Everton Summer 2024 Transfer Thread

Have you been drinking mate?

You're all over the place here.

"So what"

Well, to remind you...

The point you responded to, here was my doubting whether a more "progressive" manager would get more out of out squad;

You've said we operate a higher wage cost (important, money isn't it?!), and the other teams play better.

To which I've said they are better teams and have been able to spend money;

You then contested this, evidently without realising the likes of Iraola spent £100m+ last season alone.

So to answer your question.

Everton's team is worse than all those clubs - it's why we're we're shorter odds than them all to get relegated again this season.

Other teams have been able to spend/invest. We've had to make more money than we spend for years now.

It's why the likes of Bielsa wouldn't touch us.
We've spent tens of millions on players in Dyche's reign and still pay good wages, comparatively to the clubs you think are miles better than us. Yes, we've had to spend money recouped from sales but we've spent money. If those players are still not good enough then the question is why not? You can put the blame on Thelwell and Moshiri , and Lord knows they deserve it, but Dyche signed off on those players and still can't get a tune out of them. The question I'm asking is why not? I'm not convinced that even if we had hundreds of millions to spend we'd see any improvement because everything in Sean Dyche's career points to this being exactly how he wants to set up and play. He has less choices than other managers, that I agree with, however he has choices, this is his squad now, it's built in his image. You love banging on about hipsters but you don't have to be a hipster to see that the style of football we play, the same style Dyche played at Burnley, is from a bygone era. Nobody plays that style, hipsters or otherwise. He'll probably keep us up, I acknowledge that, but the club will be worse in the long run for his tenure.

Would have thought O’Brien is the Branthwaite replacement even if Mr B see the season out

Agree mate.

But we're still firefighting - it was the same with Chermiti. Why spend money on someone who isn't ready when we're in a bad way?

It's where recruitment team is taking precedent over the manager.

If we stay up and Chermiti/OBrien are good players then they get the last laugh but for now, there's some head scratching why we have a few bob sat on the bench deemed "not ready" and have Young, Holgate, Keane, Doucoure and co getting minutes.

Chermiti and Beto were only signed because they were £0 upfront. How many strikers can you sign that allow literally, £0 upfront? That massively reduces the shortlist. It's indicative of the challenge we've had.

I don't think Dyche makes any shout/has major influence on any transfer that has a fee - as mad as that sounds. It's a problem IMO - it feels like we have a recruitment team making decisions without the manager. Things like Dyche wanted to keep Iwobi.

I don't think we have Dyche saying "lash nearly £20m at OBrien" an then pretty much saying he's not a better than Michael Keane. There's no way on gods earth Dyche is saying "spend £10m+ on this lad, 4th choice at Sporting, Chermiti" either.

I'm sure Bobble said OBrien was a recruitment team signing/not a Dyche one - and it has shown. Its part of why I was saying Keane would start yesterday.
And that's definitely part of why are recruitment is going wrong. Just because someone is available with a small up front payment, doesn't mean they should be signed. I feel like we signed the two strikers last summer for the sake of it, rather than just going all in on one better player.

It's the same this season. One minute we were trying to sign Gnonto. The next we hear is we've spent 17m on a centre half. I find it all pretty baffling to be honest.

Not just "much needed" but vital.

To waffle on "but dyche has brought in 8/9 players" is nonsense when its players like Young, Harrison and Danjuma :lol:
You make out like he had to sign Harrison and Young, that there were no other options, he chose to sign them. He plays then over alternative options repeatedly. He re-signed both of them again this summer. These are choices, it's not happening to him, he's doing it.

We've spent tens of millions on players in Dyche's reign and still pay good wages, comparatively to the clubs you think are miles better than us. Yes, we've had to spend money recouped from sales but we've spent money. If those players are still not good enough then the question is why not? You can put the blame on Thelwell and Moshiri , and Lord knows they deserve it, but Dyche signed off on those players and still can't get a tune out of them. The question I'm asking is why not? I'm not convinced that even if we had hundreds of millions to spend we'd see any improvement because everything in Sean Dyche's career points to this being exactly how he wants to set up and play. He has less choices than other managers, that I agree with, however he has choices, this is his squad now, it's built in his image. You love banging on about hipsters but you don't have to be a hipster to see that the style of football we play, the same style Dyche played at Burnley, is from a bygone era. Nobody plays that style, hipsters or otherwise. He'll probably keep us up, I acknowledge that, but the club will be worse in the long run for his tenure.

You were quick to say Dyche gets paid more than them managers, and we have a higher wage bill.

Money is clearly important.

So we have to acknowledge that we're the only team in the Prem that has made money on transfers for 3 summers in a row. We've had to sell players we've wanted to keep, and buy players for £0 upfront.

