Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Everton Summer Transfer Thread - 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.
Links to
Mad to think some people are hoping a lad who couldn't do the business for Norwich will somehow become our midfield maestro. That's how far we have fallen. Being lightweight isn't his only issue.

He played 2 through balls in 24 Premier league games last season. Created 1 big chance and got 1 assist in total from his 1,136 passes (235 backwards passes / 337 forward passes / the rest sideways). He conceded as many penalties as provided assists. He had 18 shots in his 24 games with 33.3% of them on target.

Doucoure's statistics are better in almost every category when breaking it down proportionally. And he still gets a lot of stick on here.

I'd back him if he came to us but he isn't the answer for me. Norwich fans generally hated him and any Google of his name in relation to them is generally negative. So why is he good enough for us?

We're a far cry from NSNO these days.
I think you’re absolutely bang on here pal, bang on.

We’ve fallen so far, the standards have fallen so far. As you say, Gilmore is absolutely not the player we need to be signing right now, for so many reasons. Folk might try to convince themselves he’ll do a good job but suspect they have his debut against Liverpool and the game for Scotland against England in mind when they think about him.

People are just getting desperate for some sign of positivity. Same as last year when folk tried to convince themselves that losing James and Siggi and replacing them with Gray and Townsend would be a great plan, see us attacking at pace and rocketing up the league…

How many new first team players do you guys reckon will be in our line up come opening day of the season? I'm hoping for 3...not including Tarkowski ! hopefully two midfielder's and a striker at least...fingers crossed ?
I will tell you know that only Tarkowski will play on the opening day, further signings may come at the very end of the window.

No planning again for the upcoming season

Gilmour is 5 years younger, far far more potential, will be massively lower in wages and has resale value if he flops winks doesn't, if both kicked on then Gilmour has way more value than winks.

Both coming off a poor year, but one was in a horrendous Norwich side the other in a very good spurs side.

Gilmour every day of the week given the choice

I considered the possibility of Gilmour and Winks today, going full Swansea.

*Scenes

All day. Why? Here's why in comparison to Gilmour in 5 more appearances (and minus the goals):

700 more passes
190 more passes forward
4 times as many through balls
6 times as many big chances created
Twice as many interceptions
50% more tackles won

These statistics are much more positive so not sure why we're comparing the two. It's not fair to Gilmour I get that but he's far from his standard and, in my opinion, wouldn't improve us enough to take the gamble.
In 20/21, the year he placed 3rd in the balon d'or, won the european champs and CL... his prem stats were:
28 games
No goals from open play
1783 passes 3 big chances created and 1 assist along with 1 error leading to a goal
14 shots

Stats can be funny things depending on how you try and paint them.

And this is the guy that came 3rd in balon d'or so yeah an unfair comparison.

Btw Gilmours 84% passing in that Norwich side last season is above everyone we have.

Physical presence is becoming the stick to beat Gilmour (or Winks) with but I think if you play 3 at the back the extra cover does allow you some leeway to play primarily footballing sixes- especially when you have an athletic CB like a Godfrey who can quickly step up to put challenges in in midfield when required.

Our biggest issue is a lack of footballing ability in the centre of the park and someone like Gilmour helps solve that. Our ball retention last season was terrible but the more we can retain it the less we need to regain it. A big physical clogger might not be the 6 we need at all.

Gilmour will get called a crab because he can pass, but has no physical presence.

Doucoure will get called a Donkey or workhorse, because he has physical presence and can’t ping a ball 50 yards.

GOT, is just to predictable these days.

In 20/21, the year he placed 3rd in the balon d'or, won the european champs and CL... his prem stats were:
28 games
No goals from open play
1783 passes 3 big chances created and 1 assist along with 1 error leading to a goal
14 shots

Stats can be funny things depending on how you try and paint them
Without wanting to get involved in the actual debate, it seems fair to assume the fact he won the CL and euros played a significant part in him placing 3rd in the ballon d’or, and so using only his PL stats is a misrepresentation of the facts to make a point.

I’ve probably watched Gilmour more than most here. One thing he will do, if you do get him, regardless of where he’s played, he will make the rest of the team play, or at least try to play, possession football. It was almost an instant change, as soon as he played for Scotland, the rest of the team took the lead from him and suddenly seemed a lot calmer and more assured in possession.

Without wanting to get involved in the actual debate, it seems fair to assume the fact he won the CL and euros played a significant part in him placing 3rd in the ballon d’or, and so using only his PL stats is a misrepresentation of the facts to make a point.
Nah, winning the CL and Euros is 100% why he was nominated and placed for the balon d'or, and im not even putting them close to each other.
But his PL stats as a midfielder is a direct comparison to another midfielders premier league stats, not misrepresented at all.

The stats supplied on here about the direction of his passes need to be read to be believed. People would be tearing their hair out watching a constant movement of the ball backwards and sideways.

He's one of those players that De Boer or one of those other recycling the ball fixated drones love. If that's Lampard's preference we are in for a world of pain here.

I just dont see this happening myself. He's obvioulsy not PL quality.
Who would be your choice for that role David ?
Really interested .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back