Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Everton Summer Transfer Thread - 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you averaged out the time between

Jeffers Osman Hibbert Rooney Vaughan Anichebe Rodwell Barkley Davies Gordon

It’s probably one first team player every 2 or 3 years all the way back to about the late 90s.

That’s only including pure academy players there as well so not Gosling Stones Holgate DCL Branthwaite who we bought as youngsters and then they broke in.

That’s also not including the multitude of young players who did play first team but weren’t good enough to stay there and now are elsewhere like Lundstram Forshaw Dowell Kenny

It also doesn’t include academy players we let go only to then buy back later like Baines Jagielka

It also doesn’t include the current crop of Dobbin Simms Onyango etc. who I think will get games this season

Our recruitment has been bad in recent years no doubt about it but we go too over the top with criticism of it at times

The player trading profits on Lukaku Stones Barkley Gueye Digne Richarlison were big, if we sold DCL Gray Gordon right now they’d be the same. If you look at how many bottom half clubs have sold multiple players for over 50 mill pounds in the last few seasons there won’t be many.

If anything I think we’ve played some young players far too much when they’ve not been good enough. Davies Kenny and Holgate have arguably had a lot more football than they deserved given their form with us. DCL did for a while as well but has started to repay that fair in recent seasons. Gordon got a whole season in the first team. I struggle to think of any moment when a good kid at Everton is held back and frustrated, we normally massively over play them way too early.
There's a lot to break down there.

All I will say in response is that you might be happy with our youth development and are not too disappointed with our player trading. I disagree, and our league positions, and their trajectory, does not support the idea that things are "fine".

Who have Southampton brought through? And how much game time has Small got, having been given a chance to play here?

We have brought through Gordon, Davies, Kenny, Barkley and lads like Holgate, DCL, Stones in that time to. Prior to that Vaughan, Rooney, Anichebe, Rodwell, Osman etc. Most have played international football. I'm not sure Southampton are miles ahead of us at all.
I've answered that in a previous post already.

We didn't bring Holgate, Stones or DCL through. We bought them and they all went straight into the first team squad.

Make your mind up.
Alright mate, everything is great, our youth team is a steady stream of talent. They not only don't make it here they don't make it anywhere. In all honesty, it would be more cost effective to just wind up our underage system and simply buy every player for the first team. It would be cheaper, we could sack dozens of coaches, use a fraction of Finch Farm and renegotiate our lease.

Well Slippy G seems to quite like the Everton model regarding transfers.
Different point completely but not entirely true either. The only player that Slippy has bought that could be compared to the Everton model is Couthino, and even at, he only cost us 17m. The comparable players over 27 that he signed were all 1st choice players that their teams and nor did they not want to sell them. Kamara is only 22 years old and was a free transfer. Chambers was also signed on a free. Carlos and Digne are the players I assume u are referring to and neither of those appears to be looking for their final payday. Also, Villa is continuing to spend multiple millions each season purchasing up and coming 16 to 18 year olds and these are starting to break through to the 1st team (Ross Wilson a couple of weeks ago joined the Villa u23s). Of course, only time will tell, but there does appear to be a balance between younger and older players joining under Slippy's tenure.

Different point completely but not entirely true either. The only player that Slippy has bought that could be compared to the Everton model is Couthino, and even at, he only cost us 17m. The comparable players over 27 that he signed were all 1st choice players that their teams and nor did they not want to sell them. Kamara is only 22 years old and was a free transfer. Chambers was also signed on a free. Carlos and Digne are the players I assume u are referring to and neither of those appears to be looking for their final payday. Also, Villa is continuing to spend multiple millions each season purchasing up and coming 16 to 18 year olds and these are starting to break through to the 1st team (Ross Wilson a couple of weeks ago joined the Villa u23s). Of course, only time will tell, but there does appear to be a balance between younger and older players joining under Slippy's tenure.
Jolly good
How's it working out for yous

Alright mate, everything is great, our youth team is a steady stream of talent. They not only don't make it here they don't make it anywhere. In all honesty, it would be more cost effective to just wind up our underage system and simply buy every player for the first team. It would be cheaper, we could sack dozens of coaches, use a fraction of Finch Farm and renegotiate our lease.
Gordon alone pays for our entire underage system.

Yeah that's true. A 16 year-old has just left Saints for Chelsea this week as it goes.

The real problem comes down to the fact that clubs like Southampton have put far too much of their total income into the first team leaving far too little to be invested into their academy .So when it comes to investing say £100k per annum in an academy product they quite simply aren’t prepared to pay it and yes £100k a year is a lot for a first professional contract but wage inflation in football is off the scales and when you consider a few non league players are getting paid in excess of £300k a season it does make you scratch your head.

Chelsea actually have just signed a youngster from Brighton , said to be their top prospect , two from Southampton, one again said to be their top prospect, and only yesterday an 18 year old from Arsenal again said to be up there in terms of their prospects most of these players have only ever had scholarship contracts.If you are paying them even say £300k a year each that commitment is less than £4 million over three years . If one makes it then it’s good value.

Why do some on here hero worship Lampard ?

Are they Chelsea plants ?

Benitez had a summer spend of £1.7 million, Lampard will have drastically more.

Benitez left the club in 16th, Lampard had 18 games and kept us in 16th.

I dont hero worship Benitez likewise I dont hero worship Lampard, I support both and look at each of their circumstances objectively.

If anyone accepts 16th this coming season but claimed it wasn't good enough last season then they are hypocrites imo.

I stated 10th-12th was acceptable under Benitez and it still is in my eyes under Lampard because I dont pick and choose which EFC manager I want to see succeed.
Lampard who is currently on a -£60m spend will spend more. You're in for a surprise, Jimbo.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back