Everton Summer 2024 Transfer Thread

I get that in terms of money but I really don't think that Phillips will be a cut price deal. City won't just let him go for nothing. With the charges looming over them and the fee they spent for him, they'll be trying to recoup as much as they can.

If that's the case, then he doesn't come because we can't afford him.

We currently can't spend money.

We have a threadbare squad.

We have to sell Pickford, Onana, Branthwaite or Calvert-Lewin just to avoid another FFP charge by the end of June.

We have chaos at ownership level, and an interim board.

We don't have many options.

In my opinion, unless there's a change in ownership in the coming weeks - we won't pay money for anyone until we sell someone - and we'll sell for more than we spend this summer.

I think with the right manager an arm around him and if we get Harrison too, it may work!

his confidence is shot, surely still a player in there though?
I dont think we're in a position to put the arm around a potentially pivotal signing when we require one who hits the ground running and pushes us forward from the impetus of the great end of season we had. Hes 28....should be in his prime now and will require sizeable bucks. God knows who does what with what at our place now. I only hope whoever p'eed the money up the wall with the past fades we signed on megabucks has learned sense.

If we are in for Phillips it’s because due diligence has been done. Moyes will have been consulted and he’d tell it like it is, he’d not be fluffing things up. If it’s green lighted then he needs to better than the outgoing Gomes, which is not a high bar. Wages basically swapped. Onana will be replaced too imo, hence us looking at Dendonker.. again similar wages I suspect. Personally I’d rather us go for Sander Berge, younger (26), taller (1m 95) and from what I saw of him at Goodson far better and technical on the ball than Dendoncker. Personally think these deals would leave us on a par with where we are now (lower/mid table) and also allow us to appease FFP, maybe even enough left over for a touch of speed/quality in the final third. Pragmatism will be the key word (and let’s be honest) a steady season taking us stress free to Bramley Moore would be heaven after the last few years!

Demarai Gray is neither English, a veteran, or a big name player.

In the context of this Everton team and the point the original poster was trying to make, he is.

People keep pushing this agenda that Dyche will always select old experienced English players even if they’re not in form when evidence suggests otherwise.

He played Branthwaite all season over Keane and Godfrey. He also allowed Holgate and Coady out the door rather than pushing to keep them in the 11.

He’s played Mykolenko numerous times over Godfrey and Young

He’s played both Onana and Garner ahead of Gueye when they’ve been in better form.

He made no effort to keep Demarai Gray and played a younger player in McNeil ahead of him.

Dyche has his favourites no doubt but I’d wager it’s based on fitness, ability to follow tactical instructions, and attitude, rather than any form of nationality, age, or reputation.

If that's the case, then he doesn't come because we can't afford him.

We currently can't spend money.

We have a threadbare squad.

We have to sell Pickford, Onana, Branthwaite or Calvert-Lewin just to avoid another FFP charge by the end of June.

We have chaos at ownership level, and an interim board.

We don't have many options.

In my opinion, unless there's a change in ownership in the coming weeks - we won't pay money for anyone until we sell someone - and we'll sell for more than we spend this summer.
I think this was the point I was trying (badly) to make earlier. I've always rated Philips and would be happy to take a punt. The timing of it doesn't feel like it would be a cheap deal though.

Unless, we've sold Onana and are quickly getting his replacement in.

To be honest this it the best I have felt about everton in like 3 years. 777 are not going to buy us, Textor isn’t very rich but looks like a decent owner, slowly starting to attract big name players, a new amazing stadium beeing built and moshiri leaving. Of course there wre things we can’t ignore but things are looking a bit better
Not to put a damper on your enthusiasm, as there are a few nuggets there for optimism, but rough waters are still ahead. The second independent commission deferred the stadium interest issue, so another deduction could be incoming for that, plus another PSR window closes 30 June and if we do not sell enough players to offset losses, we could see yet another points deduction.

Potential administration looms, which would carry a points deduction, with interest payments mounting and borrowing just to pay operational costs, wages, etc. We will scramble to sell players before 30 June, likely getting less of a fee than if we had sold later in the window (see Richarlison, Nottingham Forest). Who knows what ownership group will step up and how we'll get the money to pay month to month bills. The approval process for some new ownership group will likely take some time once the 777 partners window closes on 31 May. If it's Textor, he has to sell CP before he can buy Everton, so that would be a longer timeline, perhaps MSP steps in, who really knows.

We will be shopping in the bargain bin yet again, loans, free transfers, for players that did not work out at other clubs, or at the very least are unproven in the PL. Onana will be gone, maybe DCL, with any luck we will keep Branthwaite.

Otherwise, I share your optimism. Thankfully no 777 at least. Hopefully we won't be watching QPR at Bramley Moore Dock in 2025 unless it's a Cup game I suppose. UTFT!

Not to put a damper on your enthusiasm, as there are a few nuggets there for optimism, but rough waters are still ahead. The second independent commission deferred the stadium interest issue, so another deduction could be incoming for that, plus another PSR window closes 30 June and if we do not sell enough players to offset losses, we could see yet another points deduction.

Potential administration looms, which would carry a points deduction, with interest payments mounting and borrowing just to pay operational costs, wages, etc. We will scramble to sell players before 30 June, likely getting less of a fee than if we had sold later in the window (see Richarlison, Nottingham Forest). Who knows what ownership group will step up and how we'll get the money to pay month to month bills. The approval process for some new ownership group will likely take some time once the 777 partners window closes on 31 May. If it's Textor, he has to sell CP before he can buy Everton, so that would be a longer timeline, perhaps MSP steps in, who really knows.

We will be shopping in the bargain bin yet again, loans, free transfers, for players that did not work out at other clubs, or at the very least are unproven in the PL. Onana will be gone, maybe DCL, with any luck we will keep Branthwaite.

Otherwise, I share your optimism. Thankfully no 777 at least. Hopefully we won't be watching QPR at Bramley Moore Dock in 2025 unless it's a Cup game I suppose. UTFT!
I'm still unclear on how much interest payments and using loans to pay the wages impacts PSR. Are we just so far over that anything other than selling multiple players will leave us with deductions anyway or can some of those payments be written off in the calculations?

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back