Everton Summer 2024 Transfer Thread

Nope. Things can be done. Allowing fullbacks to overlap, even if they are crap going forward, would open space for our slow wingers. If he insists on playing the diagonal all the time, it would also mean that it might occasionally work. Using Beto and having the midfielders thread the ball in front of him for him to run onto (which is his main strength) rather than aimlessly launching the ball to DCL's head or our slow wingers with no overlapping FBs would be a start.

No-one is expecting this side to play possession football, but the lack of attacking ideas and play, the timid, safety first approach, is appalling. And people should stop excusing Dyche. As I have said before, I have never seen a manager pay such little heed to the attacking side of the game. He can't even do the ancient Brian Clough thing of "just give the ball to our better players" as he doesn't play them.

They do, all the time, Mykolenko did it loads on Saturday, especially in the first half, it didn’t come to anything because he can’t cross a ball. It made loads of space for McNeil who also couldn’t put a decent cross in. I watched Harrison bring down the ball and Young go past him loads of times. Young ballooned about 4 crosses onto the roof of the net and Harrison floated another three out of play. This was all in the first 20 minutes or so.

I’m not debating with anyone that we didn’t play badly yesterday, that Dyche didn’t get it wrong, or that the players weren’t very poor, but there’s just no need for these absolute statements that just aren’t true half the time.

I will argue til I’m blue in the face that I would sooner have a kid from the u21s or u18s adding depth to our first team, or even starting a game for us, like Dixon at rb due to injuries, than have the lies of absolutely finished footballers like Keane, holgate and young being selected and used when they are proven liabilities.

I’ve said it under every single manager we’ve had, and I don’t trust them to decide who is ready for first team football when they have the front to select these busted flush wage thieves.

I would genuinely sooner see them sit in the reserves and take their ridiculous wages than ever play in the royal blue again

There is absolutely no reason for O’Brien, Ndiaye or lindstrom not starting the game yesterday, aside from the arrogance of the manager.
The great irony is that our best performer yesterday was a young player Dyche would’ve had warming the bench if Garner was available or he’d landed his beloved PL experience in Phillips, proving that if you give them a chance hungry young players can and often do rise to the occasion. Not that Dyche will have learned that lesson.

I will argue til I’m blue in the face that I would sooner have a kid from the u21s or u18s adding depth to our first team, or even starting a game for us, like Dixon at rb due to injuries, than have the lies of absolutely finished footballers like Keane, holgate and young being selected and used when they are proven liabilities.

I’ve said it under every single manager we’ve had, and I don’t trust them to decide who is ready for first team football when they have the front to select these busted flush wage thieves.

I would genuinely sooner see them sit in the reserves and take their ridiculous wages than ever play in the royal blue again

There is absolutely no reason for O’Brien, Ndiaye or lindstrom not starting the game yesterday, aside from the arrogance of the manager.

Still remember Gary Neville saying he had that one game where he just knew he was done as a player, we t in and told Ferguson after that's it it's over. Never played again.

If ever there was (an)other game for young to think that it was yesterday. Tbh the last injury Coleman had it should hd e been his moment too, broke down twice in pre season after a season you only played twelve games tells you it's time to retire.

Neither will do though sadly and both will further diminish the memory of them as great players.

Credit due to Baines for not hanging around picking up a paycheck when washed up. Lesser extent Osman as well.

Maybe I'm horrificly misremembering but I can't remember the last academy prospect to come in and drop an absolute 0/10 in their first couple games. Generally they up their games on debut, going back to when we threw Galloway, Browning, Pennington or Garbutt in for a few games. Kenny wasn't a great footballer but he was alright at first

Maybe I'm horrificly misremembering but I can't remember the last academy prospect to come in and drop an absolute 0/10 in their first couple games. Generally they up their games on debut, going back to when we threw Galloway, Browning, Pennington or Garbutt in for a few games. Kenny wasn't a great footballer but he was alright at first

Not academy but weirdly wasn't branthwaites first game a horror show and he got red carded ?

I don’t think the manager is crap. When you take last season, plus the points deduction, he’s done a very good job and picked up some very good results.

Given the players we have this year a similar finish is probably as much as anyone would expect.

On that basis what is it that we want? Progress isn’t going to be visible over 1 or 2 games or even a full season. There needs to be a take over to allow for the sea change that everyone wants to sweep across the club. At the moment we’re in a constant state of damage limitation and SD is probably the perfect man for the job.

Just to be clear, I’m not comfortable with any of that.
I’m not sure we need to be doing damage limitation anymore and a better manager certainly would have progressed enough in 18 months that we wouldn’t be needing to. I might be harsh but I think the players are decent enough and Dyche is refusing to improve.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.