Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Everton Summer 2024 Transfer Thread

Why does Thelwell get obsessed with certain bum players?
I see it as a kind of a positive thing myself it suggests there are things he’s actually seeing in players to make him interested and not just chasing a player because they’ve had a good 6 months or something. I’d be more worried if we were willing to pay 30 mil for someone one minute and had no interest in them at all the next.

He's very high on the list come on! You can't just look at that one season he played for us for 5 years and didn't score in 4 of them! He signed at a time when a good use of that money could have seen us getting in the top 4 and instead we got someone who was well out of his depth it was a terrible transfer.
Who were we signing for £13m to propel us to the Champions League? We finished 11th the season before he signed. His signing was not why we didn’t get top 4 mate, hate to break it to you.

Is there a second Iwobi that I don't know about.

I don't know of a single person(you being the exception) that one season after his sales that even vaguely regrets his leaving.

Thelwell deserves a new contract based on that sale and fee alone.
None of what I said is in opposition to what you’ve said here. I don’t regret him leaving.

Still he’s better than the guys we have left. They aren’t exclusive ideas.

Of all the bad transfer we have made, he is well down the list. Had one of the best goals per minutes rates in the league in that Koeman season when he didn’t even have a locker.

May not have been technical, but he knew where to be and he did score a couple of crackers.
He may have stumbled his way into goals, but he worked hard and stumbled his way into OUR goals, and I respect that.

Who were we signing for £13m to propel us to the Champions League? We finished 11th the season before he signed. His signing was not why we didn’t get top 4 mate, hate to break it to you.
I didn't say his signing was why we didn't get into the champions league I said good use of the money could have seen us get into the champions league thats a very different thing. I think at the time he was about the 3rd most expensive player we'd ever signed and he ended up leaving on a free transfer having made 12 league starts in 5 years we all enjoyed him making Koeman look stupid but it doesn't stop it being a terrible transfer, hate to break it to you.

None of what I said is in opposition to what you’ve said here. I don’t regret him leaving.

Still he’s better than the guys we have left. They aren’t exclusive ideas.
I know what you mean but as far as I am concerned I would not want a single player in our team from the season just ended to be replaced by Iwobi so then I can't agree that he is better than what we have.

I didn't say his signing was why we didn't get into the champions league I said good use of the money could have seen us get into the champions league thats a very different thing. I think at the time he was about the 3rd most expensive player we'd ever signed and he ended up leaving on a free transfer having made 12 league starts in 5 years we all enjoyed him making Koeman look stupid but it doesn't stop it being a terrible transfer, hate to break it to you.
A horrific player that this fanbase idolises.

He played League Two football after us.

I know what you mean but as far as I am concerned I would not want a single player in our team from the season just ended to be replaced by Iwobi so then I can't agree that he is better than what we have.
I imagine the problem here is that it’s Iwobi, who everyone dislikes, and not so much that the players we have who we still want to like are actually better. Harrison is a truly terrible player at this level, Doucoure has no impact on games where deflections aren’t creating goals for him and McNeil, who I still have some hope for, is so horribly miscast as a wide player looking to cross that I just can’t see any use for any of them.

A good use of his £13m wasn’t going to see us get up 7 places mate.

We have finished top 4 once in 33 years. Let’s not act like we were on the verge of something great having just finished 11th.

There have been much worse signings than Niasse who at least contributed a bit. Much more than many others, including others who cost much more.

Last edited:

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back