Everton Summer 2024 Transfer Thread

Everton have launched a bid of £25.5m to sign Portuguese midfielder Florentino Luis from Benfica, according to Correio de Manha.

In page 11 of the Portuguese publication’s 31 May edition, journalist Antonio Pereira reports that Florentino is the subject of an opening bid from Everton, but that Benfica president Rui Costa is seeking an additional £8.5m.

The 24-year-old is among several defensive midfield options on Sean Dyche’s shopping list, and has played 38 times in all club competitions for the Liga Portugal runners-up this season.

Pereira notes: “Rui Costa intends to receive another 10 million [euros].

“Benfica are open to negotiating [for] the 24-year-old midfielder, but for a price he considers fair. Florentino has a contract until 2027 and a release clause of 120 million euros.”

Sounds like the Portuguese chaps are stirring the pot a bit here. I'd be gobsmacked if anyone paid over £15mil for him.

If we look at the price Palace signed Wharton for (a superior and younger English player) I just lose interest in this player quite quickly.
weight-throw-nut-shot.gif

I think to do what he did in the championship last year at his age is pretty good TBF. And perhaps telling that it's clubs like Palace and Brentford in for him who generally know what they're doing when it comes to recruitment (although all clubs make missteps). I also think being Bellingham's brother could work the other way in that he'll always be compared in a negative way to his brother rather than being looked on as a player in his own right.
I dont know were this 'Brentford get recruitment right' comes from!

Who was the last player they brought in at a low fee that people thought....what a move?

Nathan Collins = £26m
Kevin Schade - £25m
Mark Fleken - £13m
Keane Lewis Potter £19m
Mikkel Damsgaard £15m
Aaron Hickey £14.5m
Kristoffer Ajer £15.7m
Frank Onyeka £10m
Yoane Wissa £10m

Are all there transfers over £10m 2020/21....argument to be said only Wissa represents a 'good' value for money signing

If Everton signed any of these players for these fee's they would all me in the 'meh' category of.....not really worked have they!

Who was the last player they brought in at a low fee that people thought....what a move?

Nathan Collins = £26m
Kevin Schade - £25m
Mark Fleken - £13m
Keane Lewis Potter £19m
Mikkel Damsgaard £15m
Aaron Hickey £14.5m
Kristoffer Ajer £15.7m
Frank Onyeka £10m
Yoane Wissa £10m

Are all there transfers over £10m 2020/21....argument to be said only Wissa represents a 'good' value for money signing

If Everton signed any of these players for these fee's they would all me in the 'meh' category of.....not really worked have they!

Lets also have a look at Crystal Palace's

Adam Wharton £20m
Matheus Franca £20m
Dean Henderson £17m
Chieik Doucoure £22m
Chris Richards £12m
Nauirou Ahamada ??? £12m
Marc Guehi £23m
Joachim Anderson £17.5m
Odsonne Edouard £16m
Jean Phillipe Mateta £11m
Michael Olise £10m

Granted, that is a better hit rate than Brentford. But Olise aside, none of them are guaranteed to get into Everton's side

and yet Keane has done more at Centre back than any of the three you have mentioned.

There is zero evidence to suggest that Keane is a leech. As I've said, id rather get rid and improve, but he's no worse a defender than any of the three you mentioned at centreback. That isn't to say we shouldn't look to improve, but if we lose Branthwaite, can we really afford to be able to get rid of Keane and sign two centre backs? Not to mention Keane's best qualities come out when we are defending deep, which Dyche tends to prefer. Keane has always been much more exposed when we are playing a higher line and *trying to play" pretty football (see Lampard). Context has to be given.

I admit the wages that he will most likely be on are a problem, but that is what it is. Problem with that is that he's also not going to have many suitors at those wages (Look how much we struggled to get holgate out on loan..).

Keane is currently 3rd choice CB.
Godfrey isnt good enough.
Holgate is ABSOLUTELY not good enough. Recalled from failed loan to another failed loan.

To the bit in bold that I've highlighed, please refer to my previous reply to you suggesting that I would get rid and improve, but there are other factors that have to be taken into consideration.

Keane has failed. Simple as that.

Factor in their relative ages and to me it is obvious that Godfrey should be ahead of Keane in the pecking order, which in turn exacerbates the need to dispense with Keane because he's getting paid way too much.

We should loan him out to any club willing to pay 50% + of his wages. We can recall him if needed.

Lets also have a look at Crystal Palace's

Adam Wharton £20m
Matheus Franca £20m
Dean Henderson £17m
Chieik Doucoure £22m
Chris Richards £12m
Nauirou Ahamada ??? £12m
Marc Guehi £23m
Joachim Anderson £17.5m
Odsonne Edouard £16m
Jean Phillipe Mateta £11m
Michael Olise £10m

Granted, that is a better hit rate than Brentford. But Olise aside, none of them are guaranteed to get into Everton's side

Wharton or Doucoure walk into our midfield.

Everton have launched a bid of £25.5m to sign Portuguese midfielder Florentino Luis from Benfica, according to Correio de Manha.

In page 11 of the Portuguese publication’s 31 May edition, journalist Antonio Pereira reports that Florentino is the subject of an opening bid from Everton, but that Benfica president Rui Costa is seeking an additional £8.5m.

The 24-year-old is among several defensive midfield options on Sean Dyche’s shopping list, and has played 38 times in all club competitions for the Liga Portugal runners-up this season.

Pereira notes: “Rui Costa intends to receive another 10 million [euros].

“Benfica are open to negotiating [for] the 24-year-old midfielder, but for a price he considers fair. Florentino has a contract until 2027 and a release clause of 120 million euros.”

Sounds like the Portuguese chaps are stirring the pot a bit here. I'd be gobsmacked if anyone paid over £15mil for him.

If we look at the price Palace signed Wharton for (a superior and younger English player) I just lose interest in this player quite quickly.
(A player on a good run of form at the moment but not proved any level of consistency as of yet, but is English so gets that extra 'he's great...bump)

Changed it for you mate!

Nathan Collins = £26m
Kevin Schade - £25m
Mark Fleken - £13m
Keane Lewis Potter £19m
Mikkel Damsgaard £15m
Aaron Hickey £14.5m
Kristoffer Ajer £15.7m
Frank Onyeka £10m
Yoane Wissa £10m

Don’t confuse agendas with facts

Nathan Collins = £26m
Kevin Schade - £25m
Mark Fleken - £13m
Keane Lewis Potter £19m
Mikkel Damsgaard £15m
Aaron Hickey £14.5m
Kristoffer Ajer £15.7m
Frank Onyeka £10m
Yoane Wissa £10m

Too early to judge on a few of those players and apart from Damsgaard there are none there that you’d call duds

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back