Everton Summer 2024 Transfer Thread

Is it not also the case that, around this time of year, players seeking a move get minor, difficult to diagnose knocks and strains, often to avoid picking up real injuries in training or matches that might scupper their chances of a move?

Might not be the case with any of ours but it does happen where players refuse to train / cry it in so they don’t mess things up as deadline day approaches.

You would certainly think given the number of injuries and him complaining of lack of numbers it might be an idea if he sits down with the clubs sports science staff and looks at the pre season routine and if improvements/changes can be made.

TBF from last season from September up to December the only injury to a serious first team player was Doucoure missing about six weeks. Everyone else was available and DCL featured in over 30 games which no one would've thought possible 12 months ago.

I think currently it's just one of those things. Not sure when Branthwaite picked up his injury, same for Chermiti, Garner one is only short term and that will just happen throughout the season to players, Young suspended, Coleman ancient.

Only thing I'd say is if you fill your squad with 29-30 + year olds they will take longer to recover if there's games every 3-4 days so will need to be more carefully managed than younger players.

TBF from last season from September up to December the only injury to a serious first team player was Doucoure missing about six weeks. Everyone else was available and DCL featured in over 30 games which no one would've thought possible 12 months ago.

I think currently it's just one of those things. Not sure when Branthwaite picked up his injury, same for Chermiti, Garner one is only short term and that will just happen throughout the season to players, Young suspended, Coleman ancient.

Only thing I'd say is if you fill your squad with 29-30 + year olds they will take longer to recover if there's games every 3-4 days so will need to be more carefully managed than younger players.
Players were knackered by Christmas hence the near 4 month winless run, much of the way we play involves a lot of wasted running from players, its not what would be seen as being an efficient system in terms of energy usage and how players are physically used and positioned within it. Something has clearly gone wrong this pre season as we have 7 injured and also Young out (suspended) so 8 in total, only Brighton have more out than us. I just wonder we did an awful lot of fitness based work in pre season then right at the end Dyche said he was switching it up to more tactical stuff whereas I remember listening to the Spurs guy and he was talking everyday in preseason isn't just about fitness, its about ideas and plans and how you want to play in the coming season ie mixing it up, others said similar. I wonder did we go a bit fitness heavy which is very much Dyche's thing.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back