Everton Summer 2024 Transfer Thread

Why did we say them is what I would be asking.
It’s a fair question I don’t know but I don’t mean that they’re bad players and can’t ever do anything good for us only that they probably aren’t massive improvements on what we’ve got. If you sign 2 attackers for 16 mil or whatever it was then I think you have to set your expectations that they probably aren’t going to be amazing we know we wanted minteh and gnonto but we couldn’t afford them so we moved further down the list this is the reality of where we’re up to as a club I don’t like it but we have to judge them by the standards they can meet not the standards we’d want them to.

As I said, both things can be true.

Bad squad AND bad manager.

The same options remain no matter who replaces Dyche.

My point is - any manager and I'm saying we need to play % football because we're the slowest team in the league, and we're not very good.

I wish I could subscribe to "new manager sorts this" but the new manager would be David Moyes anyway.

I figure the below would be us at full strength.

Ive not seen Lindstrom play and I don't think he's a winger so I've put Ndiaye there.

Tim looked alright but likely we'll see Doucoure drop deeper.

But the below. It doesn't bode well. There's no pace or ability to progress play (Gnonto please!) so it's deep, with direct balls.

Calvert Lewin

Ndiaye

Harrison McNeil

Garner Tim

Mykolenko Branthwaite Tarkowski Coleman

Pickford.​
I would agree that’s the Dyche starting 11 but again you would ask were are the goals and creativity coming from ?

My point is - any manager and I'm saying we need to play % football because we're the slowest team in the league, and we're not very good.

I wish I could subscribe to "new manager sorts this" but the new manager would be David Moyes anyway.
It depends, the ownership is still an issue.

And I don't know if a new manager sorts it, but I think our current manager is stale and devoid of tactical knowledge.

We are the slowest in the league because the areas that stand out pace wise are normally the wide areas and we have myko (not slow but not a burner) OAPs in the right and Harrison and McNeil who are both very slow for wingers.

DCL, Tim, Garner, Gueye, Tarks aren't slow players.

Branthwaite and O'Brien are both very fast for CB and both Lindstrom and Ndiaye are fast with the ball at feet mate.

Again it's all down to those side areas where we insist on playing 3/4 very slow players in with a system that requires the wingers to have os even the counter for it to work half decently.

There's a reason when you look at Clough's sides he had great pace at FB/winger

Football managers aren’t stupid. They’ll take one look at a squad with no real pace in any position. Can’t play a high line, can’t play quick on the counter, best players are injury prone and come they’re out the drop off in quality is huge. No funds to replace them anyway, and even then there’ll be a new owner in soon who might fire me regardless.

No ip and coming progressive manager in touching that with a barge pole. Perhaps when the ownership is resolved and financial constraints have smoothed out.

There’s only so many tactical models you can play with the players we have.

There must be some research out there analysing the effect of experience of a league on performance. Be interesting to see what, if any, correlation there is. I remember Marcel Brands talking about it being a really important factor in recruitment. It's clearly a doctrine across certain clubs.

Anyway, one thing that shouldn't be forgotten is how frustrating it is for the new signings. You could say it's similarly anecdotal, and of course they would say it, but I've heard several former players talk about how annoying it is to sign for a club and then be told they need to "bed in". Footballers know how to play football. Good ones will pick up the manager's ideas quickly. They don't need to be eased in. Hopefully we see some more of our new additions starting against Spurs.

We are the slowest in the league because the areas that stand out pace wise are normally the wide areas and we have myko (not slow but not a burner) OAPs in the right and Harrison and McNeil who are both very slow for wingers.

DCL, Tim, Garner, Gueye, Tarks aren't slow players.

Branthwaite and O'Brien are both very fast for CB and both Lindstrom and Ndiaye are fast with the ball at feet mate.

Again it's all down to those side areas where we insist on playing 3/4 very slow players in with a system that requires the wingers to have os even the counter for it to work half decently.

There's a reason when you look at Clough's sides he had great pace at FB/winger
Right so its partly Dyche's CHOICE how slow we are

We could have spent the O Brien money on a dynamic, fast wide forward like Brighton have. It absolutely would transform our attacking play

We cannot give Dyche and Thelwell a pass by saying the squad is not good enough. Part of the reason the squad is not good enough is due to appalling recruitment in the wrong areas.

All of the big money signings of the Dyche Thelwell period don't make the starting side. That's absolutely farcical and totally unacceptable.

Stop signing defenders and midfielders for money. Add pace and goals or we will never get better.

The reason our squad is so bad and slow and lethargic is largely down to the refusal of Dyche and the recruitment team to move into 2024 and put emphasis on goals and pace.

I give them 2 out of 10 for this transfer window. An absolute shocker.
We have seemingly only gone for Gnonto for two summer windows despite not being able to afford him then when we cant get him we don't go for another player of that profile with pace. So its seemingly a choice Dyche and KT make see also him not starting players whk are quick

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back