Everton Summer 2024 Transfer Thread

200w.gif

I already responded to this, there is nothing here. They do not need to sell unless there is some crazy 30-40m charge on the books this year thats not expected. Sky is wrong, but then again Sky is usually wrong. Id put good money on it, lets revisit 1 year from today and see how many of those 6 clubs had to sell by June 30th.

Smith Rowe would be our ceiling as far as players we can attract , assuming we could imo

Decent player that is technically very good and a midfielder that can take the ball on the turn and actually not soil himself whenever he is passed the ball

I do think though with the London based players, why would they uproot and come up here for a relegation battle when likes of Fulham, Palace and West Ham would likely show interest and they can offer mid table and/outside European challenge.

It was different in summer 2019 with Iwobi and Richarlison coming up as it had been a decent first season under Silva and club were still on fringes of European challenge.

Eventually it did then happen for six months under Carlo before everything evaporated again in summer 2021.

There really isn't much to offer a young player currently. Palace could just say to Smith Rowe they have four players in the England squad so pretty easy sales pitch.

Hopefully in a year's time with credible new owners and a fantastic new ground some decent players will actually be interested in joining.

Barkley being heavily linked and then being happy enough to join Villa as a squad player is probably the guide to what will happen to even attempting to sign experienced prem players.

I don't know what point you're making now i don't think this is the same thing as you said at first at all. Like I said the key is just to sign the right players for the right prices there doesn't have to be these stupid hard and fast rules that people try to put on it - don't sign anyone over 25 don't sign anyone from a big club et cetera - you just sign good players who will work in your system and offer good value for money. You say Palaces model works but what is it? I guess you see them sign Wharton and Eze from the Championship and decide thats their model but what about them signing Rob Holding from Arsenal and Clyne from Liverpool and Jefferson Lerma on a free transfer how do they fit into the model you're talking about. Anybody can say don't waste money like we did on Bolasie can't they thats not insight that adds anything to the conversation it doesn't mean the only solution is to buy untried foreign youngsters for reasonably big fees though which was the point I was replying to!

The point I was making is that if we only have 10m for example.

Imo, it’s better to spend that on a player that can improve in quality and potentially make you money.

Rather than someone who is at their peak , unlikely to improve and likely that they will not improve further and eventually leave on a free .

Harrison would fall into the latter hence why I wouldn’t sign him .

Prime example is Beto and chermiti , out of those two who cost more? Who is more likely to become better? Who is more likely to not make the grade and cost us more money?

Even if they both flop, chermiti would not be as an expensive “mistake “ as Beto.

I’d love us to be able to go out and sign decent players , but we can’t as our finances are a mess. The only realistic solution I can see is to buy young players and develop them.

I do think though with the London based players, why would they uproot and come up here for a relegation battle when likes of Fulham, Palace and West Ham would likely show interest and they can offer mid table and/outside European challenge.

It was different in summer 2019 with Iwobi and Richarlison coming up as it had been a decent first season under Silva and club were still on fringes of European challenge.

Eventually it did then happen for six months under Carlo before everything evaporated again in summer 2021.

There really isn't much to offer a young player currently. Palace could just say to Smith Rowe they have four players in the England squad so pretty easy sales pitch.

Hopefully in a year's time with credible new owners and a fantastic new ground some decent players will actually be interested in joining.

Barkley being heavily linked and then being happy enough to join Villa as a squad player is probably the guide to what will happen to even attempting to sign experienced prem players.

Not saying it will be easy. The take over is the biggest thing in all of this.

Get a decent owner that employs decent staff and board etc and all of a sudden it’s not such a hard thing to sell over let’s say Palace.

Villa would have been a tough sell when gerrard was there but not now.

A new owner moving into a new stadium and a club that has some direction could appeal to someone like smith Rowe . A young player that wants to play and joining a club that are showing that they want to improve and compete.

Barkley going to villa says everything you need to know about him, he’s not really arsed if he plays and is making a similar decision as when he went to Chelsea.

This is why I believe hungry you players that want to play in England or the prem is the type of signing we should be prioritising .

I havent seen him linked for 40m, personally.

But even at 40m we would make a profit.

We make a profit on anything above 33m and Lille get 20% of the profit, its insane that people still think we have to give them 20% of everything.

I didn't literally mean less than what we paid. It was just a tongue in cheek remark. An approx £38m return on a player we paid £33m for would be a travesty.

Hoping those links were wide of the mark anyway.

Only Palace, Newcastle, West Ham and Fulham had older average age last season, this coming season we might be the oldest if we are looking to add players the wrong side of 30, it is clear to see from his past that Dyche loves the older players and even at Everton he is loathe to play youngsters over the older players.

The only exception is Branthwaite...

View attachment 259815
My god are Maupay & Keane still here?

London raised players generally don't do that well up here, and want to head back south as soon as. Stephen Hughes still gives me nightmares tbh

Imo, it’s better to spend that on a player that can improve in quality and potentially make you money.

Rather than someone who is at their peak , unlikely to improve and likely that they will not improve further and eventually leave on a free .

Prime example is Beto and chermiti , out of those two who cost more? Who is more likely to become better? Who is more likely to not make the grade and cost us more money?

Even if they both flop, chermiti would not be as an expensive “mistake “ as Beto.

I’d love us to be able to go out and sign decent players , but we can’t as our finances are a mess. The only realistic solution I can see is to buy young players and develop them.
Yes I agree with that I think everybody would in that very basic form but the point is it isn't that basic. Saying if we sign one player for 10 mil and he flops and one player for 25 mil and he also flops then the 10 mil one wasn't as bad a mistake is sort of true but also really not the point because if the 25 mil one ISN'T a flop then theres no argument and thats the whole point we need to buy better. People have got obsessed with the mistakes we've made in the past and decided that the entire idea of it was wrong but it wasn't we just did it really badly! Signing Bolasie wasn't a bad decision because he was 27 it was a bad decision because he was crap! We need to sign a mix of players who give us what we need and stop thinking that every single player in a certain category would be a bad signing regardless of the circumstances. Aston Villa signed loads of players recently in the same brackets as we did a few years ago but they've got into Europe and then the Champions League because they've signed the right players and got the right manager and we did neither.

Would it not be better to spend it on someone that can come into the first team and contribute straight away?

Danny Williamson says hi 👋 although pretty sure Kevin Campbell was London raised so it's a weak argument that anyone south of (arbitrary UK landmark) can't settle in the North West.
Interesting concept! Obviously super kev is the anomoly........but i'm just trying to think off the top of my head, how many 'southerners' settle at Everton & do well?

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back