Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Everton Summer Transfer Thread - 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.
He must have had more mate. I remember him getting 3 assists at Sunderland and 1 at West Brom. I'm sure he got another couple.

He started well. It might have just been a lucky spell. We will.never know really.
I actually thought he was one of our better players that season before the injury, his link up with lukaku looked promising, as you say, we’ll never know how it would of turned out for him.

Pickford
Patterson-Mina-Tarkowski-Mykolenko
Doucouré-Gana-Allan
Gordon-DCL-McNeil​
Gana isn't a holding number 6 - he's great at what he does but his game is winning the ball back and pressing. He has never been great at screening the back 4 and sitting in front of it like you'd want a number 6 to do.

I'd be fairly surprised to see Lampard play Gana in this role

I suspect we are likely to stick with the 343, personally, but we'll see. This is highly dependent on who the midfield signings we make are between now and the end of the window, but I'd be highly surprised to ever see a midfield three like the one you've put there. Plus Gordon and McNeil will play on the opposite sides to what you're suggesting there too.

As much as I personally prefer 4-3-3 as a formation, I cannot see Frank deviating from 5-2-3, he has been burnt too many times by this lot to not have significant protection at the back.

I think Gana will play in a two with Iwobi and then two of McNeil, Dele, Gordon and Gray as inverted wingers. It allows Patterson and Mykolenko to provide the width, which I think particularly suits Patterson and his defensive limitations.

We have also recruited for the 5-2-3 formation, so would be weird if 4-3-3 became our default.
Not sure what makes you think the recruitment this summer has been skewed towards a 523. We've signed a starting CB, a backup FB and played McNeil as a RW (so far). That's every bit as useful to a 433 as a 523.

The Blackpool game shows why we will struggle with a 523 against Prem opposition - our midfield can't bring the ball forward when there's only two of them, and get completely bypassed when the opposition is in possession.

The number and type of midfielders we recruit in what's left of the window will dictate our default tactics.

Is it just me that hates the 3-4-3 that Frank plays.

I’ve never seen a 3/5 at the back consistently work at Everton and a midfield 2 is outgunned against almost every opposition.

I think it's all about personnel - our midfield options while Lampard has been here have been relegation standard. I don't blame him for adapting that. 343 has worked for some sides - Tuchel and Conte are both big fans of wing back systems for example. To make it work you need really good attacking wing backs and inside forwards who are a proper attacking threat. We are some way away from it, but I don't mind which system we play as long as the personnel are suited to it. Most people would seem to favour a 433, which is fine but we lack the number 6 to do it and Gana isn't the solution either.

Not sure what makes you think the recruitment this summer has been skewed towards a 523. We've signed a starting CB, a backup FB and played McNeil as a RW (so far). That's every bit as useful to a 433 as a 523.

The Blackpool game shows why we will struggle with a 523 against Prem opposition - our midfield can't bring the ball forward when there's only two of them, and get completely bypassed when the opposition is in possession.

The number and type of midfielders we recruit in what's left of the window will dictate our default tactics.

I think this is it really - whether we go 343 or 433 (or possibly 4231) will depend on who the midfield signings are in the next 4 weeks. Vinagre seems to be seen as more of a natural wing back than a full back (arguably the same as Patterson), so there's possibly a vague hint at a 343 there, but the biggest factor in what system we play will be who the midfielders are at the club after the window shuts. To play 433 you need a number 6. Gana's a cracking player, but to me he's never been a proper number 6 who sits in front of the back 4, screens it and is able to take the ball on the half turn and progress it through the lines. He's more of a pressing ball winner (like a Kante type, and Lampard never fancied Kante as a number 6 at Chelsea either), so I don't think that signing answers the question. If there's a further midfield signing, the profile of that player may well give you your answer as to what he's thinking.

We'll be due to pay another £20m if he is a regular this season. Not sure if that's good value if we're finishing around 15th.
All that anyone knows is it’s 10m after 20 games, anything else is speculation
Honestly, I think some of the Richarlison money was put aside to budget for him and I can see him bringing in the same goals and assists as Richy for a fraction of 60m and similar wage so it seems sensible to me

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back