Everton Summer 2024 Transfer Thread

if we get phillips on loan no way are we paying his wages in full

we must be offering like 50% of his wages

That's the problem, in danger of swapping Deli on 100k weekly to Kalvin on 150k weekly.

Unlike ourselves City have a good record of playing hardball with transfers and loans. They usually have more than one option in these situations, If in some world they were willing/forced to absorb some of their wages I suspect there's a few EPL sides considering taking a punt on Phillips.

The key is likely what the bloke himself wants to do.

That's the problem, in danger of swapping Deli on 100k weekly to Kalvin on 150k weekly.

Unlike ourselves City have a good record of playing hardball with transfers and loans. They usually have more than one option in these situations, If in some world they were willing/forced to absorb some of their wages I suspect there's a few EPL sides considering taking a punt on Phillips.

The key is likely what the bloke himself wants to do.
This is a good point. West Ham paid his full salary, and there's no reason to think they would be more magnanimous with us.

Not to put a damper on your enthusiasm, as there are a few nuggets there for optimism, but rough waters are still ahead. The second independent commission deferred the stadium interest issue, so another deduction could be incoming for that, plus another PSR window closes 30 June and if we do not sell enough players to offset losses, we could see yet another points deduction.

Potential administration looms, which would carry a points deduction, with interest payments mounting and borrowing just to pay operational costs, wages, etc. We will scramble to sell players before 30 June, likely getting less of a fee than if we had sold later in the window (see Richarlison, Nottingham Forest). Who knows what ownership group will step up and how we'll get the money to pay month to month bills. The approval process for some new ownership group will likely take some time once the 777 partners window closes on 31 May. If it's Textor, he has to sell CP before he can buy Everton, so that would be a longer timeline, perhaps MSP steps in, who really knows.

We will be shopping in the bargain bin yet again, loans, free transfers, for players that did not work out at other clubs, or at the very least are unproven in the PL. Onana will be gone, maybe DCL, with any luck we will keep Branthwaite.

Otherwise, I share your optimism. Thankfully no 777 at least. Hopefully we won't be watching QPR at Bramley Moore Dock in 2025 unless it's a Cup game I suppose. UTFT!
Well said. At the emd of the day as long as we win games we will be safe. Let’s hope everything next season goes to plan

These stories are ridiculous. Phillips and Harrison on loan, fair enough they make a lot of sense. But players worth that much money are just fantasy land and I don't understand how they can publish these stories alongside those on how much debt we're in

You get creative I’d say, Phillips on loan, Onana sold for what 55 million, be PSR compliant and buy after June the 30th, agree to pay in 25/26 when you have new stadium wonga.

Not saying any of that will happen, but the above isn’t against the rules either.

I was thinking more like ashley young who he plays despite his countless woeful appearances, and he still tries to get Keane on when he can and he played him despite Mina being fit the last season he was here until the final run of games where mina made the difference
Why are people still just repeating this total crap about Keane? He hardly played all season its just not true at all to say he gets him on when he can its either a deliberate lie or people just don't actually follow us at all and just repeat what they saw someone else say.

If we are in for Phillips it’s because due diligence has been done. Moyes will have been consulted and he’d tell it like it is, he’d not be fluffing things up. If it’s green lighted then he needs to better than the outgoing Gomes, which is not a high bar. Wages basically swapped. Onana will be replaced too imo, hence us looking at Dendonker.. again similar wages I suspect. Personally I’d rather us go for Sander Berge, younger (26), taller (1m 95) and from what I saw of him at Goodson far better and technical on the ball than Dendoncker. Personally think these deals would leave us on a par with where we are now (lower/mid table) and also allow us to appease FFP, maybe even enough left over for a touch of speed/quality in the final third. Pragmatism will be the key word (and let’s be honest) a steady season taking us stress free to Bramley Moore would be heaven after the last few years!
Hamer is better than Berge but size is a issue there considering he's only about 4 foot.

Why are people still just repeating this total crap about Keane? He hardly played all season its just not true at all to say he gets him on when he can.
He put him up front as striker as a sub for one of our games lol its probably the best position he could play and he adopted the back three for a couple of games so he could get Keane on

He put him up front as striker as a sub for one of our games lol its probably the best position he could play and he adopted the back three for a couple of games so he could get Keane on
He put him up front for one minute when 2 of our strikers had had to go off! He played 34 minutes in the second half of the season its just not true at all that he tries to get him in the team all the time he's probably started about 20% of games since Dyche got here i'd guess a lower percentage than under any other manager since we signed him!

It isn't that he doesn't have talent. he clearly does, but there has to have been some sort of issue off the pitch with him. Didn't Guardiola accuse of him of being overweight at one point?

I'm not even sure that getting a full Dyche pre-season in would be enough for him.

It's not quite Dele Alli levels of gamble, but it's not a million miles away given what he earns and at best you might be able to convince City to cover half of that. I knew this summer was going to be tough, but I was thinking low risk loans and frees, not magic beans
Tbh it looks like a dele level gamble. The dele gamble looked like we might have got a world class player, it couldn’t have turned out any worse that signing. Potential this one could go the same way.
Pep calling him out publically, makes me think behind the scenes his professionalism is questionable. This is man who puts up with grealish lifestyle

You get creative I’d say, Phillips on loan, Onana sold for what 55 million, be PSR compliant and buy after June the 30th, agree to pay in 25/26 when you have new stadium wonga.

Not saying any of that will happen, but the above isn’t against the rules either.
true, we did do that with Beto. Pity there isn't some sort of cooling off period on that one though...

If that's the case, then he doesn't come because we can't afford him.

We currently can't spend money.

We have a threadbare squad.

We have to sell Pickford, Onana, Branthwaite or Calvert-Lewin just to avoid another FFP charge by the end of June.

We have chaos at ownership level, and an interim board.

We don't have many options.

In my opinion, unless there's a change in ownership in the coming weeks - we won't pay money for anyone until we sell someone - and we'll sell for more than we spend this summer.
Dont worry, we dont have any FFP to worry about this season as incredible as that may seem.

We found out from the ICs that approximately 52% of our losses ended up counting towards FFP. We lost 38m in 21/22 and 89m in 22/23, so the current 23/24 we can afford to lose 74m and still be fine. Last year we lost 89m, and have reduced wages by 11m, amortization by 9m, misc costs by 13m(manager and board payoffs etc), had an extra 20m in player trading, and gained 6.2m by placing higher.....bringing our expected loss down to around 30m. Im betting we add some 5-10m more in interest for the stadium to the books but should put us comfortably 30m below the threshold.

The bad news is I lied and you SHOULD worry because though FFP doesnt matter, Moshiri is still selling players to fund the stadium and turn a profit.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back