Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Everton Summer Transfer Thread - 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.
Love how we are dismissing a whole season of evidence in favour of one decent match with Gilmour.
I didnt see the match Gilmour played in, but the evidence is there that he has the potential to be a really good player, despite having a bad season.

You dont make it into Chelsea´s first team at that age, and stand out a number of times, without having some sort of calibre. You just wouldnt make it to even train with the first team...

I think that its more likely he has a good career at the top level rather than not to be honest, even if his confidence took a battering and he didnt play well in one of the worst sides the league has ever seen.

The one against us was much more than decent. It was a handful of similar games and a couple for Scotland too. Granted it’s not much evidence! But he wouldn’t be the first young player to have a bad season on loan and then go on to do well. But I definitely understand the concern. And it’s his most recent experience.

Harry Kane played at Norwich early in career and looked bang average at best

Tbf he might still not. Its hardly a ringing endorsement that united are interested. It was the same when they appointed rangnick after we turned him down 3 times and he turned out to be an awful chancery. Plenty of awful players have looked good for Ajax or PSV.

This is not necessarily my opinion on him as like almost everyone else I've never seen him play
Yeah me neither. Soumaré was another and Leicester are binning him after one season...

I think that story has come from the players side to be honest anyway to try and drum up interest

Not dismissing it, but I'd add a couple of caveats

Firstly, given that we are talking about the 7th worst side in the history of the Premier League, it's probably fair to say that shining in the heart of that side might not be the easiest thing in the world

Secondly, I think it's also unfair to suggest that he was terrible the whole season. He struggled at times, absolutely, but there were some good games and certainly plenty of flashes in a number of games of the quality he has

Not generally a huge fan of YouTube highlights, but it's sort of illustrative of my 2nd point

Hes quality mate.

I have to confess that I haven't seen Gilmour play for Norwich.

I have seen him play for Chelsea ( against us ) and a couple more times and he was outstanding retaining and using the ball . Perhaps MOM against us.

He was also very good for Scotland v England.

So , had it not been for the Scotland game I would have been firmly in the camp of a player who looks good when his team have lots of possesion and surrounded by better players.

TBH I still think that's my view and if you played him with Doucoure and Allan , or worse still in a midfield 2 he would be lost .

Clearly a very technical player. If you brought in another technical player ( say Zinchenko ) and played with a 3rd midfielder then I think he could be a good acquistion.

I suspect that he would be available for a reasonabe fee given that Chelsea are overstocked in midfield , the new rules on loan players , that his stock has fallen and the relative short length of contract left.

The "problem" I have with people bigging up Lampard / Chelsea links is it really can only work once. We could probably get Gilmour as he's a year left but you'd have to figure out from there what we could get from them. We are only allowed one (1) loan from a PL club at a time. That's why I was thinking maybe we could do something a bit dodgy and "buy" Broja or Gallagher for 20m and have a mandatory buyback option from Chelsea for about the same amount? I dunno but we aren't getting 4 players from Chelsea.

The "problem" I have with people bigging up Lampard / Chelsea links is it really can only work once. We could probably get Gilmour as he's a year left but you'd have to figure out from there what we could get from them. We are only allowed one (1) loan from a PL club at a time. That's why I was thinking maybe we could do something a bit dodgy and "buy" Broja or Gallagher for 20m and have a mandatory buyback option from Chelsea for about the same amount? I dunno but we aren't getting 4 players from Chelsea.

Why not? We can buy as many as we want from them if we have the cash and they're for sale.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back