Everton Summer 2024 Transfer Thread

How on earth were starting a season with 3 new signings not deemed able to start. It would have been 4 if Garner was fit, or we didn't sell Onana too.

It is a very strange dynamic where we have a coach who doesn't believe players can start games as they don't have PL experience but we sign a bunch of players without PL experience.

How on earth were starting a season with 3 new signings not deemed able to start. It would have been 4 if Garner was fit, or we didn't sell Onana too.
Yeah, I think we are all on the same page here.

Nobody wants to see Keane or Holgate in the team as they've proven over an extended period of time that they're not good enough. We sign a centre back for decent money (of our v limited budget) and Keane plays instead

The fans, the manager and most commentators remarked last season about our lack of pace and creativity in attacking areas. We sign two versatile, relatively quick ball carrying attacking players and they're both benched (despite getting pre season minutes) for the attacking midfield axis which caused half the problems last season.

In fact the only positive from yesterday was the new lad in midfield who 100% wouldn't have played if it weren't for the injury to Garner.

It's maddening tbh and it's on Dyche rather than Thelwell.

Yeah, I think we are all on the same page here.

Nobody wants to see Keane or Holgate in the team as they've proven over an extended period of time that they're not good enough. We sign a centre back for decent money (of our v limited budget) and Keane plays instead

The fans, the manager and most commentators remarked last season about our lack of pace and creativity in attacking areas. We sign two versatile, relatively quick ball carrying attacking players and they're both benched (despite getting pre season minutes) for the attacking midfield axis which caused half the problems last season.

In fact the only positive from yesterday was the new lad in midfield who 100% wouldn't have played if it weren't for the injury to Garner.

It's maddening tbh and it's on Dyche rather than Thelwell.

I think we're the same as we have been the previous 3 years.

Crap, relegation fodder.

Ndiaye and Lindstrom doesn't change my opinion because like I've been saying, I've seen neither play and neither have done it at the top level. Both come in after horror seasons for themselves.

It all means deep, pragmatic, % football.

Spurs next. Go on the front foot there with this team - the slowest in the league and it's a repeat of Chelsea when we tried it last season.

So there's disconnect between recruitment (which Dyche should be an integral part of) - or the players we've signed just deemed either not ready (why?! Recruitment or coaching failure or both?) or not good enough.
There's clearly a disconnect and that's a huge problem.

But equally Dyche is bizarrely loyal to some of our constantly underperforming senior players. We've already seen enough to know Ndiaye is a better footballer than Doucoure. Lindstrom is a bit different, I've no idea if he is any good but he obviously deserves a chance.

And if O Brien is not deemed better than Keane or Holgate, then why on earth did we spend about 17m to sign him. I dont believe that's the case at all, but the manager is negative and safety first with a delusional view that experience is better than quality.

There's probably blame to be shared between all of Dyche, Thelwell and the recruitment team. I think a lot of the blame lies with Dyche due to his refusal to back new or younger players FWIW.

But our recruitment strategy is on the whole, totally shambolic. The decision to spend our remaining budget on a centre half for the bench, when we can't buy a goal, is completely unforgiveable. Especially after it seemed we had originally been trying to sign Gnonto from Leeds. It's like the Dyche v Bielsa situation only on the playing side.

O’Brien not playing ahead of Keane was a real shock to me and I can’t understand that at all. The other 2 I’m not surprised though I think they’re players who hopefully give us more options and can do something over the time they’re here but neither of them have records that make you think they’re coming in to be automatic picks in the starting eleven and lindstrom has looked well off it in pre season tbf.

Lindstrom fitting in well then !
🤣🤣

There's clearly a disconnect and that's a huge problem.

But equally Dyche is bizarrely loyal to some of our constantly underperforming senior players. We've already seen enough to know Ndiaye is a better footballer than Doucoure.

But when we talk pragmatic/% football - Brighton are the much better team. He's felt Doucoure gives us an outball.

I named the 11 on here before the game. Was always going to be that IMO.

And if O Brien is not deemed better than Keane or Holgate, then why on earth did we spend about 17m to sign him. I dont believe that's the case at all, but the manager is negative and safety first with a delusional view that experience is better than quality.

God knows.

Suspect Textor involved in that.

