Everton Summer 2024 Transfer Thread

We made over 15m quid on Onana, clearly a good signing.
Garner also been a good signing.

He never signed Coady he arrived in the January - Thelwell end of February.

Vinagre and Danjuma both loans, so not even counting those as awful as they left no real financial impact for being crap.

I've been told he didn't want Maupay (but shares the responsibility even so imo), young I agree has been terrible - I'm guessing that was the manager pestering for him (a good dof should ignore that tbh) McNeil - yeah been rubbish - would still likely recoup a fair bit we paid though for him.

Thelwell definitely signed Coady. In August.

Thelwell has been awful IMO.

Ndiaye definitely is, but Lindstrom had some success playing on the flanks.

But pace is pace, especially those that are comfortable running with the ball. It simply makes the opposition question what the player will do

you have McNeil running at you can literally force him onto his right foot and you either win it or the ball is going backwards

Not sure - this fella seemed to think what got him the move was playing centrally. He then didn't get a sniff at Napoli.

Accept your point on pace, and any pace out wide is better than watching McNeil and Harrison but it's still us starting a season with 2 natural wingers, both who are slow.

Think it's as simple as we are crap mate.

Slowest team in the league.

And crap.

Spurs next and for me we have to do what we did all last season.

Play deep. Bore the arse of everyone and hope to snide a goal from a set piece.

The alternative is try and go on the front foot like Lampard did at Spurs, or Dyche did at Chelsea and honestly - this team isn't anywhere near capable of it.
Agree we lack pace and quality in areas but a more progressive coach would have us easily lower midtable even with this squad. I dont mean open like Lamps i just mean having an attacking plan beyond launching it and counters

I believe Kev signed all the players listed below, but only two have been successful (maybe Onana also), and I think any of us could have identified those two. I do believe Tim and Chermiti will prove to be good signings, and I hope the new additions perform well, but the rest, at best, are average. While I appreciate that he doesn't have the funds to acquire the players he likely wants, I feel that the choices he has made with the available budget have been poor.

Onana - Ok
McNeil - Awful
Maupay - Awful
Garner - Ok
Gueye - Good
Tarkowski - Good
Coady - Ok
Vinagre - Awful
Beto - Ok
Chermiti - Ok
Young - Awful
Danjuma - Awful
Harrison - Ok
O'Brian TBC
Ndiaye TBC
Iroegbunham TBC
Lindstrom TBC

We made over 15m quid on Onana, clearly a good signing.
Garner also been a good signing.

He never signed Coady he arrived in the January - Thelwell end of February.

Vinagre and Danjuma both loans, so not even counting those as awful as they left no real financial impact for being crap.

I've been told he didn't want Maupay (but shares the responsibility even so imo), young I agree has been terrible - I'm guessing that was the manager pestering for him (a good dog should ignore that tbh) McNeil - yeah been rubbish - would still likely recoup a fair bit we paid though for him.
So there's disconnect between recruitment (which Dyche should be an integral part of) - or the players we've signed just deemed either not ready (why?! Recruitment or coaching failure or both?) or not good enough.

Manager shouldn't be that integral to recruitment mate, besides the DoF giving him several names and saying one if these is coming in, Duchess involvement should be at the level of saying to Thelwell his opinions on positions he needs and then Thelwell using all the analytics available to get the best one for the team.

I'll go out on a limb here, I'm almost certain that Thelwell is getting players they can fit into a Dyche system but who ultimately are better in the system which Thelwell as the DoF should decide us the club's long term plan.

In short Thelwell isn't recruiting for a particular manager but for a long term system and style of play which future managers will be recruited based upon suiting this.

Actually what a sporting director does at the well run sides.

Looking at what we brought in this summer - both Lindstrom and Ndiaye suit a 3-4-3 as would O'Brien, Tim is a technically very good midfielder, Garner similarly has that about him too.

If we got the Roma lad it'd just further reinforce my opinion we are recruiting for a change if system next or even this season should Dyche go.

Agree we lack pace and quality in areas but a progressive coach would have us easily lower midtable even with this squad

I don't think so personally.

Because a "progressive" coach, any hipster coach we can name, still needs a team with some pace and ability in the final third and this team has none of it.

All these teams below are better than us, and none earned more points than Dyche last season;

There's a reason why the bookies have us tipped again to be right down there.

Not sure - this fella seemed to think what got him the move was playing centrally. He then didn't get a sniff at Napoli.

Accept your point on pace, and any pace out wide is better than watching McNeil and Harrison but it's still us starting a season with 2 natural wingers, both who are slow.
But again this comes down to the perception of needing traditional wingers?? The majority of teams have the old inside forwards, their pace is utilised in between the fullback and the centre back.

The RS, Newcastle, Arsenal yesterday; all their “wide players” don’t go near the touch line

But it comes to pragmatism and ways of playing. Dyche, whether you like it or not, as used the same formation and style of play for 10 years. No deviation; players play conservatively first

It is a very strange dynamic where we have a coach who doesn't believe players can start games as they don't have PL experience but we sign a bunch of players without PL experience.

Likely because Thelwell thinks the premiership experience is an absolutely atrocious recruitment strategy.

And arguably the one that wrecked us financially if you look at how we had to pay to get that.

But again this comes down to the perception of needing traditional wingers?? The majority of teams have the old inside forwards, their pace is utilised in between the fullback and the centre back.

The RS, Newcastle, Arsenal yesterday; all their “wide players” don’t go near the touch line

But it comes to pragmatism and ways of playing. Dyche, whether you like it or not, as used the same formation and style of play for 10 years. No deviation; players play conservatively first

But we don't have pace at full back either.

You want Coleman/Young or Mykolenko flying forward?

Kabore yeah he would be good can play right back and wing and has pace
Kabore would be good loan signing, as dyche won’t play Patterson. My other worry though is myko gets injured we are in trouble on that side. Regardless of quality, we have Coleman, young, Patterson, Dixon and James garner can play there. We have no cover on the left, and I wouldn’t want braithwaite put out there. Only option is a back 3 with McNeil wingback, but that’s scary thought. Really frustrating that we haven’t got the means to plug the holes.

Because a "progressive" coach, any hipster coach we can name, still needs a team with some pace and ability in the final third and this team has none of it.

All these teams below are better than us, and none earned more points than Dyche last season;

I wonder if the odds would change if we didn't have the worst manager in the league?

Could it be that the bookies know this?

A manager who plays for a 0-0 doesn't really give you a chance.

I wonder if the odds would change if we didn't have the worst manager in the league?

Could it be that the bookies know this?

A manager who plays for a 0-0 doesn't really give you a chance.

Aye, maybe if we brought a progressive coach in - like Lampard, or a title winning coach like Benitez then suddenly we'd see a team find pace and goals that it hasn't in over 3 years.

I dont think we will have a great season and not going to really defend dyche because i thought got it wrong the lineup subs ect. I dont think will be massive change but yesterday we did have alot of the spine of the team not playing branthwaite garner both who would inprove the team. And 100% agree we need add pace to this team is why think we need see atleast 3 come in. Another winger rb and a cm would love a lb aswell if possible and just try and spread money where we can to get it done.

Imagine if he tried something different.

Dyche, like last season, as convinced this fanbase with his extremely poor approach to games, like of imagination and ideas and a sole focus on don’t concede.

Thewell needs to take the decision out of his hands and try and force the sale of players like Holgate, Keane, Doucoure and remove them from his plan

Yup one hundred percent, I'd add McNeil to them too

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back