Everton Summer 2024 Transfer Thread

I seem to run against much of the sentiment on this, but I think the O’Brien signing was good business. Godfrey was gone, Holgate is awful and Keane not much better. Plus we needed protection against a Branthwaite departure and injuries. He should have started today over Keane. Did well for Lyon plus 4 goals in 27. The problem is Dyche not playing him. A problem is signing too many #10s and no winger with pace.

It’s quite important to note though.. how is someone a good signing if the manager won’t play him?

100%

The decision to spend a significant fee on a 4th choice centre back was absurd.

If we don't get more players in, this summer is a 2/10 at best for recruitment. A complete and utter failure to recognise the key priorities.
Failing to replace Onana was a poor choice imo. The club thought signing players (Lindstrom & Ndiaye) who can play in multiple positions would be suffice if they pushed Docuoure back and have iroegbunam as cover.

We need a midfielder who can play 6. We have Tim who is more of a 8 and Gana who likes to press himself. Garner is injured and Doucoure is on the decline. That and some pace on the wing.

The last thing we need is a '6'.

Onana is a 6 and he was used almost exclusively in a weird CM role.

We've not used a real 6 in a long, long time.

I know it might be simplistic but why did we spend our dough on people who don't play?
Still only 2 games in, so could be a case that new signings start on Tuesday and hopefully 1-2 make a claim for next Saturday. Dyche claim of no prem experience is a ridiculous excuse for me. I get the impression that Kevin is looking to the future without dyche, hence some of the signings. There seems to be some sort of disconnect between DOF and the manager.

Would you guys take Anthony Martial on a free? Injury prone, but clinical finisher. Massive risk but if he could stay fit for even 75% of the season he could still do a job. Still only 28yo as well. Depay on a free too. Both would prob look for ridiculous wages though.

I’d take anyone at that level and appreciate what you’re saying mate. Never happening though is it?

Imagine those two rocking into a specially arranged gaffers day to get them up to speed… so they can come on in the 86th minute to replace Jack and Dwight.

We are in a tough spot, we need to raise funds and utilise the last 2 loan spots.

Players we need to be moving on to raise funds and reduce the wage bill are players like Holgate, Keane, Calvert-Lewin, Maupay and I`d move Young (Release), Doucoure and Beto on.

Unfortunately Holgate, Keane, Calvert-Lewin and Maupay are in the last year of their contract so will not hold much value.

So that brings us back to the only real sellable asset in Branthwaite, but do you trust Dyche and Thelwell to spend that well? IMO we still need a RB, a LB, a CB or 2 if we sell Branthwaite and Keane, 2 Central Midfielders, a winger (With Pace) and a Striker. All that would be impossible with this club in the time frame left.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back