Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Everton Summer Transfer Thread - 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.
Generally accepted logic for free transfers is that wages/signing on fees are higher to offset lack of fee, no? The lowest I’ve read re Tarkowski’s wages is £90k a week. IMO that’s an overpayment.

Last salary info I can find for Cornet was £60k a week at Lyon. I imagine he got a bump signing for Burnley and would want another coming to us so I’d assume ~£80k a week, maybe? I get it can be the nature of the beast in his position but he seems far too patchy, for me, to justify that.

I agree with you that we’re having to shop in the bargain bin but I refuse to believe - especially in Cornet’s case - we couldn’t find better value in lower/lesser leagues. THAT is where our rivals have had the edge over us in recent years. We need to be unearthing gems, not waiting for other PL teams to do it and then paying over the odds.

I just think with our budget constraints unless we make a big sale we need to look at the starting 11's current weaknesses and address them. For example:

1. Lack of a leader/grock at the back - Tarkowski

2. No creativity in midfield - Eriksen

3. Not many goals in the side - Cornet

For £17.5 million you could essentially solve 3 of the sides biggest issues leaving money to bring in that natural CDM we clearly lack.

Think Cornet is lazy journalism but we should be all over that at £17.5 millions which is nothing these days.

Lets be honest yes Gordon is scouse but he also has very little end product and Gray is inconsistent.

Having him and Richarlison flanking DCL gives us more potency up top.

In all honesty, Richarlison is likely to go, and Cornet would be a decent like for like replacement at a lower fee.

Wages like that isn't really how it works with relegated players, Tarkowski is obviously gonna be on more since he's a free transfer so that's fine, if Cornet was really on £80k a week at Burnley they'd certainly have had a relegation wage clause in his contract which could drop it massively. He could quite easily be only on £50k or less a week now depending on that clause with basically no bargaining power so whatever it would hypothetically be wouldn't be significant for us and what we've paid players.
Honestly I’m clueless about such matters, so if that’s the case it would be a much more palatable signing.

Tarkowski should still be a massive swerve, though!

I'd 100% take him
Eriksen would be a dream signing, exactly the classy player we need in the middle. I imagine it'll be an uphill struggle mind you - guessing Spurs would be his first priority and if not then a club like Newcastle could blow us out of the water financially. But with the money coming off our wage bill got to at least get our hat in the ring for him.

A reminder that there is some real quality to be had on a free..... Christiansen, Dembele, Belotti, Tarkowski, Lingard, Ramagnoli, Felipe, Denayer, Grillitsch, Eriksen, Toliso, Bernadeschi.

Caveat: Not sure how up to date this is

Eriksen would be a dream signing, exactly the classy player we need in the middle. I imagine it'll be an uphill struggle mind you - guessing Spurs would be his first priority and if not then a club like Newcastle could blow us out of the water financially. But with the money coming off our wage bill got to at least get our hat in the ring for him.
Not too sure Spurs need him. Newcastle in the other hand , wouldn't surprise me one bit if they went in for him. We need to start acting fast in these windows , especially that there are loads off half decent free agents available

A reminder that there is some real quality to be had on a free..... Christiansen, Dembele, Belotti, Tarkowski, Lingard, Ramagnoli, Felipe, Denayer, Grillitsch, Eriksen, Toliso, Bernadeschi.

Caveat: Not sure how up to date this is

And watch, we will either get none , or the worst possible one haha

What would lessons learnt look like for you mate?
Younger, outside the PL, not players from relegated sides largely (there's probably one player between the three sides that is of a good enough standard and while Cornet and Tarkowski are candidates they also might not be the guy), players who are "undiscovered" so to speak (that weird Ederson link from Salernitana as an example). And most of all bought to fit specific roles in a specific set up.

Younger, outside the PL, not players from relegated sides largely (there's probably one player between the three sides that is of a good enough standard and while Cornet and Tarkowski are candidates they also might not be the guy), players who are "undiscovered" so to speak (that weird Ederson link from Salernitana as an example). And most of all bought to fit specific roles in a specific set up.

Fair point.

I suppose it's what premium you put on someone knowing the league really isnt it mate?

That Edersons numbers looked very good though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back