Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Everton Summer Transfer Thread - 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.
Because we still don’t have a number 6 in the squad that Lampard trusts, hence the interest in Garner and Gueye.

If we bring in a striker we’re only really replacing Richarlison (unless he can play wide as well). We’d still need replacements for Gordon and Dele if they go. Great if we can get in a wide player and an attacking mid (Kudus hopefully), but if we cant’t then moving Iwobi wide might be necessary to balance the side. It’s not the position that was a problem for Iwobi previously, it was the fact he was lazy and couldn’t be arsed running. Lampard has now changed him into the hardest worker in the team. He’s shown it in midfield and wingback so no reason he couldn’t play wide for us.

Yeah we aren’t signing Garner and Gueye so I wouldn’t worry about it.

It’s different to draw too many conclusions from three weeks of fixtures. We looked good at a similar point last year.

Over 38 games it simply evens out to who has the best and worst squad. Our squad currently isn’t good enough in attacking positions but we at least know what the problem is. 8 huge days to sort it but I still think the opportunity to put together a squad that overall should be closer to mid table than the relegation zone.

The line you have to draw is why are we suddenly blighted by injury after injury, fitness is a big thing for me I get the impression that Lampard school of management is let the ball do the work but still some of our lads are blowing through their ar$e after 20 minutes...

Even if Gomes, Allan and Gbamin were fit, are they good enough?

Gomes I think Lampard has sussed out very quickly as a player he cant count on.
Allan last year of his deal and has his eye on his last move.
Gbamin? Pfft.

We could do with a decent, fit centre midfielder who can actually pass the ball forward, or as the football hipsters would say, progress the ball. That could be Onana, but it's a lot to put on him, and him alone in a debut season.

Can it be coached?
Yes. But it's not easy if the player doesn't already have an element of innate instinct, or isn't receptive to coaching.

I used to coach a couple of sports at university level. One particular one involved unlimited substitutions, with substitutions taking place during play (IE live ball situations)... The men's team I coached simply couldn't grasp the idea that they didn't have to wait for a dead ball to sub on/off, and the women's team refused to sub at any point other than the end of a quarter. I even took them to watch their sport being played by higher level clubs... Maybe 10% of them finally grasped it.

Another link to another player who is not a forward

Get a grip of this situation Kevin
Just because there is a link to a midfielder doesn't mean we are not looking for a striker too. Probably 3 out of 4 new player links are for strikers. Frank himself has said we need to strengthen that area on numerous occasions.

We need at least 2 new attacking options before the window closes. But Garner would also be an excellent addition in my opinion. It's a link I'm very happy to see.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back