Everton Summer 2024 Transfer Thread

Lindstrom and Ndiaye? If we didn't have O'Brien now we'd be even weaker than we already are at CB

I wouldn't have committed what limited funds we have to O Brien mate - it wasn't a gaping priority - we have seen in the last two games how easy we are to defend against we needed more and needed to be more balanced - a pacy winger as an outlet was a key priority for me.

We started by going for Philly then Gnonto and came home with O Brein.

The two lads are 10's or inside forwards at a push, if they come on for either of our current wide players we get very narrow and we don't have the full back for width.

At the very least we needed a pacy right winger, we didnt do that. We haven't changed the dynamic in the team.

At the very least we needed a couple of pacy full backs so the two wide forwards can come inside.

Ultimately you have to hope that Dixon matures this season and is given now a genuine run in the side. Get Patterson fit and bin off young and Coleman.

At least it would fix one side of fullback in terms of pace.

Mykolenko id like to see with anyone other than McNeil in front of him for at least 5-6 games, see if he actually can provide something on the left besides essentially playing like a third CB in tens if what he's asked to do.

We dont really know, but have to assume that i guess mate.

Still say it was a bad decision, seen some very good wingers who could have come and impacted go for whatever very little cash was on the table.
I think we did need a CB but i agree we should have prioritised any funds for that winger first. If we are talking O'Brien or Gnonto though one was five million down-payment and one was fifteen that's the difference. My biggest question is why we moved on from Gnonto and didn't go and get anyone else there's a snobbery with our recruitment at times you can get wingers with pace from around the continent except we still go over and over for a player who we can't afford because presumably he has a name and has played games in the PL. Then when we can't get him we just say oh well couldn't do that despite having identified a desperate need for pace in forward positions. Lindstrom is a different profile.

At the very least we needed a pacy right winger, we didnt do that. We haven't changed the dynamic in the team.

At the very least we needed a couple of pacy full backs so the two wide forwards can come inside.
What we need and what the manager would use are entirely separate things though. We needed a centre half with Branthwaites recovery timeline unclear, we got one and he's still picking Keane. We could've signed 11 new players this summer and there's no doubt in my mind that the Brighton team would've still been the same

Who protects the back four then?

The back 8 more like...

You are weirdly obsessed with this, but did you watch Villa? Onana played in a midfield 2 alongside Tielemans - much the same as he played alongside Gana.
He looked decent, made some good runs forward and obviously had better players around him.
His position was the same though.

Really, so watching and seeing where a player is positioned and (correctly) stating that hes out of position is an "obsession" ?

I'd call it talking football.

Tielemans did more work than him just like Gana and Garner did more alongside him.

On his debut Villa played a box midfield. He was deep next to Tielemans.

We have never played a box midfield since Onana joined. We have also never sat him deep with another midfielder.

So, my point was that we dont use a 6....just two central midfielders with them being used incorrectly e.g typically last two seasons Gana deeper than Onana and wandering out of position chasing the ball.

No issue with having 2 CMs as long as we have the players to fit the system which seem to be Garner and Iroegbunam.

Armstrong seems to be a future 6 ?

I wouldn't have committed what limited funds we have to O Brien mate - it wasn't a gaping priority - we have seen in the last two games how easy we are to defend against we needed more and needed to be more balanced - a pacy winger as an outlet was a key priority for me.

We started by going for Philly then Gnonto and came home with O Brein.

The two lads are 10's or inside forwards at a push, if they come on for either of our current wide players we get very narrow and we don't have the full back for width.
I don't know mate, we could've gone for a pacy winger over Ndiaye or Lindstrom. Long term we need CB cover for Tarkowski and Branthwaite otherwise it's too much Michael Keane which is disastrous. I think it's a little bit a case of pulling the duvet up to cover the head which leaves the feet uncovered. We don't seem to have enough finance to cover every area of the team that needs strengthening

I’d take anyone at that level and appreciate what you’re saying mate. Never happening though is it?

Imagine those two rocking into a specially arranged gaffers day to get them up to speed… so they can come on in the 86th minute to replace Jack and Dwight.
Yeah, Martial trying to get through a Gaffers Day would probably end up in him crumbling like a Digestive Biscuit.

I don't know mate, we could've gone for a pacy winger over Ndiaye or Lindstrom. Long term we need CB cover for Tarkowski and Branthwaite otherwise it's too much Michael Keane which is disastrous. I think it's a little bit a case of pulling the duvet up to cover the head which leaves the feet uncovered. We don't seem to have enough finance to cover every area of the team that needs strengthening

Keane is starting anyway mate.

You can look at any position mate and say the replacement is disastrous mate.

There has to measure of sucking up in my opinion even if that leads us to Keane or Holgate. We had one of the top defensive records in the league last season.

We had the second worst goals scored in the league last season, our play was largely telegraphed and one dimensional due to the limits of our attacking players - we needed to add variance and we needed to add more.

I wonder how many games O Brien actually plays this season, 10-15, maybe less. (If Branthwaite stays).

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back