Everton Summer 2024 Transfer Thread

Imagine if he tried something different.

Dyche, like last season, as convinced this fanbase with his extremely poor approach to games, like of imagination and ideas and a sole focus on don’t concede.

Thewell needs to take the decision out of his hands and try and force the sale of players like Holgate, Keane, Doucoure and remove them from his plan

Think it's as simple as we are crap mate.

Slowest team in the league.

And crap.

Spurs next and for me we have to do what we did all last season.

Play deep. Bore the arse of everyone and hope to snide a goal from a set piece.

The alternative is try and go on the front foot like Lampard did at Spurs, or Dyche did at Chelsea and honestly - this team isn't anywhere near capable of it.

But you need some alignment there otherwise you spend nearly £20m on a centre half who isn't deemed ready to start ahead of Michael Keane.
That's why I don't like the DOF model. I dont think you'll ever find that perfect alignment.

But we have a DOF in place so it makes no sense to let the manager dictate recruitment.

As for the O Brien signing, it goes right up there in the most frustrating and baffling Everton signings of the last decade. I'm not saying the lad will be a bad player and he obviously deserves a chance. But it was just such a bad use of limited resources and the complete opposite of a priority signing.

I really am fed up with our constant failure to address the goal problem. This recruitment team clearly are not recognising the problem and this manager is clearly not capable of improving our attack.

Think it's as simple as we are crap mate.

Slowest team in the league.

And crap.

Spurs next and for me we have to do what we did all last season.

Play deep. Bore the arse of everyone and hope to snide a goal from a set piece.

The alternative is try and go on the front foot like Lampard did at Spurs, or Dyche did at Chelsea and honestly - this team isn't anywhere near capable of it.
Lindstrom and Ndiaye are not slow btw. They’re chance takers, they like facing people up and going around them.

Same as Danjuma; the problem is if they deviate from the defensive basics they’ll get bombed out.

We had 1 right back last week, why wasn’t Dixon given a run out against Roma as an insurance. Now we have Holgate playing.

That's why I don't like the DOF model. I dont think you'll ever find that perfect alignment.

But we have a DOF in place so it makes no sense to let the manager dictate recruitment.

As for the O Brien signing, it goes right up there in the most frustrating and baffling Everton signings of the last decade. I'm not saying the lad will be a bad player and he obviously deserves a chance. But it was just such a bad use of limited resources and the complete opposite of a priority signing.

I really am fed up with our constant failure to address the goal problem. This recruitment team clearly are not recognising the problem and this manager is clearly not capable of improving our attack.

Maybe we were willing to sell our defender but Man U moved away to other targets.

How on earth were starting a season with 3 new signings not deemed able to start. It would have been 4 if Garner was fit, or we didn't sell Onana too.
One of the best things we did this summer was deliver a batch of signings nice and early to get them ready and bedded in over pre-season, something we’ve been crying out for after recent seasons, and it wastes that if the manager still won’t play them til about October. Thelwell must be tearing his hair out.

He can’t even explain it logically: in his interviews after the game he said the forwards weren’t ready because of a lack of PL experience but in another interview he said Tim was ready to go because of his loan in the Championship meaning he had experience of English football. Ndiaye was one of the best players in the same league that season.

It was visible to everyone watching how much better we were against Roma when Ndiaye replaced Doucoure. It’s blind and stubborn decision making to revert to Doucoure and nonsense fag packet logic to try to justify it.

It's grim to watch. But I understand why he has wingers who defend first when Young and Mykolenko are behind them.

I named the 11 before the game;

... As did others.

Put Ndiaye in. Put Lindstrom in. Put OBrien in. It's still relegation fodder.

Spurs next. What do we do there?
Not sure I agree its "relegation fodder" we havent seen enough of these new players also we are missing Branthwaite who is one of our best players and improved our defence markedly last season, I would say its a lower midtable squad at best. As I do agree the squad is still seriously lacking at full back, thin in midfield, lacking pace on the wing and a genuine goal scorer. Which is why we have to bite the bullet now and make some sales even if its Dom or Doucoure to bring in the players we need.

Lindstrom and Ndiaye are not slow btw. They’re chance takers, they like facing people up and going around them.

Same as Danjuma; the problem is if they deviate from the defensive basics they’ll get bombed out.

We had 1 right back last week, why wasn’t Dixon given a run out against Roma as an insurance. Now we have Holgate playing.

Both at their best, centrally apparently.

We need pace out wide.

Mykolenko has only come on/most improved player under Dyche because Dyche has made us so defensive that it covers his game and the fact we have no other right back to come in tells you that this team is what it is.

