Everton Summer 2024 Transfer Thread

Loan deals cost money. He's been rubbish since he left Leeds, and even in his final season at Leeds he was getting a lot of flack too.
It's a no from me.

There's always a hundred and one excuses for players dropping off, but for me he didn't ever seem to want to do the basics for WHU. Felt like he believed the hype and thought he could stroll around the pitch being the best player at the club on name alone.

If we can afford to spend 20 mil on a midfielder then i'm happy to go for the Wharton approach but if not then its a totally irrelevant point you're making.

Not really. You can get in a player from Europe or another club that doesn't have PL experience but comes in on loan or a low fee. No PL experience, but better option than Phillips, a player who has PL experience but has been absolutely guff for three years.

I don't think that's the right way to look at his City and West Ham moves. He looked a poor player at both, regardless of fitness and 'fit'. He, independently, was bad. Also, he was to blame partially for fitness issues.

He barely had a kick for Man City mate.

Not being good enough for Man City is no shame.

I wouldn't have wanted him in January - needs a pre-season and confidence.

Not really. You can get in a player from Europe or another club that doesn't have PL experience but comes in on loan or a low fee. No PL experience, but better option than Phillips, a player who has PL experience but has been absolutely guff for three years.
Well yes the Wharton bit is irrelevant you might as well use Mbappe as the example for the relevance it has. Wharton was a sought after player with a 20 mil price tag saying he did well so it proves premier league experience doesn't mean anything is stupid. I'm not saying Phillips is the best player we could ever possibly get but comparing him to Wharton is pointless.

But why would they want to come to Everton? Literally if you’re plying your trade in a decent European league and you have anything about you as a player why would you want to move to a team in England battling relegation on loan?

There’s not been many bottom half teams in the prem I can think of who have recently loaned an up and coming player from Europe that the big guys had missed and he’s gone on to do well in the prem.

He also has a pretty extensive injury record that is disconcerting beyond his recent unfit form

Yeah i think thats a fair point mate and worthy of consideration.

Id assert what i said earlier though, in our position anyone we bring in will be a fixer upper and carry a measure of risk, its how you calculate that risk.

Well yes the Wharton bit is irrelevant you might as well use Mbappe as the example for the relevance it has. Wharton was a sought after player with a 20 mil price tag saying he did well so it proves premier league experience doesn't mean anything is stupid. I'm not saying Phillips is the best player we could ever possibly get but comparing him to Wharton is pointless.

Okay, I'll use Mbappe next time. You're right, I can use a lot of players, if you're good enough, you're good enough. PL experience is a pretty nonsense metric used to judge players.
But why would they want to come to Everton? Literally if you’re plying your trade in a decent European league and you have anything about you as a player why would you want to move to a team in England battling relegation on loan?

There’s not been many bottom half teams in the prem I can think of who have recently loaned an up and coming player from Europe that the big guys had missed and he’s gone on to do well in the prem.

Since when is Phillips an up and coming player? The PL is the biggest league in the world with the most eyes on it, players want to play in it. Danjuma was playing in the CL quarter final the season before he was about to join us on loan (then signing for Tottenham) and still joined us despite us avoiding relegation by the skin of our teeth. They'd come.

It's a no from me.

There's always a hundred and one excuses for players dropping off, but for me he didn't ever seem to want to do the basics for WHU. Felt like he believed the hype and thought he could stroll around the pitch being the best player at the club on name alone.

It happens.

Devoid of confidence - likely from having not had a kick for 2 years. Fitness/confidence go hand in hand.

Apparently he started just 6 league games in 2 years for Man City. There's a reason Cole Palmer left them - to play.

They're not machines.

I think people really need to adjust their expectations this summer on what we will spend.

We currently have 4 centre midfielders. Onana, Gana, Garner and Doucoure.

We currently have 1 winger. McNeil.

We need to sell to be compliant, and we haven't got a pot to piss in.

Okay, I'll use Mbappe next time. You're right, I can use a lot of players, if you're good enough, you're good enough. PL experience is a pretty nonsense metric used to judge players.

Since when is Phillips an up and coming player? The PL is the biggest league in the world with the most eyes on it, players want to play in it. Danjuma was playing in the CL quarter final the season before he was about to join us on loan (then signing for Tottenham) and still joined us despite us avoiding relegation by the skin of our teeth. They'd come.
Its not a metric though its just a statement. Its saying the chances of someone failing badly are slim because they have proven their ability to play in the league - it obviously doesn't mean they're a better footballer than anyone who hasn't played in the league that would make no sense.

dyche loves an english veteran big name player so if he doesn't come to us revitalized and continues to play like he did west ham, dyche will play him every game regardless of his quality on the pitch lol

He barely had a kick for Man City mate.

Not being good enough for Man City is no shame.

I wouldn't have wanted him in January - needs a pre-season and confidence.

I don't disagree that not being good enough for City is no shame but it wasn't just about not being good enough for City. He looked bad everytime he played for City and West Ham. He also didn't look as good in his second PL season for Leeds when Bielsa had left.

I get that we are cash strapped and will need to be bargain hunting but Phillips represents a lot of what we should be avoiding as a club and has put us in perilous positions with finances. Washed up players on their way down and in need of a lot of work to get back up. Perhaps I'm wrong but I really don't have the same doom and gloom as everyone else regarding the 'nobody will join us' stance.
Its not a metric though its just a statement. Its saying the chances of someone failing badly are slim because they have proven their ability to play in the league - it obviously doesn't mean they're a better footballer than anyone who hasn't played in the league that would make no sense.

You have just described a metric.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back