are as poor in front of goal as we have been for the past few years, then I dont see how attack isn't the only priority position that really matters.

Gradual improvement in other areas will only bring about very limited results until we have a reliable goalscorer in the squad.

I'm not happy with the uncertainty at the striker position. It's now late in the window and we are in a tough spot. We can't afford to lose Dom (or any good player with transfer value) for free but equally have not enough time now to replace him. We really should have tried to resolve this before pre season started.

I certainly don't fear a full overhaul of our attacking positions. I think its something that needs to ultimately happen so we can start improving.

The issue is though, how do you resolve it in pre season if nobody bids for him?

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back