Everton Summer 2024 Transfer Thread

Why do we have to play with fullbacks? Or alternatively, he knew we only had Young available why not give Dixon a run out against Roma - a fast young energetic player with pace to burn who is a right back.

sometimes things like this happen and you give a player and chance and they take that opportunity to shine. But no PL experience so that’s a write off

he’s trying to fit square pegs in round holes instead of trying to find alternatives. The obsession to play one way only has impeded his development as a manger.

He’s organised, gets teams fit but is so tactically inept it’s scary
Agreed he contradicts himself he cites PL experience but then will not give them any. Or even game time in friendlies the man is so inflexible until he is literally forced when Keane was making errors last season or the season before when Mina came in when we were heading for the trap door. Also if you aren't giving Beto more than twenty minutes in a friendly you may as well sell him.

We could have spent the O Brien money on a dynamic, fast wide forward like Brighton have. It absolutely would transform our attacking play

We cannot give Dyche and Thelwell a pass by saying the squad is not good enough. Part of the reason the squad is not good enough is due to appalling recruitment in the wrong areas.

All of the big money signings of the Dyche Thelwell period don't make the starting side. That's absolutely farcical and totally unacceptable.

Stop signing defenders and midfielders for money. Add pace and goals or we will never get better.

The reason our squad is so bad and slow and lethargic is largely down to the refusal of Dyche and the recruitment team to move into 2024 and put emphasis on goals and pace.

I give them 2 out of 10 for this transfer window. An absolute shocker.

Now say we don't have to play that formation and we had a manager who played this.

This is the team you've put;

1723978891449.png

Interesting.

Are Ndiaye an Lindstrom wingers there or central behind the striker?
Are McNeil/Harrison wingers or mainly dropping in/covering fullbacks?

What I'd say is;

Ndiaye or Lindstrom arent wingers, I don't think.
1 injury to Ndiaye, Lindstrom, McNeil or Harrison and it all falls down.
1 injury to Branthwaite, Tarkowski or OBrien and it all falls down.

Ideally you have some continuity - we don't have the depth for that system, IMO.

O’Brien not playing ahead of Keane was a real shock to me and I can’t understand that at all. The other 2 I’m not surprised though I think they’re players who hopefully give us more options and can do something over the time they’re here but neither of them have records that make you think they’re coming in to be automatic picks in the starting eleven and lindstrom has looked well off it in pre season tbf.
Why did we say them is what I would be asking.

View attachment 269430

Interesting.

What I'd say is;

Ideally you have some continuity - we don't have the depth for that system, IMO.
Agree but right now I think we have to play it. We cannot start with holgate at RB (or Young, Coleman, Patterson … Dixon ?)

Me too.

Hence naming the 11 before the game and how we'd play.

But you're the one saying theres alternatives which is why I've been trying to understand what that is and what you'd like to see Vs Spurs.

It's easy to find fault. Less so to find solutions.

I think the squad we have dictates what we see.
But we don’t find solutions, but in fantasy football land I would revert to to playing a 3 up top with Ndiaye and Lindstrom playing in the pockets behind Dom.

Gana and Tim behind them with sole aim of tracking runners

Back 3 would be OBrien, Tarky Myko. I’d have McNeil and left wing back and Harrison at right wing back. I’d almost try and use Myko as a man marker against Son if possible

Under pressure I would go have 7 behind the ball and just limit space everywhere in our final thrid. In transition, the formation would change to a 3-2-4-1

Considering how high up spurs play, I’d focus one side of the pitch to create an overload to drag their players out of position and leave space behind.

If we lost possession I’d ensure we maintained a back 5 and hold up play as much as possible until we regained our

View attachment 269430

Interesting.

What I'd say is;

Central behind the Striker.

That team destroys the 1 we put out yesterday.

So there's disconnect between recruitment (which Dyche should be an integral part of) - or the players we've signed just deemed either not ready (why?! Recruitment or coaching failure or both?) or not good enough.

exactly mate. we have pressing issues of and on the pitch we simply look lost on how to even play

no identity even hoof isn’t working

Agree but right now I think we have to play it. We cannot start with holgate at RB (or Young, Coleman, Patterson … Dixon ?)

Cant mate as Branthwaite isn't fit.

Suspect Lindstrom/OBrien aren't fit enough either - otherwise Holgate doesn't come on IMO.

But we don’t find solutions, but in fantasy football land I would revert to to playing a 3 up top with Ndiaye and Lindstrom playing in the pockets behind Dom.

Gana and Tim behind them with sole aim of tracking runners

Back 3 would be OBrien, Tarky Myko. I’d have McNeil and left wing back and Harrison at right wing back. I’d almost try and use Myko as a man marker against Son if possible

Under pressure I would go have 7 behind the ball and just limit space everywhere in our final thrid. In transition, the formation would change to a 3-2-4-1

Considering how high up spurs play, I’d focus one side of the pitch to create an overload to drag their players out of position and leave space behind.

If we lost possession I’d ensure we maintained a back 5 and hold up play as much as possible until we regained our

Behave mate, put football manager down.

;)

Central behind the Striker.

That team destroys the 1 we put out yesterday.

That team isn't possible with injuries.

There's been talk of a back three when we signed OBrien but that's never happening without Branthwaite.

Attachments

• 1723979471436.webp
    1723979471436.webp
    22 KB · Views: 4
Cant mate as Branthwaite isn't fit.

Suspect Lindstrom/OBrien aren't fit enough either - otherwise Holgate doesn't come on IMO.

Behave mate, put football manager down.

;)

That team isn't possible with injuries.

There's been talk of a back three when we signed OBrien but that's never happening without Branthwaite.
I thought we were playing hypothetical bingo.

View attachment 269430

Interesting.

Are McNeil/Harrison wingers or mainly covering fullbacks?

What I'd say is;

Both central mate but split wide in the half space.

And yup it's not ideal, but it's making the best use of what we actually have available and adjusting the formation to fit that.

And yup a few injuries it all comes apart - but looks at what happens with a few injuries to the current set up too.

How to make it work better - well CB is covered as Mykolenko can and has played their well for both his previous club and internationally.

Then we get into the depth problems - Harrison can cover the Ndiaye/Lindstrom position - think he played there for Leeds a bit as well and did fine, garner similarly can cover the right side of midfield in that case also - again he has done and played well there too, so your left with various light cover but far from ideal. Two injuries yup it all falls down I agree.

But it'd be a couple of signings away a cm and right winger with pace from having way more depth. Moreso if those players are versatile as well.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back