If you can't accept that's a mitigating factor for the manager, then we're never going to agree.

I also disagree that Dyche "cant get a tune out of them" - we earned 48 points last season, and finished 12th (without the deduction). That was as high as this team can realistically expect.

He improved us last season, significantly compared to the 2 seasons before that.

It's not pretty, but we're crap I'm afraid.

You make out like he had to sign Harrison and Young, that there were no other options, he chose to sign them. He plays then over alternative options repeatedly. He re-signed both of them again this summer. These are choices, it's not happening to him, he's doing it.

We have to have a squad.

We have no depth whatsoever.

We have no money to spend to build that squad. Sell to buy, as it has been for years now.

That means then signing some players for free - literally £0 - Harrison's clause allowed that. And Young was free.

Get ready for Mason Holgate at full back at the weekend, because we don't have any other full backs.

You were quick to say Dyche gets paid more than them managers, and we have a higher wage bill.

Money is clearly important.

So we have to acknowledge that we're the only team in the Prem that has made money on transfers for 3 summers in a row. We've had to sell players we've wanted to keep, and buy players for £0 upfront.

If you can't accept that's a mitigating factor for the manager, then we're never going to agree.

I also disagree that Dyche "cant get a tune out of them" - we earned 48 points last season, and finished 12th (without the deduction). That was as high as this team can realistically expect.

He improved us last season, significantly compared to the 2 seasons before that.

It's not pretty, but we're crap I'm afraid.
Of course money is important, I'm not saying Dyche or even Thelwell have an easy job, they obviously don't. But money being important cuts both ways, a lack of it clearly impacts the quality of the squad and therefore the outcomes on the pitch, I'm not saying we should be challenging for Europe or anything, but if you pay very large wages to your manager, including bonuses he earns more than almost all of our players, then I expect more than one tactic, no subs, one style of play low block minimal goals football. You talk about progressive managers, but a progressive style is a spectrum and nobody plays a less progressive style in the top flight than us. Nobody is asking us to play like Man City but it would be nice to see us holding possession, players wanting the ball, midfielders doing more than just battling to break up the opposition's play and creating opportunities in the final third. It isn't too much to ask to enjoy watching a football match.

Of course money is important, I'm not saying Dyche or even Thelwell have an easy job, they obviously don't. But money being important cuts both ways, a lack of it clearly impacts the quality of the squad and therefore the outcomes on the pitch, I'm not saying we should be challenging for Europe or anything, but if you pay very large wages to your manager, including bonuses he earns more than almost all of our players, then I expect more than one tactic, no subs, one style of play low block minimal goals football. You talk about progressive managers, but a progressive style is a spectrum and nobody plays a less progressive style in the top flight than us. Nobody is asking us to play like Man City but it would be nice to see us holding possession, players wanting the ball, midfielders doing more than just battling to break up the opposition's play and creating opportunities in the final third. It isn't too much to ask to enjoy watching a football match.

His bonus is around keeping us in the league.

If he does so again this season he's worth the £5m.

Sack him tomorrow. Who is lining up to come in to a team that's the biggest basketcase in the league? While being told sell to buy.

I said last season Dyche should have resigned on the final day. I think he'll come to regret not doing so.

We should definitely be looking to take someone from Chelsea. A loan for Mudryk or Chalobah (who can play at right back) would strengthen our starting 11 instantly. Both have prem experience so should mean Dyche will let them play before Christmas.
Hopefully as we get nearer the deadline a few more reasonable loan options will pop up. I can see a few sales our end too

We have to have a squad.

We have no depth whatsoever.

We have no money to spend to build that squad. Sell to buy, as it has been for years now.

That means then signing some players for free - literally £0 - Harrison's clause allowed that. And Young was free.

Get ready for Mason Holgate at full back at the weekend, because we don't have any other full backs.
One of the reasons we have no fullbacks is because we re-signed two old and unreliable (for completely different reasons) RBs. Couple that with a younger full back who is on the outs with the manager for reasons that clearly aren't 100% football related and we couldn't justify signing a fourth RB. Again, that's a choice, as a club we decided that the money we did have to spend would be spent on other areas of the pitch. The idea that Sean Dyche had no agency in that decision making process seems fanciful.

Those two players are cheap, but they're not free, Harrison is quoted by some sources as being on as much as £90k a week. Even if he's on £70k a week that's over £3.5m a year. I've no idea how much Coleman and Young are on but I'd be shocked if it was less than £50k a week each, so that's another £5m. Did we really need both Coleman and Young on new contracts when Coleman is struggling to play for a lot of the season? Choices.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back