Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Everton Summer Transfer Thread - 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.
Tbh if Gray and Gordon are our starting wide players this season then we're in trouble too. The two of them are simply not creative enough and both try and do the same thing too often.
They've both got stars in their eyes on the ball, they want to do everything themselves, dribble past 3 defenders and spank it in to the top corner. Sadly, Gray achieves that maybe twice a season and Gordon, as far as I can recall at least, has never done it. That's what coaches are for, I suppose, to try and coach that out of them. I agree, though, if our front 3 is Gray, Gordon and DCL up front with Iwobi, Townsend and Rondon as the only realistic replacements we are not going to score a lot of goals.

Which is why we need signings. Which I'm not optimistic about getting. Which is why I am very worried about the season ahead.

I don’t know how true it is, but I’ve seen people claim that we are making bids in which we want to delay payment until this time next year. I really hope this is nonsense because no selling club will ever entertain that during the summer transfer window, and it would also indicate a reluctance to spend the money that we have received this transfer window like any other normal football club would do.

Actually mate, selling clubs do that all the time, pretty much any loan with obligation is that deal in essence, PSG did it with Mbappe, We did it with Kean, Spurs have several loans 18/24 month ones under similar deals.

We even did it with Barry from City, even funnier as we loaned him with a fee to be paid when he signed the following Sumner when he was effectively out of contract at that point ?

On straight sales - saints bought Livoremento (sp) from Chelsea last season - they don't actually pay any of the fee until next Sumner for another example.

Is it normal practice, nope, is it still pretty much accepted - yup, we aren't trying to reinvent the wheel here, just who we are offering these deals too kinda don't want them for various reasons, Burnley for example are in financial problems, Cornet gas a buy out which normally is fully paid to activate, so yup they will refuse.

Offer deals like that to Chelsea they'd accept as they don't need the income instantly and they'd use the payment structure to insert favourable clauses to them (Liveremento has a low buy back activated the year saints have to pay for example) loans like with Kean - we got a fee higher overall due to two added loan payments thsn a straight up sale etc.

Pickford, Tarkowski, Gordon, Gray & Calvert-Lewin are probably the only players with enough quality to start each week.

Mykolenko, Patterson, Godfrey, Doucoure, Iwobi & Allan are good enough backups / have good upside potential, but shouldn’t be starting.

Then you have a whole raft of unsuitable / turd players:

Coleman (too old)
Mina (too injured)

Get in the bin ?:
Holgate
Keane
Nkounkou
Gbamin
Davies
Gomes
Dele
Rondon
Townsend

That’s at least 9 players who need shifting.

And 6 starters needed to complete the first eleven, including a whole midfield and two full backs.

It’s a disgrace that the squad is in such bad shape.

In the meantime, I wouldn’t be adverse to using Welch at CB, Warrington & Price in midfield, then Mills & Dobbin as backup in the forward positions. It can’t be any worse than what we’ve got out there at the moment.
I got as far as mykolenko not being good enough to start then gave up.

Gordon will be a cracking player for us, I'm sure. But getting a full season out of him 90 minutes a game will burn him out. Positively there's a World Cup that will give our younger players some rest mid-season, which I think might be our only saving grace.

True. We absolutely need reinforcements in those positions too.

It’s shocking how bad yet expensively assembled that squad is.

I’d be phoning around every agent on the planet saying we’ve got these 9 players available for sale.

Get whatever we can for them, buy 3-4 first teamers with the proceeds and fill the rest up with youth until January; reassess then go from there.
We might well be doing that.

Pickford, Tarkowski, Gordon, Gray & Calvert-Lewin are probably the only players with enough quality to start each week.

Mykolenko, Patterson, Godfrey, Doucoure, Iwobi & Allan are good enough backups / have good upside potential, but shouldn’t be starting.

Then you have a whole raft of unsuitable / turd players:

Coleman (too old)
Mina (too injured)

Get in the bin ?:
Holgate
Keane
Nkounkou
Gbamin
Davies
Gomes
Dele
Rondon
Townsend

That’s at least 9 players who need shifting.

And 6 starters needed to complete the first eleven, including a whole midfield and two full backs.

It’s a disgrace that the squad is in such bad shape.

In the meantime, I wouldn’t be adverse to using Welch at CB, Warrington & Price in midfield, then Mills & Dobbin as backup in the forward positions. It can’t be any worse than what we’ve got out there at the moment.
Had keep Michael Keane out of that lot. Gets to much criticism. Well Done Michael. What a fabulous goal against Palace. EFC forever.

What is the potential for some youth players to crack the starting 11 or at least get significant playing time? Mills, Warrington? At least they have some fight in them. The attitude of the squad is what really needs to change.

They've both got stars in their eyes on the ball, they want to do everything themselves, dribble past 3 defenders and spank it in to the top corner. Sadly, Gray achieves that maybe twice a season and Gordon, as far as I can recall at least, has never done it. That's what coaches are for, I suppose, to try and coach that out of them. I agree, though, if our front 3 is Gray, Gordon and DCL up front with Iwobi, Townsend and Rondon as the only realistic replacements we are not going to score a lot of goals.

Which is why we need signings. Which I'm not optimistic about getting. Which is why I am very worried about the season ahead.
I'm optimistic we'll get signings. But they'll be late on.

And it's not for a lack of trying. I am happy to blame the idiots in charge for putting us in this mess, and I do blame them. However, as a result of the mistakes they've made, it means that we are going to be pushed to the wire with a lot of deals because we simply have no bargaining power with clubs, even if players want to come here (like Cornet and Gibbs-White).

It's a horrid catch 22 to be in. I'm hopeful we'll see one new face in before the Chelsea game - in a perfect world, two. I reckon we get 4 more in in total but expect most of them to be done in the last week.

None, but we aren't a top 6 club and haven't finished top 8 since 2018-19, mate. We won't be anywhere near that this year, either.

I agree with you; and with players like Mykolenko starting at left back every week, we won’t be any time soon either.

Our aspirations HAVE to be to improve these average players in order to move up the table.

I agree with you; and with players like Mykolenko starting at left back every week, we won’t be any time soon either.

Our aspirations HAVE to be to improve these average players in order to move up the table.
It does, but Mykolenko is 23, he improved a lot over the course of the few months he was here last season. It's a poor example to use IMO when you've got the likes of Gomes, Keane etc who are truly the ones who need chasing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back