Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Everton Summer Transfer Thread - 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.
They really are gambling big on short term success with these signings. Digne, Kamara, Coutinho and Carlos must have the wage bill through the roof and three of them zooming in on 30.
Danny Ings 30 very soon too. Him, Coutinho and Digne no stranger to an injury as well.

If they click and stay injury free they could look like a proper team though. They seem to be able to get their deals done very quickly and without the whole world nothing weeks before hand.

They really are gambling big on short term success with these signings. Digne, Kamara, Coutinho and Carlos must have the wage bill through the roof and three of them zooming in on 30.
They're like us about five years ago. For all their spending, they are not actually much better off than we are right now.

They’re new Everton…Flashy signings for big money that will take them to mid table but nothing more. Then 5 years on when they’re up against it with FFP, they’ll be dragged back down the table and be scrambling for survival and how to skirt around the rules.
I'd go further. Unlike Everton, Aston Villa have no history of being unrelegatable. They have been the biggest club to yo-yo between divisions over the last 35 years, in that they have been down twice in that time (1987 and 2016). Even if you look at them now, they are only a handful of points better than, by common consent, the worst Everton team this century. I don't think they have the margin of error that we had - and look how closely we skirted with disaster.

They'll maybe know but frankly there's zero historical evidence of them using that information smartly. Maybe you've seen different forward planning since Moshiri took over.
No, that’s why I said it’s normally a big criticism of how they do business. My point is not that they normally do it, but that it would be good if they were doing it this time.

Danny Ings 30 very soon too. Him, Coutinho and Digne no stranger to an injury as well.

If they click and stay injury free they could look like a proper team though. They seem to be able to get their deals done very quickly and without the whole world nothing weeks before hand.
And at this point, I wouldn't actually have Digne back - so, frankly, I don't think he's remotely worth the money he is on given the utter lack of improvement that he is now capable of as he ages. That was good business by Everton.

I'd go further. Unlike Everton, Aston Villa have no history of being unrelegatable. They have been the biggest club to yo-yo between divisions over the last 35 years, in that they have been down twice in that time (1987 and 2016). Even if you look at them now, they are only a handful of points better than, by common consent, the worst Everton team this century. I don't think they have the margin of error that we had - and look how closely we skirted with disaster.
No team is unrelegatable...history means nothing in today's Football Leagues.

You live and die by money and astute buys.

You get that wrong and you are relegatable.

We have a margin of error?...er...no.

Quite the opposite actually, it's around £100m and their annual turnover is around £180m so they actually have a fair bit of wiggle room, I was quite surprised at how small their wage bill is.

No team is unrelegatable...history means nothing in today's Football Leagues.

You live and die by money and astute buys.

You get that wrong and you are relegatable.

We have a margin of error?...er...no.
The point I am making is some clubs go down easier than others. I use the word "unrelegatable" flippantly. After our season, you'd have to be blind to imagine we couldn't drop.

But our margin of error WAS larger than Villa's currently is. We were as high as seventh under Koeman. We have burned through that contingency now, though, and are, basically, one of the six most-likely to drop teams in 2023.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back