Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Everton Summer Transfer Thread - 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.
I mean Dom should be back soon and we haven't been overran in any of our games so far. You may be right but I think it depends on the restrictions. Can't be looking to sell Gordon and doing what we did after selling Lukaku.

Maybe, but throwing all our eggs in that basket is just a bit stupid. There's absolutely no guarantee he comes back and stays fit. He hasn't put together any run of games in a year.

The club were planning to rely on him I reckon, but he broke down before we even got started. I'd hope they've learned the lesson.

We have done our business, mate. The Gordon situation is an unseen happening.

We have sold Richy and brought McNeil in, and plugged some defensive holes and CM.

Doms injury wasn't hoped for but Frank said that he will be back in a couple of weeks so if there is to be cover it would have to be a stop gap/loan/journeyman to make up the numbers.

Could not possibly disagree more.

Maybe, but throwing all our eggs in that basket is just a bit stupid. There's absolutely no guarantee he comes back and stays fit. He hasn't put together any run of games in a year.
That's a fair point. I mean 25m for Che is an awful lot of money for a 6 goal a season striker. I'm just wondering if we hold back a bit now will we have more freedom after a full proper season under Lampard?

Maybe
Did they go up when we got 60mil for Richy.
Maybe not but we got market value for Richy or maybe been less. If premier league clubs get wind we have close to £100m to potentially invest… I think the prices will go up. I hope not because we desperately need to make the money stretch

I have no idea what you are basing that on, certainly not the manager's quotes anyway.

But if it's true then we are nailed on for relegation
We have brought in;

McNeil
Vinagre
Coady
Onana
Tarkowski

Gana seemingly pending

Frank has said we only would be looking at short term cover if needed for Dom.

Losing both Richy and Gordon in one window would be a bitter pile to swallow but all things considered it has not been a bad window and we have plugged some gaps.

That's a fair point. I mean 25m for Che is an awful lot of money for a 6 goal a season striker. I'm just wondering if we hold back a bit now will we have more freedom after a full proper season under Lampard?

That would be the ideal thing to do, but I don't think we are in a position to do it. We have by far the worst front line in the league, with absolutely no goals.

If we don't strengthen the attack I think it's very likely we go down. There are no rubbish teams this season.

I think people are still overestimating our squad here. We have one good forward who is very injury prone, and no other goalscorers at the club.

We sold Richarlison for the same fee bandied around for Gordon 2 months ago.

We've had our only decent striker injured for over three weeks.

In all that time we've added precisely one semi attacking player in McNeil - one who doesn't actually score or assist much though.

Yet with 9 days of the transfer window left - already 3 games into the season, people are desperate to sell the only player left in the entire squad who any other teams in the league actually wants.

And all based on it's too much to turn down, we can fix all the holes with that amount.

Again 2 months ago we sold a player for 60m and 3 weeks plus our only other goalscorer broke down injured. So why on earth do people think selling Gordon will suddenly see our recruitment go to Brighton levels of efficiency.

Much much more likely is we pull the trigger on a couple of overpriced deals like Adams or McNeil calibre players. We loan a couple in and 20m goes towards new lawnmowers for BMD

Only difference in what happens now in keeping and selling Gordon is if he stays we maybe won't get a loan off Chelsea we could have if we sell.

The rest of the business will be pretty much the same regardless.

We have brought in;

McNeil
Vinagre
Coady
Onana
Tarkowski

Gana seemingly pending

Frank has said we only would be looking at short term cover if needed for Dom.

Losing both Richy and Gordon in one window would be a bitter pile to swallow but all things considered it has not been a bad window and we have plugged some gaps.

Could not possibly disagree more

If we lose both of those without replacements then we will be favourites for relegation. This window has been a bit of a disaster for me, I'm not having the narrative at all that the squad is strengthened because the proof is in the pudding on the pitch and we've been dire going forward.

Lampard literally said on Saturday that Forest had far better attacking options than us and that's something we really need to address. That's not the words of someone happy with their options.

I don't know what you guys have seen in Adams, but I see someone who works hard for the team, creates space for the central striker and scores between 5 and 10 goals a season. In other words, qualities that precisely none of our current squad have.
It's the fact that you need to use your recruitment to improve moving forward. If you invest in a player who is over 25 they have to really offer something different. Adams runs around and struggles to score, hence Southampton are always down near the bottom with us. We will then be lumbered with Adams on wages far beyond being commensurate with his actual ability and having spent a lot of money on him. Then it will be rinse and repeat all the time. A circle of ??.

There are players out there who allow us to grow as a club and invest smaller fees that we make back/make profit on. Signing players like Adams because we have set ourselves such low benchmarks is exactly why we have been poor for so long. In my opinion we have made a major mistake in signing McNeil, but because of his age we should be able to make back roughly what we have paid for him at some point. He also has age on his side to improve, though I think it unlikely.

Finding good players from unexpected places and not your relegation rivals is the whole point of a recruitment team.

It's all about the price in that regard. If he's genuinely available for £10m then you can easily get that back on him in 4 years as long as he doesn't completely fall off a cliff. I'm all for signing young players and have questioned some deals on that basis but it starts to get a bit daft when you're looking at a bloke who turned 26 last month as being too old to spend £10m on.
If he can be had at that price sure, but I can't see that one turning into anything other than a bidding war if Lyon forces him out rather than lose him on a Bosman. My money would be on ten Hag winning one of those.

Just reiterating what the club/Frank has said. I think that people are creating their own narrative on here which is not the same as the clubs. If Dom hadn't got injured we wouldn't be so fixated on a forward and Frank has said he is back in a couple of weeks so its not area they will be looking to spend serious money on. If we sell Gordon we might need a wide forward but I won't be surprised if they go with McNeil, Gray and Townsend.
Maybe but there's no goals there though we need two more goal scorers for me.

That would be the ideal thing to do, but I don't think we are in a position to do it. We have by far the worst front line in the league, with absolutely no goals.

If we don't strengthen the attack I think it's very likely we go down. There are no rubbish teams this season.

I think people are still overestimating our squad here. We have one good forward who is very injury prone, and no other goalscorers at the club.
I mean I wouldn't be against us getting someone who can score a few in on loan but only time will tell. To be fair to Rondon he has looked sharper. Maybe Adams or Ben Brereton Díaz would improve our goalscoring but neither is going to come for reasonable money. I would love it if we let the boys on the pitch be encouraged to try new things within reason and build up confidence playing good football like we showed signs of vs Forest.

If Broja is who we want surely we get that agreed with the Gordon deal. I am guessing there will be another wide forward incoming probably not a name we know right now

I mean I wouldn't be against us getting someone who can score a few in on loan but only time will tell. To be fair to Rondon he has looked sharper. Maybe Adams or Ben Brereton Díaz would improve our goalscoring but neither is going to come for reasonable money. I would love it if we let the boys on the pitch we're encouraged to try new things within reason and build up confidence playing good football like we showed signs of vs Forest.

Rondon is still very poor. He sort of holds it up, but he is never going to be a goal scorer

You can't survive in this league with no goals. If we don't sign a good striker then I think we have next to no hope.

I think we are going overboard a little about the Forest game. We passed it around ok at times but we didn't create clear chances against a very average side. I've been totally unimpressed and a bit dismayed to be honest at our lack of cutting edge. We don't have a front 3 good enough to be playing at this level.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back