Everton Summer 2024 Transfer Thread

We'd be stupid to not be proactively trying to bring him in.

There's not many Premier League quality midfielders who could be available on loan.
Unlike Dele he didn't go off the boil he just didn't play. Going to West Ham halfway through a season when he was never going to be fit enough and still seen as an international level player was a 50 - 50 shot.

If SD can do anything it will be to get him fit enough to play and without being weighed down by expectation after the spell at WH, it could be a very good bit of business for us.

We need to do smart business and this is a relatively inexpensive punt.

Phillips is clearly a good player if we can get him back to his best its a no brainer it just depends why they think he hasn't been at that level I suppose if there are underlying problems with him its one to avoid but if they think its just rustiness from not playing at City he could be a good one for us.

I think Bielsa, Guardiola, Moyes & Dyche know a player when they see one.

Yorkshiremen are often simple creatures. At Leeds United Philips had a purpose - he played regularly at a ground with a good working class atmosphere who appreciated his efforts.

He goes to Manchester City and that fire in his loins is quickly extinguished by no time on the pitch and a library Etihad atmosphere. He moves to West Ham United, a bowl stadium full of prawn sandwich eating tourists and he's "hammered" for being miles off the pace.

Give the boy a full pre season under a demanding manager like Dyche, playing in a stadium that can fire him up and you have the receipe for a great revival. Everything that we hoped could have been acheived with Dele Ali.

If things do not work out, its only a loan deal.

Well yeah, Guardiola started him in about 3 games over 2 years and Moyes dropped him after about 2 games.

Is he PL quality after 20 odd pl appearances in 3 years? it's a risky signing.

Definitely.

There's a reason he played every single minute for England on the way to the final - and why Man City signed him.

He just wasn't a good fit for Man City, and he well off match fitness for West Ham in Jan.

If he's still got appetite to play, which at 28 he should have in spades - then a good pre-season and we have a £40m+ player on our hands.

Also - a reminder we're on the bones of our arse, so much so we're having to renew Ashley Young and pray Leeds don't get promoted for Harrison.

Definitely.

There's a reason he played every single minute for England on the way to the final - and why Man City signed him.

He just wasn't a good fit for Man City, and he well off match fitness for West Ham in Jan.

If he's still got appetite to play, which at 28 he should have in spades - then a good pre-season and we have a £40m+ player on our hands.

Also - a reminder we're on the bones of our arse, so much so we're having to renew Ashley Young and pray Leeds don't get promoted for Harrison.
Are you suggesting we ARENT lining up a triple swoop for 3 Leeds players?

Along with Rice he was the cornerstone of the last Euros for England.

He's lost his way a bit, but this would be a great signing for us if it comes off.

Ild love to see Garner find a partner in MF and start influence games the way I think he can. He shows glimpses of it but nowhere near enough. Big season for him coming up and having Phillips around him would be a good foil.
Agree, there is a player in there

Can't blame him for making the move to City, what player wouldn't? But for whatever reason it hasn't worked out and he's lost his way a bit.

Everton would be a great opportunity for him. Regular games and able to influence what's going on.

It's all about the cost really, but this seems a sensible move

How much did they pay for Wharton though? We can’t afford him at the moment (or a player of that profile) unless we sell Onana. We basically bough that profile of player in Garner a couple of years back and were in an even worse position financially now. There’s also a question of whether a player like Wharton would even want to join us any more, we’re a lot less stable than Palace.

I'm using Wharton as an example of PL experience meaning zilch.

He was a good player, hasn't been that player since Bielsa
Know a few City fans who know their stuff, apparently he arrived carrying a shoulder injury from international football, couldn't really do a proper work up or mini preseason and always was catching his tail from there, when he got fit, he couldn't get a game and lost match fitness, when he got a chance he couldn't get a rhythm and Pep never picked him as a result. He looked so unsharp and rusty at WHU. Dude needs a proper preseason and feeling like he belongs.

To be fair its a tough gig trying to get a game ahead of Rodri, Silva and KDB.

I think Bielsa, Guardiola, Moyes & Dyche know a player when they see one.

Yorkshiremen are often simple creatures. At Leeds United Philips had a purpose - he played regularly at a ground with a good working class atmosphere who appreciated his efforts.

He goes to Manchester City and that fire in his loins is quickly extinguished by no time on the pitch and a library Etihad atmosphere. He moves to West Ham United, a bowl stadium full of prawn sandwich eating tourists and he's "hammered" for being miles off the pace.

Give the boy a full pre season under a demanding manager like Dyche, playing in a stadium that can fire him up and you have the receipe for a great revival. Everything that we hoped could have been acheived with Dele Ali.

If things do not work out, its only a loan deal.

Loan deals cost money. He's been rubbish since he left Leeds, and even in his final season at Leeds he was getting a lot of flack too.

Definitely.

I just think it's a risk myself, i'm also not sure he fits our style much

Definitely.

I don't think that's the right way to look at his City and West Ham moves. He looked a poor player at both, regardless of fitness and 'fit'. He, independently, was bad. Also, he was to blame partially for fitness issues.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back