But you need some alignment there otherwise you spend nearly £20m on a centre half who isn't deemed ready to start ahead of Michael Keane.
Dyche only excuse and reason for him or any of the signings starting is no prem experience. So by his logic if we signed Kylian Mbappé he wouldn’t start either.
Tim iroegbunam even though has few prem appearances, is only starting because james Garner is injured. Even though we all know Tim has been our best player all pre season and yesterday.

I believe Kev signed all the players listed below, but only two have been successful (maybe Onana also), and I think any of us could have identified those two. I do believe Tim and Chermiti will prove to be good signings, and I hope the new additions perform well, but the rest, at best, are average. While I appreciate that he doesn't have the funds to acquire the players he likely wants, I feel that the choices he has made with the available budget have been poor.

Onana - Ok
McNeil - Awful
Maupay - Awful
Garner - Ok
Gueye - Good
Tarkowski - Good
Coady - Ok
Vinagre - Awful
Beto - Ok
Chermiti - Ok
Young - Awful
Danjuma - Awful
Harrison - Ok
O'Brian TBC
Ndiaye TBC
Iroegbunham TBC
Lindstrom TBC

We made over 15m quid on Onana, clearly a good signing.
Garner also been a good signing.

He never signed Coady he arrived in the January - Thelwell end of February.

Vinagre and Danjuma both loans, so not even counting those as awful as they left no real financial impact for being crap.

I've been told he didn't want Maupay (but shares the responsibility even so imo), young I agree has been terrible - I'm guessing that was the manager pestering for him (a good dof should ignore that tbh) McNeil - yeah been rubbish - would still likely recoup a fair bit we paid though for him.

I don’t think the manager is crap. When you take last season, plus the points deduction, he’s done a very good job and picked up some very good results.

Given the players we have this year a similar finish is probably as much as anyone would expect.

On that basis what is it that we want? Progress isn’t going to be visible over 1 or 2 games or even a full season. There needs to be a take over to allow for the sea change that everyone wants to sweep across the club. At the moment we’re in a constant state of damage limitation and SD is probably the perfect man for the job.

Just to be clear, I’m not comfortable with any of that.
Agree we are limbo from the top a ruderless ship, that does not help. Dyche deserves credit for keeping us up despite all the off the field nonsense but he is also tactically limited and stubborn thst much is obvious.

Both at their best, centrally apparently.

We need pace out wide.

Mykolenko has only come on/most improved player under Dyche because Dyche has made us so defensive that it covers his game and the fact we have no other right back to come in tells you that this team is what it is.
Ndiaye definitely is, but Lindstrom had some success playing on the flanks.

But pace is pace, especially those that are comfortable running with the ball. It simply makes the opposition question what the player will do

you have McNeil running at you can literally force him onto his right foot and you either win it or the ball is going backwards

Not sure I agree its "relegation fodder" we havent seen enough of these players also we are missing Branthwaite who is one of our best players and improved our defence markedly last season, I would say its a lower midtable squad at best. As I do agree the squad is still seriously lacking at full back, weak on midfield, lacking pace on the wing and a genuine goal scorer. Which is why we have to bite the bullet now and make some sales even if its Dom or Doucoure to bring in the players we need.

To explain why I think we're relegation fodder...

As I said last week;

We've averaged 41 points over the last 3 years.

Has that much changed?

We've averaged 41 points over the last 3 seasons.

Last three year premier league;

Games: 114
Won: 32
Drawn: 27
Lost: 55
Goals Scored: 117
Goals Against: 174

From 342 points - we've earned 123.

We score 39 per season - an average of 1.03 per game.
We concede 58 per season - an average of 1.53 per game.

Why are some expecting us to be a much improved outfit?

Because of Ndiaye, Lindstrom, OBrien and Iroegbunam?

My view on them is;

Never seen either kick a ball but N'Diaye/Lindstrom can't be worse than Danjuma.

Be surprised if Iroegbunam is as good as Onana.

Not sure how much O'Brien will play with Branthwaite and Tarkowski but at least any centre half injury now doesn't mean Holgate or Keane,.

We were very fortunate last season with no real injuries.

I think the bookies are spot on with their assessment - they have Leciester (point deducion), Ipswich, Southampton favourites, with Forest/us level.

We're in the mix. We've got no depth. I think we're the slowest team in the league and we're relying on N'Diaye/Lindstrom to make the difference.

Like with previous summers - baffles me how many fans I see thinking we're not relegation candidates.

It's like a pride thing - people can't accept it but I look at our team, managed by Dyche for a reason and have very little hope.

Small margins down there - we need very good fortune with injuries like we had last season, and we need Lindstrom and Ndiaye to have a big impact.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back