Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Everton Summer 2024 Transfer Thread

Interesting concept! Obviously super kev is the anomoly........but i'm just trying to think off the top of my head, how many 'southerners' settle at Everton & do well?
It depends what you class as doing well but even just in the last couple of years Young Iwobi Townsend for example have been fine and certainly not had any problem settling its not even close to being true loads of southerners have done well in the North West.

It depends what you class as doing well but even just in the last couple of years Young Iwobi Townsend for example have been fine and certainly not had any problem settling its not even close to being true loads of southerners have done well in the North West.
Iwobi couldn't wait to get back to London.
Young has probably lived in the north for the last 10 years

Iwobi couldn't wait to get back to London.
Young has probably lived in the north for the last 10 years
Iwobi was here for 4 years and overall he did fine whether he would rather have been in London doesn't really matter he settled well enough here to stay as long as anyone really does these days and Young the same thing applies then doesn't it Everton doesn't exist in a vaccuum you either settle up here or you don't it doesn't matter which club you're playing for so if he could settle when he was at Man United its the same thing.

Iwobi was here for 4 years and overall he did fine whether he would rather have been in London doesn't really matter he settled well enough here to stay as long as anyone really does these days and Young the same thing applies then doesn't it Everton doesn't exist in a vaccuum you either settle up here or you don't it doesn't matter which club you're playing for so if he could settle when he was at Man United its the same thing.
Fair enough, i'm not really arguing about it!
Just wondered if it was a bit of a thing, do our northern based signings tend to be more settled, successful at the club! Is it a case of actual living in the north is different from living daaawn saaaarffff!

Could just be a simple case of players not even having to relocate from were they live! Tarkowski for example, but i'd imagine someone like Pickford would of had to move to the North West

Young's been in the North West for years, Townsend at Newcastle. Both also in their 30s when they turned up here.

I meant more younger 20s. Good example would be Tosin turning down Newcastle to sign for Chelsea. I doubt Europa Conference League was the main factor in that, probably just location.

Just in recent years!
North: Harrison, McNeil, Garner, Tarkwoski, Coady, Godfrey, Delph, Branthwaite, Keane, Pickford, Rooney, Calvert Lewin, Holgate, Stones,
South: Young, Alli, Townsend, Walcott, iwobi, Bolasie, Lookman, Lennon, Cleverley, Galloway, Beckford

I left the likes of Barry, Gray, Williams out as they are all midlands

Fair enough, i'm not really arguing about it!
Just wondered if it was a bit of a thing, do our northern based signings tend to be more settled, successful at the club! Is it a case of actual living in the north is different from living daaawn saaaarffff!

Could just be a simple case of players not even having to relocate from were they live! Tarkowski for example, but i'd imagine someone like Pickford would of had to move to the North West
No I wasn't arguing mate it was just that original post from someone else making it sound like london players never settle up north which is stupid theres loads that do but you're right obviously loads won't want to move and the same the other way.

Just in recent years!
North: Harrison, McNeil, Garner, Tarkwoski, Coady, Godfrey, Delph, Branthwaite, Keane, Pickford, Rooney, Calvert Lewin, Holgate, Stones,
South: Young, Alli, Townsend, Walcott, iwobi, Bolasie, Lookman, Lennon, Cleverley, Galloway, Beckford

I left the likes of Barry, Gray, Williams out as they are all midlands

Nice list! Cleverley born in Bradford and came through Man. United's youth system so needs to go in the North.

I think looking at that list the main name that jumps out is Lookman and trying to sign that type now. He'd have never chosen Palace or Fulham in summer 2016 but he likely would know I reckon.

Let's hope it changes next summer.

Not just this club....RS wanted Caciedo last summer but he signed for Chelsea. Probably due to their training ground being less than an hour from where he was based in Brighton.

Young's been in the North West for years, Townsend at Newcastle. Both also in their 30s when they turned up here.

I meant more younger 20s. Good example would be Tosin turning down Newcastle to sign for Chelsea. I doubt Europa Conference League was the main factor in that, probably just location.
But like I said before it doesn't matter what the club is does it Young and Townsend were able to settle in the North when they were younger so it still proves the same point. Tosin is from Manchester so probably not a very good example really!

Interesting concept! Obviously super kev is the anomoly........but i'm just trying to think off the top of my head, how many 'southerners' settle at Everton & do well?
Just wondering why it's a thing though. Had plenty of overseas players do well and they're geographically dislodged so who knows? 🤷‍♂️

Also look at England Geographically. Even Newcastle to London is only 4 hours on the train or an hour flight.
Compared to Spain, Italy or Turkey etc where distances are much bigger.

Townsend was only at Newcastle for six months mind, whereas he did relocate his family whilst playing for us (I remember listening to a podcast or something where he says his kids were still going to school in Liverpool after he'd just signed for Luton)

As for Tosin, I think he grew up in Manchester so would be used to the north.

Yes I agree with that I think everybody would in that very basic form but the point is it isn't that basic. Saying if we sign one player for 10 mil and he flops and one player for 25 mil and he also flops then the 10 mil one wasn't as bad a mistake is sort of true but also really not the point because if the 25 mil one ISN'T a flop then theres no argument and thats the whole point we need to buy better. People have got obsessed with the mistakes we've made in the past and decided that the entire idea of it was wrong but it wasn't we just did it really badly! Signing Bolasie wasn't a bad decision because he was 27 it was a bad decision because he was crap! We need to sign a mix of players who give us what we need and stop thinking that every single player in a certain category would be a bad signing regardless of the circumstances. Aston Villa signed loads of players recently in the same brackets as we did a few years ago but they've got into Europe and then the Champions League because they've signed the right players and got the right manager and we did neither.

The higher the fee and higher the wages the higher or more costly the risk and unless they turn into a 50-60m pound player there is no real up side . We basically made no money on Richy and he was a “ success here” I’d argue that after signing him for 50m and selling him for 60m .. once you adjust for inflation. His value actually went down.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back