Everton Summer 2024 Transfer Thread

Is Phillips even that injury prone?

Looks like he had a shoulder issue which needed surgery, but apart from that there’s no injury history since a hamstring injury he recovered from in March 22.

As City bought him after the injury for £45m they couldn’t have been too concerned about it?

He’s the perfect signing for us right now IMO. Stock is incredibly low after confidence knocks and no game time for the best team in world football.

The West Ham move was doomed because of his fitness issues and their form collapsing, but given a full preseason he could be a huge signing for us.

He was a banker for England and played his way into a Man City move. Crazy that so many fans are against the signing.

Hopefully we can get him without paying full wages, covering £100k pw for a year is £5m, probably a net increase of £1m on Onana’s wages while banking his £50-60m sale. An option to buy could be useful too, if we could negotiate one for ~£25m.

He missed three months when Leeds just stayed up in 2022 season.

The issue is he's hardly played in two years. He played more for England than for Man. City last season. Then he started a few games for West Ham before they swiftly took him out as he was a liability and costing them goals.

He needs a pre season and then to be eased into a team so I wouldn't be expecting too much from him in the opening months. Luckily central midfield is the most stable area of the team so he doesn't have to hit the ground running like other signings will need to.

Certainly wouldn't be my first choice signing but I can see some logic that he'll come good over the Winter once he's got 10 + starts.

There was a vague link to Phillips in January wasn't there? However West Ham were much higher in table and still in Europe so no surprise he went there.

That loan was a disaster and I reckon he'd have gone to Leeds if they'd been promoted so realistically his options are pretty limited so I can see it happening given it's down the road and getting "Dychefit" would do him the world of good.

Pretty much the Onana replacement.

With Harrison I assume two domestic loans is the limit or can you have more?
Pretty much the Andre Gomes replacement.

…regardless of monies, Phillips is only good enough if he’s going to make an effective contribution. We had Delph sit on the sidelines for two seasons on big bucks, so we have to be careful engaging a player who’s not been playing consistently for quite a while.
Agreed that it is a risk, but a calculated one.
A player at his very prime now who was a regular international before his move to Man City, a player whose performances earned him the move to City is surely worth taking a chance on.

I think a full pre season with a manager who rateshim and who tried to sign him previously should motivate the player to reestablish himself as a top player.

The move to West Ham was poor but that can happen.

We should be taking the absolute piss with our loan offer to City, like covering 20-30% of his wages kind of piss taking. His stock couldn’t be lower and they’re stuck with him until he plays his way back into form.

I’m not against us getting Phillips but there’s still no reason at all for us to be doing them a favour.

We should be taking the absolute piss with our loan offer to City, like covering 20-30% of his wages kind of piss taking. His stock couldn’t be lower and they’re stuck with him until he plays his way back into form.

I’m not against us getting Phillips but there’s still no reason at all for us to be doing them a favour.
Mate, the fella will have other options.

I dont think we decide the terms of this loan, sure we can make our offer, but we arent bidding against ourselves.

Godfrey and Patterson are far better than ashley young at his current age. Godfrey and Patterson didn't make the howlers that young made this season, and conceded the penalties that ashley young did. That forest game he was truly blessed he had three situations that could of been easily called the other way on a different day
We had a very good defensive record all seasoit is probably the main reason we are still in the Premiership.

I can't understand the logic in attacking the manager about the area of the team that gave the strongest performances during the season

Players can depreciate in value especially when not being played and encountering injuries
Absolutely true, but I have only read about a loan for Philips not a permanent deal, if there is a decline in value and I agree that there will be then it won't be our loss.

In fact a good loan at Everton would help restore the players value.

We had a very good defensive record all seasoit is probably the main reason we are still in the Premiership.

I can't understand the logic in attacking the manager about the area of the team that gave the strongest performances during the season
You didn't think young was a liability? I believe dyche did an astounding job despite the circumstances but we also had 4 months where we didn't win a single game so he's not infallible , I'm just mentioning flaws I've observed with his game and if dyche found other solutions we might have been in a better position even with point deductions, im not saying I want him sacked but as a fan who watches on a regular basis I've noticed some troubling patterns. You can disagree obviously but that's my stance

I'm still unclear on how much interest payments and using loans to pay the wages impacts PSR. Are we just so far over that anything other than selling multiple players will leave us with deductions anyway or can some of those payments be written off in the calculations?
PSR is based off the profit and loss - working in the accounting industry loans are kept on the balance sheet however the interest is a profit and loss charge (and rumoured to be massive rates cheers
Moshiri). Sell a player like Braintwaithe then a disposal is calculated so it would roughly be his current contract value which is wages cost for next 4 years less say a transfer fee of 70mil = profit to the profit and loss and makes the PSR a lot easier for the current year..

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back