Everton Summer 2024 Transfer Thread

He has a few
Meanwhile were sitting on 3 forwards that could be sold fot £50mil ish. Need to move them on asap and sign a top finisher.

With Ndiaye, McNeil, Lindstrom ahead he could be effective. Under Dyche? Unlikely.

Doucoure surely cant be kept on.

Was he a "flop" ? Got a really bad injury and then the loan expired.

Think he was meant to be good at fiorentina last season.

Carrying all his medals ;)
He has a few medals all right
Just never won any at Everton

You can shove that tongue right through your cheek. Just watch him play. Don't give a toss if Emery wants him. Emery also wanted Nicolas Pepe for £80m at Arsenal.
I was of course being a bit sarcastic but since you mentioned Pepe have a deep dive into the director of football at arsenal moving on , the nature of the fee and payments . It smacks of a few other deals in the history of football where allegations have subsequently been made . So maybe not all on the manager .

Every single manager makes mistakes and if we’re paying £80m for Phillips I’d be horrified and obviously surprised. If we’re a club with limited resources and the manager thinks he can get a tune out of a very recent international who’s lost his way and the player is available on loan . Whilst the over performing manager of a champions league team also seems to fancy him I’m probably not massively adverse to it .

Would I be looking to sign Phillips , no probably not . Would I be surprised if he failed here , nope not given last year at West Ham but it also wouldn’t shock me if he turned it around .

Look at our signings The lad from Napoli started two games last year , O’Brien has had one full season and Tim played about a dozen premier league games . We’re a club who’s been hamstrung by poor ownership and spending rules , taking chances is where we are .

I was of course being a bit sarcastic but since you mentioned Pepe have a deep dive into the director of football at arsenal moving on , the nature of the fee and payments . It smacks of a few other deals in the history of football where allegations have subsequently been made . So maybe not all on the manager .

Every single manager makes mistakes and if we’re paying £80m for Phillips I’d be horrified and obviously surprised. If we’re a club with limited resources and the manager thinks he can get a tune out of a very recent international who’s lost his way and the player is available on loan . Whilst the over performing manager of a champions league team also seems to fancy him I’m probably not massively adverse to it .

Would I be looking to sign Phillips , no probably not . Would I be surprised if he failed here , nope not given last year at West Ham but it also wouldn’t shock me if he turned it around .

Look at our signings The lad from Napoli started two games last year , O’Brien has had one full season and Tim played about a dozen premier league games . We’re a club who’s been hamstrung by poor ownership and spending rules , taking chances is where we are .

Exactly.

Phillips doesn’t bother me either way, like most loan signings don’t. They’re not here long term unless they play very well in their loan and want to stay so I genuinely can’t see why some get so overworked.

Part of the problem is there’s a handful of posters desperate for us to be linked with an ‘embarrassing’ signing to confirm their weird anti Everton agenda that we’re absolutely crap at everything. The other summer it was Lingard, posters having literal meltdowns about us paying 200k a week for a player that we didn’t even end up signing. Then it was Che Adams, another player we didn’t sign, Weghorst has had his turn in this role.

All I can say is that if this year’s ‘omg he might be the most Everton signing ever’ player is Kalvin Phillips on loan, as opposed to us shelling out 10 mill for Che Adams then our recruitment is obviously massively improving even if the asanine nature of some on here has not.

Phillips still doesn't make sense to me at all. Look at all the players we are seriously linked with and have signed thus far. Aside from Harrison they're all 25 and under. Phillips is a massive stinking outlier to that.

I think its just a risk, best case we get him on loan, possibly paying half of his £150k a week wages and he becomes as good as he was when he was at Leeds. worst case is he is rubbish and we have wasted £4m, which in premier league terms is low.

The reality for Phillips is that he is way down the pecking order at City, last year he went on loan to West Ham and Kevin Nolan was on Talksport saying that Phillips struggled to settle in London because his partner was up north with a new baby. I think this is why Phillips is saying he wants a transfer and not a loan. But if he were to come to us on loan, he wouldn't need to relocate and realistically no one is going to buy him for what city would want and continue to pay him £150k a week. It probably just depends on how much he actually wants to play football.

Still think Phillips on the right deal would be a good one.

Not being good enough for Man City is no great shame.

We need another CM and we've not got a lot of money have we.

I still don't understand this line of thinking when you say not being good enough for Man City. He wasn't good enough at West Ham and he's making basic mistakes at City. It's not that he's not quite good enough and not performing to the high standard of City, he's putting in stinking performances over and over again.

Still think Phillips on the right deal would be a good one.

Not being good enough for Man City is no great shame.

We need another CM and we've not got a lot of money have we.

We don’t play anything like the same football City do. No one does. Guardiola hasn’t found anyone apart from Rodri who can play that role. That doesn’t mean Phillips couldn’t play the role he did at Leeds rotating when to press forward with Gueye or Garner behind him and then sitting back when they press. He can distribute effectively as well.

Completely different game than taking it from your keeper in your own penalty area with your back to goal.

I still don't understand this line of thinking when you say not being good enough for Man City. He wasn't good enough at West Ham and he's making basic mistakes at City. It's not that he's not quite good enough and not performing to the high standard of City, he's putting in stinking performances over and over again.

Yet when he played for Leeds loads on here thought he was good enough for Everton. It’s just a question of whether you think recent loss of form is permanent or he can recapture his old levels. If he was 35 then fair enough, but he’s not, there’s no physical reason in the right system he couldn’t perform at his old levels. It’s just not correct to say he definitely couldn’t play at a good level again and be useful. That’s the risk we’d be taking, on loan.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back