It was reported OBrien wasn't a Dyche signing.

If Dyche hasn't got input in players we sign for fees then what's that say about the clubs trust in the manager?

There's probably blame to be shared between all of Dyche, Thelwell and the recruitment team. I think a lot of the blame lies with Dyche due to his refusal to back new or younger players FWIW.

But our recruitment strategy is on the whole, totally shambolic. The decision to spend our remaining budget on a centre half for the bench, when we can't buy a goal, is completely unforgiveable. Especially after it seemed we had originally Bern trying to sign Gnonto from Leeds. It's like the Dyche v Bielsa situation only on the playing side.

Fans need to check their own expectations as well, though.

A team that has been on its arse for 3 years isn't going to suddenly be not crap because of the window we've just had.

I think we're the same as we have been the previous 3 years.

Crap, relegation fodder.

Ndiaye and Lindstrom doesn't change my opinion because like I've been saying, I've seen neither play and neither have done it at the top level. Both come in after horror seasons for themselves.

It all means deep, pragmatic, % football.

Spurs next. Go on the front foot there with this team - the slowest in the league and it's a repeat of Chelsea when we tried it last season.
The pragmatic approach comes from the manager though. If you’re not prepared to devalue from how you play or experiment with new players then you’ll get the same outcome

He out Ndiaye on yesterday and the lad spend the majority of his 25 minutes at left back. That’s a direct instruction of a gameplan.

Not a “go on and change the game” instruction; it’s a direct replacement for what we had in McNeil. Sit deep and cover our fullback

But when we talk pragmatic/% football - Brighton are the much better team. He's felt Doucoure gives us an outball.

I named the 11 on here before the game. Was always going to be that IMO.

God knows.

Suspect Textor involved in that.

It was reported OBrien wasn't a Dyche signing.

If Dyche hasn't got input in players we sign for fees then what's that say about the clubs trust in the manager?

Fans need to check their own expectations as well, though.

A team that has been on its arse for 3 years isn't going to suddenly be not crap because of the window we've just had.
I think the resigning of Young and Coleman means he does have input but at the end of the day Thelwell will have the final say as he has to think long term and has to build a squad whereas Dyche could theoretically walk out the door next week. I never think the DoF model works well when you have 'manager types' in the role its more suited towards a training ground coach type imo.

The pragmatic approach comes from the manager though. If you’re not prepared to devalue from how you play or experiment with new players then you’ll get the same outcome

He out Ndiaye on yesterday and the lad spend the majority of his 25 minutes at left back. That’s a direct instruction of a gameplan.

Not a “go on and change the game” instruction; it’s a direct replacement for what we had in McNeil. Sit deep and cover our fullback

It's grim to watch. But I understand why he has wingers who defend first when Young and Mykolenko are behind them.

I named the 11 before the game;

Perhaps a team like this;

View attachment 269143

No pace at all.

We'll need to go deep and hope for set piece.

Same as last season, then.

... As did others.

Put Ndiaye in. Put Lindstrom in. Put OBrien in. It's still relegation fodder.

Spurs next. What do we do there?

I think the resigning of Young and Coleman means he does have input but at the end of the day Thelwell will have the final say as he has to think long term and has to build a squad whereas Dyche could theoretically walk out the door next week. I never think the DoF model works well when you have 'manager types' in the role its more suited towards a training ground coach type imo.

I wouldn't put stock into that. I think them renewals out of necessity because we don't have the numbers/depth.

To me it feels like whenever we spend money - it's out of Dyches hands. As it probably should be but then we see a disconnect.

It's grim to watch. But I understand why he has wingers who defend first when Young and Mykolenko are behind them.

I named the 11 before the game;

... As did others.

Put Ndiaye in. Put Lindstrom in. Put OBrien in. It's still relegation fodder.

Spurs next. What do we do there?
Imagine if he tried something different.

Dyche, like last season, as convinced this fanbase with his extremely poor approach to games, like of imagination and ideas and a sole focus on don’t concede.

Thewell needs to take the decision out of his hands and try and force the sale of players like Holgate, Keane, Doucoure and remove them from his plan

Both of those contract extensions were terrible decisions. Particularly if the manager doesn't trust Patterson.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back