Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Everton Summer Transfer Thread - 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.
didn't Koldrop ask to be sold back to Fiorentina or somebody about a week after signing or something?!

I'm amazed BK didn't hail it a fantastic bit of out-going business tbh.
It was a weird one, the rumour at the time was that early on in training it turned out he couldn’t head the ball (or at least that was Moyes’ assessment) ?

Let me look see.

England Marcus Bent - England Ipswich Town, £450,000, 23 June
Australia Tim Cahill - England Millwall, undisclosed (estimated £2,000,000), 23 July
Australia Eddy Bosnar - Austria Sturm Graz, free, 4 August
I'd settle for another Cahill type.
Slow day?

It was a weird one, the rumour at the time was that early on in training it turned out he couldn’t head the ball (or at least that was Moyes’ assessment) ?
you'd have thunked that would have been one of the few things you might have double checked before signed a center back.

"hey lad, can you head it?"
"er... yeah. most of the time. only when it's in the air, like"
"great, welcome to Merseyside son".

(Then again maybe it was Moysie's accent lost in translation. "Absolute heeeed-the-ball that wee man").

A folklore mystery I guess...

I mean we are talking 4 and 6 million here.
That was buttons even then. Rio Ferdinand joined Leeds for 18 million 5 years earlier for example.
It's always those two aswell. We spent the same sort of fees on Yobo, Lescott, Jagielka, Baines, Distin etc but because there are two players in the £4-6m bracket who didn't work out it's evidence that he couldn't be trusted with money.

You'd think experienced scouts and coaches would have come to that conclusion before we signed him. WTAF was our scouting and coaching team on at the time.

I’ve seen a few in here saying that we need to be frugal for a couple or years and start a reset in a couple of years once the losses from the last few years are no longer being taken into account.

While that might be the best solution in an ideal world, it overlooks the fact that the club surely don’t want us to go into Bramley Moore with a team that hasn’t been improved for several years. It also overlooks the fact that the fan base is angrier now than it ever has been in my view and anything similar to last year will be met with all sorts of things.

Lastly it overlooks the fact that the money in the PL is going up so even newly promoted teams will be spending big and if we fail to even keep pace with those teams, we will be long gone before we even get to the point where our profit and loss sheet is clear.

In my view, we should be telling the PL that while we will not go to crazy lengths we have been before, we will still invest in the team to some extent and look to gradually reduce our losses year on year.

I think the PL would take that as I’d like to hope that they would want Everton in the PL and they’d want an Everton with a new stadium also.

In my view, we should be telling the PL that while we will not go to crazy lengths we have been before, we will still invest in the team to some extent and look to gradually reduce our losses year on year.

I think the PL would take that as I’d like to hope that they would want Everton in the PL and they’d want an Everton with a new stadium also.
The Prem currently is still signing off on all our transfer business to ensure rule compliance, isn't it? They're not going to let us spend a few more quid based on pinkyswear promises not to go toooo crazy this time. The rules are set, we knew them, we have to operate within them or fall foul of them.

As for 'wanting' us in the Prem, outside the Sky Six who generate most of the broadcast revenue and interest, I doubt they care too much who the Misc 14 happen to be from one year to the next. The Prem is still sold as a 20-team product, us being in it probably doesn't matter much more than Wolves or Saints or Wham or Fulham or Norwich in the bigger scheme of things.

Last edited:
I’ve seen a few in here saying that we need to be frugal for a couple or years and start a reset in a couple of years once the losses from the last few years are no longer being taken into account.

While that might be the best solution in an ideal world, it overlooks the fact that the club surely don’t want us to go into Bramley Moore with a team that hasn’t been improved for several years. It also overlooks the fact that the fan base is angrier now than it ever has been in my view and anything similar to last year will be met with all sorts of things.

Lastly it overlooks the fact that the money in the PL is going up so even newly promoted teams will be spending big and if we fail to even keep pace with those teams, we will be long gone before we even get to the point where our profit and loss sheet is clear.

Don't think that's an ideal world scenario, it's just a realistic and sensible approach.

The priority is going into BM in the premier league and that's it, anything in addition would just be a bonus at this stage.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back