Everton Summer 2024 Transfer Thread

We've spent tens of millions on players in Dyche's reign and still pay good wages, comparatively to the clubs you think are miles better than us. Yes, we've had to spend money recouped from sales but we've spent money. If those players are still not good enough then the question is why not? You can put the blame on Thelwell and Moshiri , and Lord knows they deserve it, but Dyche signed off on those players and still can't get a tune out of them. The question I'm asking is why not? I'm not convinced that even if we had hundreds of millions to spend we'd see any improvement because everything in Sean Dyche's career points to this being exactly how he wants to set up and play. He has less choices than other managers, that I agree with, however he has choices, this is his squad now, it's built in his image. You love banging on about hipsters but you don't have to be a hipster to see that the style of football we play, the same style Dyche played at Burnley, is from a bygone era. Nobody plays that style, hipsters or otherwise. He'll probably keep us up, I acknowledge that, but the club will be worse in the long run for his tenure.
Tend to agree he manages down rather than trying to evolve a team. He can do a job and in our mess i appreciate it in some ways cutting our cloth making us hard to beat, but by god is it inflexible(relying mostly on his favourites regardless of form) and dreadful to watch and doesn't build or develop much for the future. Despite what has been said about our obvious weaknesses he doesn't get the most out of the team attacking wise because that involves coaching and more than one simple drop deep launch it tactic that went out in 1997.

His bonus is around keeping us in the league.

If he does so again this season he's worth the £5m.

Sack him tomorrow. Who is lining up to come in to a team that's the biggest basketcase in the league? While being told sell to buy.

I said last season Dyche should have resigned on the final day. I think he'll come to regret not doing so.
Nobody will pay him his current wage. He'll never regret coming to this club. It's the biggest salary, and biggest club, he'll ever have.

One of the reasons we have no fullbacks is because we re-signed two old and unreliable (for completely different reasons) RBs. Couple that with a younger full back who is on the outs with the manager for reasons that clearly aren't 100% football related and we couldn't justify signing a fourth RB. Again, that's a choice, as a club we decided that the money we did have to spend would be spent on other areas of the pitch. The idea that Sean Dyche had no agency in that decision making process seems fanciful.

Those two players are cheap, but they're not free, Harrison is quoted by some sources as being on as much as £90k a week. Even if he's on £70k a week that's over £3.5m a year. I've no idea how much Coleman and Young are on but I'd be shocked if it was less than £50k a week each, so that's another £5m. Did we really need both Coleman and Young on new contracts when Coleman is struggling to play for a lot of the season? Choices.
One was ok as I do believe you need some experience and leadership but I agree we desperately needed a new full back or two.

One of the reasons we have no fullbacks is because we re-signed two old and unreliable (for completely different reasons) RBs. Couple that with a younger full back who is on the outs with the manager for reasons that clearly aren't 100% football related and we couldn't justify signing a fourth RB. Again, that's a choice, as a club we decided that the money we did have to spend would be spent on other areas of the pitch. The idea that Sean Dyche had no agency in that decision making process seems fanciful.

Those two players are cheap, but they're not free, Harrison is quoted by some sources as being on as much as £90k a week. Even if he's on £70k a week that's over £3.5m a year. I've no idea how much Coleman and Young are on but I'd be shocked if it was less than £50k a week each, so that's another £5m. Did we really need both Coleman and Young on new contracts when Coleman is struggling to play for a lot of the season? Choices.

I don't we need to remember/understand that the club couldnt spend any transfer fees.

Young and Harrison is the symptom. Not the cause.

Likewise with Chermiti and Beto. If either club wanted a tenner upfront then they don't sign.

Sure, frees cost wages but crucially for Everton - no upfront fee.

Transfers in under Dyche

Screenshot_20240818_181231_Chrome.webp

Transfers out under Dyche

Screenshot_20240818_181324_Chrome.webp

We'll never know - but I don't think Dyches opinion counts a great deal for all our transfers. He's on record as saying he wanted to keep Iwobi etc.

I think it's a problem.

I don't we need to remember/understand that the club couldnt spend any transfer fees.

Likewise with Chermiti and Beto. If either club wanted a tenner upfront then they don't sign.

Transfers in under Dyche

View attachment 269468

View attachment 269469

We'll never know - but I don't think Dyches opinion counts a great deal for all our transfers. He's on record as saying he wanted to keep Iwobi etc.

I think it's a problem.
I doubt Iwobi wanted to stay.

Transfers in under Dyche

View attachment 269468

View attachment 269469

I think it's a problem.
Maybe, it's the perennial argument in this thread and others - "who signed player X"? Is it the DoF or the manager? Some posters are utterly convinced it's one way, other posters have complete conviction that the other is true. Who knows?
Something I do think, largely based on what's gone on this window, is that Thelwell and Dyche have very different views on how to develop the squad. I think that boils down to Dyche probably not being Thelwell's choice of manager and is emblematic of the structural problems at the club. That, I concede, is not Dyche's fault, it is all on that absolute moron Moshiri who doesn't seem to understand what a DoF is supposed to be.

Maybe, it's the perennial argument in this thread and others - "who signed player X"? Is it the DoF or the manager? Some posters are utterly convinced it's one way, other posters have complete conviction that the other is true. Who knows?
Something I do think, largely based on what's gone on this window, is that Thelwell and Dyche have very different views on how to develop the squad. I think that boils down to Dyche probably not being Thelwell's choice of manager and is emblematic of the structural problems at the club. That, I concede, is not Dyche's fault, it is all on that absolute moron Moshiri who doesn't seem to understand what a DoF is supposed to be.

We'll never know.

But do you think Dyche knew who Chermiti was? Do you think Dyche wanted Iroegbunam and it was a happy coincidence of a FFP swindle? Is Dyche calling for us to sign Danjuma when we wanted him before he was manager? Is Dyche saying lash nearly £20m at Textors best mate O'Brien to then put him on the bench behind Keane? Do we think Dyche wants Gnonto even though we've been trying to sign him since long before him?

To me, reading between the lines - I think Dyche is a passenger on recruitment.

We'll never know.

But do you think Dyche knew who Chermiti was? Do you think Dyche wanted Iroegbunam and it was a happy coincidence of a FFP swindle? Is Dyche calling for us to sign Danjuma when we wanted him before he was manager? Is Dyche saying lash nearly £20m at Textors best mate O'Brien to then put him on the bench behind Keane? Do we think Dyche wants Gnonto even though we've been trying to sign him since long before him?

To me, reading between the lines - I think Dyche is a passenger on recruitment.
This says to me that if the DOF and the manager aren’t on the same page, something has got to give. Either the manager or the DOF needs to change. It won’t for obvious reasons, but excluding a situation like Carlo or a top manager coming in, there should be synergy between the two. The DOF should get HIS coach.

Yet we're the ones hit with 2 seperate points deductions and potentially a 3rd.

Leagues corrupt, not the clubs fault we've had to sell our best players every summer and have little means to replace them.
Obscene isn't it they can have four teams worth of players and srll hotels to themselves yet they get no sanction. They havent even been punished for dodgy dealings over the Abromovic years either

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back