Everton Summer 2024 Transfer Thread

I am not saying you’re wrong but I look at it differently.

If you sign a young player for 10m say, chances are they are on low wages and even if they don’t make the grade you will still be able to sell him to a championship club for 5-10m in a couple of years time.

His wages wouldn’t be to much for them to take on and you get some money back to reinvest.

Vlasic , Gerri , lookman even the Nigerian Henry bloke that never played for us all turn into successful business transactions despite not making the grade .

It’s signings on big wages that kill is as when they flop we can’t recoup anything as nobody will take on their contracts and they leave for free costing us millions

Mina 27m
Gomes 25m
Tuson25m
Walcott 20m
Bolasie 27m
Allan 20m
Williams 11m
Schneiderlin 20m ( recouped 2m)
Niasse 13m
Siggy 45m
Gbamin 20m ( unlucky with injury)
Sandro 5m
Delph 8m

I’m missing players no doubt but that’s 266m in fees and 2m recouped ..

Add in wages and we are taking double that figure with no improvement in the squad ..

Holgate , doucs , deli and probably Keane will all be on big wages and will probably end up getting us zero back in transfer fees
That only works if the player turns out to be quite good though there are loads of players who get bought as a project who end up totally flopping and going on a free or something its not true at all that everyone we sign like that will definitely retain a good level of value. In the end it all comes down to finding the right players whoever they are and however old they are the same basic principle is what matters - will they provide good value for money?

That only works if the player turns out to be quite good though there are loads of players who get bought as a project who end up totally flopping and going on a free or something its not true at all that everyone we sign like that will definitely retain a good level of value. In the end it all comes down to finding the right players whoever they are and however old they are the same basic principle is what matters - will they provide good value for money?
The league is littered with players bought with potential that just end up being a squad player and not really doing anything over the length of there contract!

Lloyd Kelly?
Availible after being released by Bournemouth, can play Centre back or left back!
More chance of signing Lloyd Christmas
IMG_0367.webp

If they flop the loss in 10m plus 10m in wages over 5 years .

Maximum loss is 20m if they are so bad that they can’t even reach championship level.

Bolasie cost us 27m and then 25m in wages …

Even if you get a 50% success rate with youngsters you will be ok.

Simms and cannon went for 16m between them and cannon never played.

The keys is not to buy trash players.

I would argue that there is greater risk in the 20-30m price bracket as their fee and wages can cost you much more and if they don’t develop into a very good prem player you will not be able to make money on them.

Palaces model works , Brighton’s has been very successful and I would much rather be like that and have a chance of watching some decent players develop than signing the likes of Harrison or any other 27 plus year old players that are already in their “prime” and will therefore never be worth anymore than they are when we sign them .

The only way that is unsustainable is if they push you up the league to get a return on investment .

Six clubs, including us are in danger of PSR rule breaks according to Sky. Others are Forest, Leicester, Chelsea, Villa and Newcastle.

I will take a bet now that; Chelsea, Villa and Newcastle will not get a points deduction. I think us, Forest and Leicester are a different matter. Leicester in particular, based on the rules we were judged on, should start the season with a points deduction. The premier league found them guilty of PSR breach last season, from when they were last in the premier league, but they didnt get a punishment from the premier league. Forest could be OK, if they sell Gibbs-White or Hudson-Odoi.

For us Onana and Branthwaite will get linked with moves all summer. I think Onana is nailed on to be sold, its if that will be enough or we have to sell Branthwaite.

My gut feeling is that PSR will get scrapped and replaced with a new system, but probably not until us, Leicester, Forrest and possibly Villa and Newcastle have sold first team players this summer.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back