Everton Summer 2024 Transfer Thread

agreed mate, were we have messed up is going beyond our means on big wages (usually players over 26) for either not good enough, or injury prone players!
Then they haven't been able to be shifted.

What we have been good at, as you say is making the BIG money on players for small outlays, or even straight from the academy!

I don't think there has been a science to it, i think it might be our profile that helps that?

I’d like to hope that all the work Moyes did on the academy and the investment into Finch Farm would hopefully put us ahead of a lot of bottom half clubs in terms of player development.

Part of me thinks that because we’ve been so poor we’ve given really good opportunities to young players (despite what the constant critics will say). We built an entire team around Ross Barkley, we relied on Calvert Lewin a young striker to replace Lukaku, we played Gordon for better or worse when a top club might not have even given him a run. Tom Davies and Jonjoe Kenny had PL careers far longer than they should have been. It’s the same principle with Branthwaite now. I’m not sure he’s even seeing PL minutes if he’s at City but he’s been allowed to make mistakes at Everton and just play every game because his alternative is Michael Keane. He then gets confidence and starts bossing it.

Ya they havnt done as well in their recruitment since they got promoted. Only thing is they probably wouldn't lose too much on those players if they sell them on and unlike Everton probably not on rediclous wages, so would be able to sell on rather than having to loan out till their contracts expire

good example of that was Lewis Potter..... i was all for us going for the lad! He looked excellent.
But teams tend to spend upwards of £20m on players with no actual plan for them and be all about 'we can move him on in 2 years for a fortune if he blows up' instead of actually trying to build a capable side!
ALL transfers are gambles i know that, but Brentford would of been better off not buying half of these and spending that extra bit more on someone who would of been a guarantee to improve the side!
I hate the ideology of 'paying for potential' and selling it on!

Nathan Collins is a dud!
Kevin Schade is a dud!
Aaron Hickey has played less games than Nathan Patterson (who incidentally when fit gets picked ahead of him for Scotland)
Keane Lewis Potter has been a dud

The others are 'meh'
too early to say on those IMO. They're all young players with high potential. Schade, Hickey and Lewis-Potter have been affected by injuries

I’d like to hope that all the work Moyes did on the academy and the investment into Finch Farm would hopefully put us ahead of a lot of bottom half clubs in terms of player development.

Part of me thinks that because we’ve been so poor we’ve given really good opportunities to young players (despite what the constant critics will say). We built an entire team around Ross Barkley, we relied on Calvert Lewin a young striker to replace Lukaku, we played Gordon for better or worse when a top club might not have even given him a run. Tom Davies and Jonjoe Kenny had PL careers far longer than they should have been. It’s the same principle with Branthwaite now. I’m not sure he’s even seeing PL minutes if he’s at City but he’s been allowed to make mistakes at Everton and just play every game because his alternative is Michael Keane. He then gets confidence and starts bossing it.
I agree with all that mate and can't really add any more to it!

Its a bit like 'back in the day' when there were only 2 or 3 substitutes so squads were literally 14-16 fellas's. 2 injury's in a Centre forward position and the young reserve strike was getting draughted in!

He looked a very good player at the last Euros i think it was mate, surprised he hasn't stepped up.

I see Mbueno is making sounds about a move, Brentford are regressing in my opinion, we need to be ahead of them next season.
Re Damsgaard it's injuries I think which I think was known before they bought him (I could be wrong on that) and that's probably why he went there in the 1st place rather than to a bigger club. They suffered without Toney this season IMO and losing him would be massive for them

Re Damsgaard it's injuries I think which I think was known before they bought him (I could be wrong on that) and that's probably why he went there in the 1st place rather than to a bigger club. They suffered without Toney this season IMO and losing him would be massive for them

He looked a good one, I remember shouting for him on here at the time.

I think their survival rests on how they spend the Toney money mate, I see signs there though with the manager being linked away and the likes of Toney and Mbuemo hoping to move on that the cycle there could be ending and they could be at risk.

When you look at their wage bill it’s very hard to sustain what they do and attract the required quality and then keep it. Maupay I think was their third top earner last year on just North on 50k a week.

I think it’s inevitable they get sucked down if I’m honest, just when.

Everton have launched a bid of £25.5m to sign Portuguese midfielder Florentino Luis from Benfica, according to Correio de Manha.

