Everton Summer 2024 Transfer Thread

False equivalency in that comparison. Tarks is 30+ and plays in a position England have decent depth.

Garner and Wharton aren't far apart in age and both play in a position which England lack, why wouldn't Garner get a call up or a sniff? Cause Wharton is better. Why does it matter that he's only played 15 PL games? You can see his talent and quality instantly.

Same with Branthwaite only having one full PL season, it doesn't matter, you see his talent instantly.
And Max Kilman?

England have Bellingham, Rice, Mainoo, Alexander Arnold, Curtis Jones,, Phil Foden who can all play in centre mid! I'd hardly call them weak in that position.

I'd say 15 PL games matter as its a small sample size! Should you judge Ross Barkley by his first 15 PL games?

Sorry but that's nonsense. Wharton is better than Garner and he'd suit Everton more than Onana does. There is a reason he's been fast tracked to the England squad and Garner hasn't had a sniff.
I also said Garner gets picked ahead of him!

I'm not picking the team, Sean Dyche is!

False equivalency in that comparison. Tarks is 30+ and plays in a position England have decent depth.

Garner and Wharton aren't far apart in age and both play in a position which England lack, why wouldn't Garner get a call up or a sniff? Cause Wharton is better. Why does it matter that he's only played 15 PL games? You can see his talent and quality instantly.

Same with Branthwaite only having one full PL season, it doesn't matter, you see his talent instantly.
Just a polite reminder Ben Godfrey has also been picked for England

It’s just the latest shiny ball. It’s embarrassing how it happens every single time. A manager wins a few games and it’s ’why didn’t we get him’ a player has a few decent games and the forum goes into an obsessive mode about it like those consecutive summers when Grealish and Leon Bailey where the only two players in the world that Everton should be targeting.

There’s probably a load of stuff years back melting down about Phillips and Bielsa yet when we’re linked with getting him on a loan only a few seasons later people aren’t interested now.

If Brighton had bought Onana and were selling him to Bayern Munich you’d never hear the end of it on here about how useless Thelwell had been outmanoeuvred etc. It’s honestly just tiresome.

But sure Adam Wharton who has only just nailed down a place in the Palace side and may or may not make his first England squad is better than Onana who will probably end up at Arsenal or Bayern Munich and has captained Belgium.
Nailed it!

And Max Kilman?

England have Bellingham, Rice, Mainoo, Alexander Arnold, Curtis Jones,, Phil Foden who can all play in centre mid! I'd hardly call them weak in that position.

I'd say 15 PL games matter as its a small sample size! Should you judge Ross Barkley by his first 15 PL games?

Kilman is 27 and again, in a position of great depth for England. He's nothing special, his ceiling has probably already been reached.

You've picked a player who plays predominantly as a RB and two players that have played the majority of the season as forward midfielders (Foden and Bellingham) as CM options. That's daft. So you're left with Rice/Mainoo/Jones as options for the DM positions which Wharton/Garner operate in.

Wharton is just a better player. It's no sleight on Garner who is also a good midfielder for mid-table clubs but Wharton has that special something that we also see in Branthwaite.

(A player that I have never seen play before he joined Palace. I totally agree with your point and suggestion that he would be a far superior signing than Florentino Luis. What a pity the club didnt do what you suggested all these times and sign him. Now i need to rush to the toilet for a little...bump)

Thank you.

How can Doucoure if he can barely walk?

Onana is better than Wharton

lol well yeah before his injury of course.

Onana is better than Wharton who walks in over Gana and Garner.

If Onana leaves he'd also be an ideal replacement.

And Max Kilman?

You'd seriously consider tory trent and curtis 'do you know who my cousin is laa' Jones good enough to play top level international football midfield?

Age doesn't define starters though. Godfrey has done even less than Keane in an Everton shirt. While Keane is most likely on a more significant wage than Godfrey, Godfrey is a hell of a lot more sellable and provides finance/cash flow. Keane would still be a back up. I agree it's a lot money to pay for a back up, but he is the more accomplished defender of all the back up options. I dont see how there is an argument for Godfrey being 'Obvious' at being higher in the pecking order. He only ever gets gametime at full back, (which is criminal considering how neglected our full back positions have been over the years). Just because he's on a lower wage doesn't mean he should be a better choice. While I think you believe we need a complete overhaul of those options (I would agree), it's going to have to be step by step. If you were to loan keane out for 50% wage contribution, lets say hes on 100k a week (which i think is a reasonable assumption), that's 50k we are still paying, and then still paying godfreys wage which for arugments say is 50k tops? (most likely more), we're still paying 100k for a back up defender. So then you discount the wages because you're still in a situation of getting one of hte books and paying a similar wage each week.

Keane is a better defender than Godfrey in my opinion. - But this doesn't mean the bar is set high, just because I think Keane is better than Godfrey, doesn't mean I wouldn't hope for an improvement of options. I think Keane's mistakes get more and more highlighted because he is a low block defender who, as you've put, turns like a tugboat. Godfrey makes plenty of mistakes, he has this thing about recovery tackles, but why does he have to make so many recovery tackles?

The loaning club would have to agree to a recall option though - if you're a loaning club would you want that clause for a player you're wanting to loan?

While we both agree Keane isn't good enough I dont think we're going to fully agree here buddy. I think we both would like upgrades on both but I personally dont think Keane is any worse than Ben Godfrey, when we are defending in a low block, defending a lead, I'd rather Keane come on to help out than Ben Godfrey.

It's nothing personal about Ben Godfrey either, he does get stuck in but for me, Keane is a better CB, Godfrey seems to only get gametime at full back when we're in crisis - which isn't his fault ofcourse. While the faith would be limited, I'd have more faith Keane filling in than Ben Godfrey.

Just to re-iterate, I wouldn't have either in an ideal world. I dont believe having a CB who's skillset is only built for one style of football/defending isn't a good thing, but we simply aren't going to be able to shift 8 players out and bring 8 players in. I think that's amplified by the fact we are extending OAP Young's contract. lol
Fair enough mate - life would be boring if we all agreed.

From my point of view, Keane has made way too many costly errors in his time at Goodison so if Tarkowski or Branthwaite went off I'd put Godfrey in at CB rather than Keane.

I don't think Godfrey gets time at fullback because he's a bad CB, I think it's because we have no depth at FB and neither Keane nor Holgate can play FB at all. If we improved the FB depth we wouldn't need Godfrey there and he could focus on CB.

TL,DR: bring in a fullback and ditch Keane.

We have to assume that Onana is probably lined up for the exit door. It's just speculation atm and none of us know what business we will do or how deals will be structured, I think it's going to be a case of wait and see what happens this summer.
I expect that too, but im kinda assuming that money will go directly into dealing with losses and trying to correct the finances according to the PL. I doubt we’d see any of it going towards new players. Hope im wrong, as you say, its all speculation.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back