Everton Summer 2024 Transfer Thread

Still think Phillips on the right deal would be a good one.

Not being good enough for Man City is no great shame.

We need another CM and we've not got a lot of money have we.
I just think he dosent fit the profile of player we need to bring in. Wrong end of his career, performing badly last season, on a huge wage. He's a Moshiri signing for 4/5 years ago, not what we should be going after.

You need a blend of youth & experience

you get a team full of 25 and unders and you end up like Leeds or Southampton

Sure, but we have experience in abundance already in the squad. I feel like an older player should only be targeted if they are as much of a sure thing as possible and Phillips is anything but.
Yet when he played for Leeds loads on here thought he was good enough for Everton. It’s just a question of whether you think recent loss of form is permanent or he can recapture his old levels. If he was 35 then fair enough, but he’s not, there’s no physical reason in the right system he couldn’t perform at his old levels. It’s just not correct to say he definitely couldn’t play at a good level again and be useful. That’s the risk we’d be taking, on loan.

That was four seasons ago. Sure, he could end up surprising everyone and perform again but for four seasons in a row he's been utterly trash. I'm sorry but I really don't want us taking that risk.

Sure, but we have experience in abundance already in the squad. I feel like an older player should only be targeted if they are as much of a sure thing as possible and Phillips is anything but.

That was four seasons ago. Sure, he could end up surprising everyone and perform again but for four seasons in a row he's been utterly trash. I'm sorry but I really don't want us taking that risk.
If we do take that risk then it's got to be him or Dele not both imo.

Yet when he played for Leeds loads on here thought he was good enough for Everton. It’s just a question of whether you think recent loss of form is permanent or he can recapture his old levels. If he was 35 then fair enough, but he’s not, there’s no physical reason in the right system he couldn’t perform at his old levels. It’s just not correct to say he definitely couldn’t play at a good level again and be useful. That’s the risk we’d be taking, on loan.
‘Recent’ is a bit disingenuous, it’s been years since he’s shown that form. If it was just last season then I’d be inclined to agree that he can find his best again. But after 3 years the chances of that happening get slimmer and slimmer. We have one domestic loan slot left, we have to get it right

I still don't understand this line of thinking when you say not being good enough for Man City. He wasn't good enough at West Ham and he's making basic mistakes at City. It's not that he's not quite good enough and not performing to the high standard of City, he's putting in stinking performances over and over again.
He went to City in an expensive deal and it hasn't worked out. I think his confidence was at a low ebb and since then things have gotten worse for him.... but that can happen to a player. He was good enough at one point for Pep to spend a lot of money for him and he is at an age where he should be reaching his prime.

A total reset is necessary, a new club , a new season, a new manager.
A loan deal would certainly be worth looking at, we are incredibly light in the middle of the park and will find it impossible to get Players with premiership experience with our budget. We got 50 plus add ons for Onana , the cost of good players is going through the roof.

He went to City in an expensive deal and it hasn't worked out. I think his confidence was at a low ebb and since then things have gotten worse for him.... but that can happen to a player. He was good enough at one point for Pep to spend a lot of money for him and he is at an age where he should be reaching his prime.

A loan deal would certainly be worth looking at, we are incredibly light in the middle of the park and will find it impossible to get Players with premiership experience with our budget. We got 50 plus add ons for Onana , the cost of good players is going through the roof.

Premiership experience doesn't mean anything if your experience is one good season and then multiple seasons looking guff.

I am proud of how the club has dealt with the Dele situation but I don't want us to be a rehab club.

….i get the ‘confidence’ shouts but for me the main concern is whether the game still matters to some players after they’ve had the ‘big money’ move to City.

They’re not all super professionals like Gareth Barry. I really don’t know the issues with Phillips at West Ham, it’s all conjecture whether he can resurrect his career but you certainly wouldn’t be offering him a big bucks deal or covering his wage on loan with lots to prove.

Premiership experience doesn't mean anything if your experience is one good season and then multiple seasons looking guff.
I think I might trust the judgement of Pep and the international manager before I would trust the judgement of posters on here tbh.
Under Moyes some of our best signings were players who had lost their way somewhat.
A loan deal for Philips for me would be a cheap way to get an experiences English international into the squad , but it is academic as it appears he may be going to Villa to help then try to stay in fourth place and play in the CL.

….i get the ‘confidence’ shouts but for me the main concern is whether the game still matters to some players after they’ve had the ‘big money’ move to City.

They’re not all super professionals like Gareth Barry. I really don’t know the issues with Phillips at West Ham, it’s all conjecture whether he can resurrect his career but you certainly wouldn’t be offering him a big bucks deal or covering his wage on loan with lots to prove.
That certainly could be an issue but I think Dyche is the kind of manager to research the background of players he tries to sign, moreso when there is a level of risk involved.

I think I might trust the judgement of Pep and the international manager before I would trust the judgement of posters on here tbh.
Under Moyes some of our best signings were players who had lost their way somewhat.
A loan deal for Philips for me would be a cheap way to get an experiences English international into the squad , but it is academic as it appears he may be going to Villa to help then try to stay in fourth place and play in the CL.

Pep has consistently had problems with him though and made those comments public. They've also been trying to get rid of him for two seasons. Moyes, who you reference, had him and he was guff there making simple mistakes over and over again.

A lot of fans are hoping he is the Kalvin Phillips of 4 years ago, sorry but this isn't happening.
He has had injuries
Very very little game time in 3-4 years
Went to West Ham and they hardly used him
He we will be on a big salary i guess

I mean we should have a list of players and their criteria that we SHOULDNT sign and he would be top of it!
Its a signing with far too many 'ifs' and for a club in our current state this is insane to even be considering it.

I think style of football has an impact as well. He never looked a City player, and whilst hindsight is a wonderful thing, it always looked doomed to fail.
FWIW i do believe he'd suit Dyche and the lack of ball would play to his strengths, especially with the links of Gana beside him, but if he hasn't got that fire in his belly any more you're just wasting time and money.

I still don't understand this line of thinking when you say not being good enough for Man City. He wasn't good enough at West Ham and he's making basic mistakes at City. It's not that he's not quite good enough and not performing to the high standard of City, he's putting in stinking performances over and over again.

He ain't good enough for City.

Wasn't good enough for West Ham.

Isn't good enough for us.

As I said on here - I wouldn't have wanted him that January on loan. He hadn't played football for years.

Needs a good pre-season and confidence. And a team that suits his style.

If it's not done soon or it's not on a loan with low wages id swerve.

But we have Gana who now has a contract. Garner. And the lad we signed as a financial workaround.

Phillips on a free and massively reduced wages - maybe. Phillips for any fee and significant wages - not a chance. Our finances are far too problematic to keep spending money we cannot afford on reclamation projects. The same goes for Alli who should only considered if he will drop wages to fringe squad player level.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back