In page 11 of the Portuguese publication’s 31 May edition, journalist Antonio Pereira reports that Florentino is the subject of an opening bid from Everton, but that Benfica president Rui Costa is seeking an additional £8.5m.

The 24-year-old is among several defensive midfield options on Sean Dyche’s shopping list, and has played 38 times in all club competitions for the Liga Portugal runners-up this season.

Pereira notes: “Rui Costa intends to receive another 10 million [euros].

“Benfica are open to negotiating [for] the 24-year-old midfielder, but for a price he considers fair. Florentino has a contract until 2027 and a release clause of 120 million euros.”

Sounds like the Portuguese chaps are stirring the pot a bit here. I'd be gobsmacked if anyone paid over £15mil for him.

If we look at the price Palace signed Wharton for (a superior and younger English player) I just lose interest in this player quite quickly.
Looks like agents are still using Everton to try get some interest for their players...shame they did not get the memo that we are not that kind of club anymore...

too early to say on those IMO. They're all young players with high potential. Schade, Hickey and Lewis-Potter have been affected by injuries
Been very kind to Lewis Potter in terms of injury's mate!
I'll let you off with the Schade one, Hickey played plenty the previous season and was 'meh'

Lets also have a look at Crystal Palace's

Adam Wharton £20m
Matheus Franca £20m
Dean Henderson £17m
Chieik Doucoure £22m
Chris Richards £12m
Nauirou Ahamada ??? £12m
Marc Guehi £23m
Joachim Anderson £17.5m
Odsonne Edouard £16m
Jean Phillipe Mateta £11m
Michael Olise £10m

Granted, that is a better hit rate than Brentford. But Olise aside, none of them are guaranteed to get into Everton's side
Fair enough aseasement. Interestingly olise is exactly the type we’re lacking and very much need.

He looked a good one, I remember shouting for him on here at the time.

I think their survival rests on how they spend the Toney money mate, I see signs there though with the manager being linked away and the likes of Toney and Mbuemo hoping to move on that the cycle there could be ending and they could be at risk.

When you look at their wage bill it’s very hard to sustain what they do and attract the required quality and then keep it. Maupay I think was their third top earner last year on just North on 50k a week.

I think it’s inevitable they get sucked down if I’m honest, just when.
This Igor Thiago who i know nothing about could either be disaster or Benteke at Villa!

I think as a whole, they have done well! Its just they have had occasional brain farts on trying to jump up a level! Most the deals they make from Scandanvia tend to work! Anything from anywhere else seems like they over pay!

Been very kind to Lewis Potter in terms of injury's mate!
I'll let you off with the Schade one, Hickey played plenty the previous season and was 'meh'
KLP's first season there was disrupted by injury. And all those players are born 2001 or after, so too early to judge them definitively

Anyway, I only wanted to say I think Jobe Bellingham is potentially a good player lol

Lets also have a look at Crystal Palace's

Adam Wharton £20m
Matheus Franca £20m
Dean Henderson £17m
Chieik Doucoure £22m
Chris Richards £12m
Nauirou Ahamada ??? £12m
Marc Guehi £23m
Joachim Anderson £17.5m
Odsonne Edouard £16m
Jean Phillipe Mateta £11m
Michael Olise £10m

Granted, that is a better hit rate than Brentford. But Olise aside, none of them are guaranteed to get into Everton's side
Wharton walks in, on current form Mateta as well probably

KLP's first season there was disrupted by injury. And all those players are born 2001 or after, so too early to judge them definitively

Anyway, I only wanted to say I think Jobe Bellingham is potentially a good player lol
Potential!!!!

Leeds had potential with the likes of Summerville, Gnonto & Gray..........................they will be playing Championship next year!

Sunderland invested in plenty of potential last summer, they had a mare of a season!

Palace need to be careful in how often they go into the 'potential' market, especially with Wharton already in that midfield with plenty of potential!

Potential!!!!

Leeds had potential with the likes of Summerville, Gnonto & Gray..........................they will be playing Championship next year!

Sunderland invested in plenty of potential last summer, they had a mare of a season!

Palace need to be careful in how often they go into the 'potential' market, especially with Wharton already in that midfield with plenty of potential!
Summerville and Gray were two of Leeds' best players last season. Sunderland had trouble with managers.

Anyway, I just wanted to say I think Jobe Bellingham is potentially a good player

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back