Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Everton Summer Transfer Thread - 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.
can competent be included in one of those options?!?
I guess that's ultimately what I'm getting at... if he's competent, is he worried or calm - and which one of those would be the best news for us?

His hands are certainly tied, financially, so I'm not looking to peg blame on him... I just wonder how he's feeling about the situation. I'd like him to be both calm and under no illusions that we absolutely need to sign players as soon as we can.

Lampard will not want to be the man who gets us relegated. He'll know that will happen if we're not able to significantly strengthen the squad in the next month. Wouldn't be surprised if he walked out on us.
Don't see Frank walking away from a Prem job in a month of Sundays. If we were to get relegated with him at the helm I'm sure the media luvies will be quick to blame the players and the ownership, not the manager who shouldn't be judged; just like they did with their favourite Benny.

Needs to be 2 or 3 in before Blackpool. We have a decent start to the season in terms of fixtures and we need to start well. If we throw that away by panic signing someone like Jordan Ayew or the likes at the end of the window 5 games into the season we will be in trouble very early on.

The 'judge us at the window' line is worrying and the fact we don't have players in already because these players we do have clearly aren't good enough to stay up and I don't trust them to ride out the first 5 or so games while new signings gel into the squad. The whole point of pre-season is to gel as a side and we are going to have perhaps 1 game before the season where signings can do that. Probably none which isn't good enough.
Ideally sure, but most teams are going to be doing deals on/by deadline day, as always happens. I doubt any club has finished doing all their summer business at this point in July.

I'm not making excuses but we can safely assume that nobody wants to take Andre Gomes and his £100k a week wage mate.
Double-edged sword.

No one will buy him, or even loan him, while he’s here on that money.

He’s also not walking away from it until his contract expires. The same way Tosun and Delph wouldn’t.

Gomes‘ Next contract (if he even wants one) will probably be for a lower mid-table Spanish or Portuguese side. He’ll be on 5-10k a week.

The best we could do with him would be a 1mil loan fee and 1 mil of his wages being covered. He might not even want to go out on loan though. Life’s good at finch farm, and the rest of our midfield is so bad/injury prone that he’ll probably get a few decent chances at different points of the season.

The problem is that none of our players will be wanted right now. They’ll be top of nobody’s wish list. We may get a few out on loan in the last week of the window.

Going to be a long hard season unless thelwell knows of a few gems. It seems that our current situation is very much the financial chickens coming home to roost.

I'd honestly be tempted to say 'f' it and go over what we can spend mate, knowing that the next season we lose a big loss year off the books and a lot of out if contract players will leave.

It's weighing up the risk of a points deduction (doubt they would as I suspect a fine would be issued as 'first warning' - I'd also make noises about legally challenging any punishment as a way of making the premiership cautious about coming down too hard), as otherwise we risk being too worried about a future possible punishment to the extent we end up hamstringing ourselves and stumbling into the season with a squad which could go down, the financial cost of which would outweigh massively any punishment the league could throw at us.

Not suggesting we go absolutely mental and throw 300m and 200k wages around.

But operate at the level where you can show you've implemented a more sensible wage structure (cap at 80-90k on any incoming) but spend considerably on fees to get the players you actually want and need.

P&S has two facets to it, incoming to outgoing - that's what I'm suggesting we say 'f' it too and yes breach it. And it has wages as percentage of income, that's what I'm suggesting we show a reduction in with a 'structure' that will see it reduce further over time.

Breech one reg whilst showing willingness to comply with another, makes it more difficult for them to drop the hammer (especially as we will have given them the opt out by showing we are moving towards compliance in one part)

It's worth noting as well that any punishment would be for 2023/24 (I.e the season after next).

Lacks of goals up front. Weak in cm. And don’t ever player Keane again.

Skint but should sign a couple of players to give Frank the option.

Cornet (£17.5m), Gilmour (loan; don’t care cos I don’t want Davies playing), Grillitsch (free), Januzaj (free).

Pickford

Patterson Mina Tarkowski Mykolenko

Doucouré Grillitsch Iwobi

Januzaj Calvert-Lewin Cornet
Agree 100% re Keane.

BUT:

Why bring in Gilmour and then not play him?

Why start Januzaj over Gray and Gordon?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back