Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Everton Summer Transfer Thread - 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have a telegraph subscription? How very Tory.

What does it say lol
Its not a subscription newspaper.

And it says nothing we dont already know, dropping to The Championship would mean we would have a shortfall on our revenue which would leave us unable to pay our wage bill, yada yada yada.

Apparently sent scorings too watch Flynn Downes, plays for Swansea, but Leeds also interested. Don’t know anything about him but Google tells me he is 23!

Replace Delph, Soggy and Tosun with young and hungry players on half the wages (or less), who are ready for the 1st team. That would be a good start in itself.
£250k a week in wages on two lads who have no interest in playing football and a third who is 100% focussed on off-field issues. Absolutely absurd state of affairs and someone in the recruitment team should be fired.

Whether we survive or not, I expect we’ll be recruiting in the EFL this summer as a) we have to reduce our wage bill, b) no right-minded Premier League player will join a club in our state, c) we have to replace our outgoing transfers at a net profit. I actually don’t mind - Moyes was brilliant at this. With Thelwell’s background in youth recruiting, there’s real potential there.

FourFourTwo just released the top 50 EFL players. I’d be looking at Brereton Diaz (one year left) if we sell Richarlison or DCL, John Swift (free) to replace Sigurdsson, Johnstone (free) if Pickford goes, and Dickie for CB. Anyone else to be considered?

50. Joe Allen (Stoke)

49. Peter Clarke (Tranmere)

48. Matt Jay (Exeter)

47: Cameron Brannagan (Oxford United)

46. Emil Riis Jakobsen (PNE)

45: James McClean (Wigan Athletic)

44. Jonny Williams (Swindon)

43. Matty Stevens (Forest Green)

42. Elijah Adebayo (Luton)

41: Barry Bannan (Sheffield Wednesday)

40: Will Keane (Wigan Athletic)

39: Joe Jacobson (Wycombe Wanderers)

38. Kane Wilson (Forest Green)

37. Billy Sharp (Sheff Utd)

36: Dan Barlaser (Rotherham United)

35: Dapo Afolyan (Bolton Wanderers)

34. Andreas Weimann (Bristol City)

33. Jamille Matt (Forest Green)

32. Joel Piroe (Swansea)

31 Joe Rothwell (Blackburn)

30. Antoine Semenyo (Bristol City)

29. Sam Johnstone (WBA)

28. Dom Telford (Newport)

27: Cole Stockton (Morecambe)

26. Jed Wallace (Millwall)

25: Ross Stewart (Sunderland)

24. Isaiah Jones (Boro)

23. Darragh Lenihan (Blackburn)

22. Sorba Thomas (Huddersfield)

21: Michael Smith (Rotherham United)

20. Neeskens Kabano (Fulham)

19. Lloyd Kelly (Bournemouth)

18. Lewis O'Brien (Huddersfield)

17. Viktor Gyokeres (Coventry)

16. Keane Lewis-Potter (Hull)

15. Josh Bowler (Blackpool)

14: Scott Twine (MK Dons)

13. Morgan Gibbs-White (Sheff U)

12. Djed Spence (Forest)

11. Ilias Chair (QPR)

10th: Rob Dickie (QPR)

9th: Philip Billing (AFC Bournemouth)

8th: John Swift (Reading)

7th : Chris Willock (QPR)

6th: Dominic Solanke (AFC Bournemouth)

5th: Fabio Carvalho (Fulham)

4th: Brennan Johnson (Nottingham Forest)

3rd: Harry Wilson (Fulham)

2nd: Ben Brereton Diaz (Blackburn Rovers)

1st: Aleksandar Mitrovic (Fulham)

I mean you’re suggesting we sell 3 CM’s and 3 CB’s. Why wouldn’t we need them?
Because of those 6 players, two of them have played less than 30 games COMBINED for us (Gbamin and Mina) and two more (Keane and Holgate) only play because the better option ahead of them (Mina) has chronic injury issues.

Some of the players in our squad are only in the squad as cover for other players who are taking up space in the squad without contributing. Ergo they don't ALL need replacing on a 1-for-1 basis.

Mina, Keane and Holgate (for instance) could be replaced by two new CBs.

Delph, Gbamin and Gomes could be replaced by one new CM, although I would certainly prefer to see two come in.

It's not a controversial concept.

Because of those 6 players, two of them have played less than 30 games COMBINED for us (Gbamin and Mina) and two more (Keane and Holgate) only play because the better option ahead of them (Mina) has chronic injury issues.

Some of the players in our squad are only in the squad as cover for other players who are taking up space in the squad without contributing. Ergo they don't ALL need replacing on a 1-for-1 basis.

Mina, Keane and Holgate (for instance) could be replaced by two new CBs.

Delph, Gbamin and Gomes could be replaced by one new CM, although I would certainly prefer to see two come in.

It's not a controversial concept.

And if the 2 CB’s who replace Keane, Mina and Holgate are injured who plays?

You’re talking about shifting 6 plays and bringing 3 in to what is an already depleted squad.

We have had to play Kenny at CB and Holgate in CM already this season due to lack of numbers.

I agree that if he can punt as many as possible + if him and Thelwell work well together then there could be a lot ot outs and ins.

However, I think its more likely that we go "scorched earth" on the centre backs (Keane, Holgate, Mina) and central midfielders (Gomes, Allan, Iwobi, Gbamin, Doucoure) rather than other positions. Davies i think will stay as hes been injured so wont have any takers.

Obviously their fees / wages off the books will enable us to reinvest -- but it wont be much.

I think the wide forward areas with Gray, Gordon, Richarlison, Dobbin, Townsend, Dele there could allow us to sell Gray or Richarlison to add to the funds.

I dont see much more happening aside from CB and CM...unless we go full on and punt DCL as well.
Central defence and central midfield combine to form the spine of the team - without a strong spine the team is doomed. I agree with you 100% that this team needs a new spine.

The top priorities in the summer should be:

1) shift as many high-earning non-contributors from the squad as possible; whilst also

2) sign 2 starting CBs and 2 starting CMs, on the basis that Godfrey and Branthwaite are competing to be the first CB off the bench and Doucoure is CM3 in a 433 with Davies coming off the bench.

We have to cut out enough dead wood to create wage space, and then bring in players who are BETTER than the ones we keep.

And if the 2 CB’s who replace Keane, Mina and Holgate are injured who plays?

You’re talking about shifting 6 plays and bringing 3 in to what is an already depleted squad.

We have had to play Kenny at CB and Holgate in CM already this season due to lack of numbers.
If the two CBs in the hypothetical example are both injured, Godfrey plays alongside Branthwaite. Are you familiar with the squad mate?

You're ignoring the reason the squad is depleted in the first place. We have a big squad, it's just got too many perma-crocks like Delph and Mina, and absolute bums like Tosun who have no interest in playing whatsoever.

The club cannot ignore the financial scenario. It isn't going to be possible to wave goodbye to six players and then immediately stockpile six more. Quantity is going to have to make way for quality - and let's face it, a squad made large with a swathe of rubbish players hasn't got us anywhere this season, has it.

No doubt about it. It’s a big story and they would be able to dine on the bones of our carcass for hysteria clicks.
I don't think the media care as much as that. Other than the odd article or talksport discussion it's not really being entertained. We are just one of those teams that exist these days, less people under 40 will care.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back